School advice

Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

NorthernLass is on a distinguished road
Default School advice

I have 2 step daughter, in September of this year they will be 13 starting year 9 and 15 starting year 10. We are trying to decide if it would be best for them to join us straight away (heading to Brisbane Jan 2007) or to visit during the holidays and then come over after their GCSE's. My concern is that if they finish school in Oz will they get qualifications that are equivalent to GCSE's and are recognised in the UK if they want to come back and go on to do A levels. Also what age do they sit their final exams? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:51 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School advice

Originally Posted by NorthernLass
I have 2 step daughter, in September of this year they will be 13 starting year 9 and 15 starting year 10. We are trying to decide if it would be best for them to join us straight away (heading to Brisbane Jan 2007) or to visit during the holidays and then come over after their GCSE's. My concern is that if they finish school in Oz will they get qualifications that are equivalent to GCSE's and are recognised in the UK if they want to come back and go on to do A levels. Also what age do they sit their final exams? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Final Exams (A levels) are done in year 12 when they are about 17-18.

Education in OZ is on a state level not a federal one. So there could be different standards depending on what state you live in.

As for them staying for GSCE, I'd ask them how they feel. If they will stay on at school in OZ then they can go for a trade or profession which will ultimately be able to be verified if they later choose to go back to UK or elsewhere.

GSCE means little here. Is more important in UK.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:54 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Final Exams (A levels) are done in year 12 when they are about 17-18.

Education in OZ is on a state level not a federal one. So there could be different standards depending on what state you live in.

As for them staying for GSCE, I'd ask them how they feel. If they will stay on at school in OZ then they can go for a trade or profession which will ultimately be able to be verified if they later choose to go back to UK or elsewhere.

GSCE means little here. Is more important in UK.
I think any higher secondary schooling completed in OZ will be acknowledged in UK. Best check UK education authorities about that, eg, department of education in UK.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I think any higher secondary schooling completed in OZ will be acknowledged in UK. Best check UK education authorities about that, eg, department of education in UK.
I think that the Australian qualifications will be more easily recognised in the UK than the other way around. But that's just my opinion.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

shellyoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My oldest has just finished his GCSE's, but my next one is due to do his exams next year but he like us wants to get out there ASAP, I told him he would probably have to fall back a year, but he said that's fine.
I don't think there is a right time to go as I have a four year old who will be starting school in September and also a 13 yr old.

We just think that they'll adapt, although my eldest is adamant that he is not coming, were are just hoping that when we go over to validate he will love it so much he won't want to come back, otherwise plan B, he stays with his nan.

Shelly