Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scared ... 2 weeks and we be in Perth

Scared ... 2 weeks and we be in Perth

Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all
Default Scared ... 2 weeks and we be in Perth

Hi all my husband I and 4 children will be taking the plunge in 2 weeks flying via hong kong . Will stop of for 2 nights . Never been to Perth , so it's very daunting ,have been to the other side though , we've rented out our house here in the uk hoping to sell it next year providing housing Market improves. our cats fly out in 10 days , the children are excited and upset also as leaving their friends . I am starting to panic and think have we made the right decision , did any of you guys feel the same ,????? we been trying to get in and over for the last 4/5 years talking about it constantly But now it's here and we are finally going I am cacking my pants lol .
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

tdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Scared ... 2 weeks and we be in Perth

Originally Posted by bruce n sheila
Hi all my husband I and 4 children will be taking the plunge in 2 weeks flying via hong kong . Will stop of for 2 nights . Never been to Perth , so it's very daunting ,have been to the other side though , we've rented out our house here in the uk hoping to sell it next year providing housing Market improves. our cats fly out in 10 days , the children are excited and upset also as leaving their friends . I am starting to panic and think have we made the right decision , did any of you guys feel the same ,????? we been trying to get in and over for the last 4/5 years talking about it constantly But now it's here and we are finally going I am cacking my pants lol .
Hi B&S - its perfectly normal to have "a bit of a wobble" now that all the planning and dreaming is becoming a reality. Its a nervy / exciting time and I guess if all you were feeling was apathetic indifference and sort of "ho hum" attitude than that would be more of a worry!

All the best!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It is natural, well I hope it is anyway! I remember thinking and saying to Mr BS "what the hell are we doing?" more than once. We have been here just over a month and I still think it and say it sometimes. But I am still putting it down to being a human being and not because I truly feel we have made a huge mistake. And I always keep in the back of my mind that the door to the UK is not closed to me and I find that a comfort in these early days. We would always give it a fair crack of the whip though and if it turns out that it is not for us we will have had an adventure.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice

You will be fine like you most of us arrivied only with our luggage,no house or anything or knowing anyone.
Its stressful at times but things work out good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Most people seem to have the same feelings. I migrated as a single, so it's a great advantage that you have each other. You'll be very busy the first couple of weeks or so. Don't be put off if you happen to arrive on a wet and windy night, remember that you're leaving the UK in summer and arriving in Perth in winter, but in only a couple of weeks Spring will start and you can start getting used to life in warm weather.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

You are bound to be nervous, I didn't actually have the 'what have I done' feeling till we got here and had started to try and put a new life together (rental, bank etc). As they say 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'. However, I now know it was the right move. My husband was not keen on migrating but says that he is pleased I stuck to my guns and made it happen as he loves his life here. You will go through a whole range of emotions but that is normal and to be expected. Good luck and enjoy the adventure
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

Thankyou guys so much for your reassurance as the days are getting nearer I am not sleeping , and worried about the cats flying and everything . Thankyou again <3
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Sooo know where your coming from! We had our leaving party last night. Said goodbye to lots of people, Still has not sunk in that it is happening!
OH flys in 10 days I keep saying, what the bloody hell are we doing! Its such a massive step. Kids are really excited though, which is good.
Good luck with everything.
Emma x
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Totally know what you are feeling - we fly to Perth in less than 3 weeks and I just don't feel organised - not sure it even feels real!

I keep having big wobbles but we are so busy getting things ready that's taking our minds off everything a bit. It's been such a long time in the planning but everything recently seems to have happened at once.

Just keep reminding yourself how lucky you are to have the opportunity, and how envious you would feel if it was your friend going instead of yourself - that's what I do and it does help.

Where about in Perth are you heading to?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Don't worry, we all get the wobbles. We went for the UK to New Zealand with hubs work and then he got offered a job here in Perth, so double whammy for us, but it's great, you live once go for it.
Our dog has soooo many airmiles and they look after them really well.
If you need anything just ask, there are loads of us from Perth on here to point you in the right direction and offer advice and practical help, like taking you to look at rentals.
We are in Quinns Rocks in the northern suburbs, it's quiet and a fair way from the CBD, but we love it.
Hope everything goes ok, it'll be worth it when you get yourself sorted, just don't expect it to happen over night.

Catkin
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys thanks for that , it's a comfort to know you all felt the same , at the moment we have sold nearly everything as we are coming with just cases !! . So we have a wonderful blow up bed to kip on , I could not handle it , so last night slept in my sons bed ,, lucky he stayed round his friends lol.
We fly in only 9 days !!!! Cats go to shippers next Tuesday think I will get drunk !!! . It's weird how for almost 5 years it's been talk and excitement then reality hits as it's so close to going . Our leaving party is on Saturday so 3 days time scary stuff , our kids our excited too which is good . We will be staying in a temporary rental in Connolly (nr joondalup) for 3 weeks hiring a car and driving around to find an area then schools , etc . We don't know anyone on Perth so friends are greatly appreciated !!! . Our kids are 16, 14, 11, and 8 . So Any advise or meet ups welcomed lol. Quinns looks nice , we had joondalup areas rockingham in mind but will have a good look around first , thanks again for the reassurance . Alot of people keep saying lucky buggers !! But it's not sunk in . I keep thinking what the he'll are we doing !!! X
Old Aug 19th 2010, 9:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys thanks for that , it's a comfort to know you all felt the same , at the moment we have sold nearly everything as we are coming with just cases !! . So we have a wonderful blow up bed to kip on , I could not handle it , so last night slept in my sons bed ,, lucky he stayed round his friends lol.
We fly in only 9 days !!!! Cats go to shippers next Tuesday think I will get drunk !!! . It's weird how for almost 5 years it's been talk and excitement then reality hits as it's so close to going . Our leaving party is on Saturday so 3 days time scary stuff , our kids our excited too which is good . We will be staying in a temporary rental in Connolly (nr joondalup) for 3 weeks hiring a car and driving around to find an area then schools , etc . We don't know anyone on Perth so friends are greatly appreciated !!! . Our kids are 16, 14, 11, and 8 . So Any advise or meet ups welcomed lol. Quinns looks nice , we had joondalup areas rockingham in mind but will have a good look around first , thanks again for the reassurance . Alot of people keep saying lucky buggers !! But it's not sunk in . I keep thinking what the he'll are we doing !!! X
As you know I am in Connolly, anything you need you have my numbers.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with it all & we'll see you out there!

We'll be landing in Perth 2 weeks today. We're heading just across Marmion Avenue from Quinns Rock.

We've already moved out of our house, re-homed our cats, I've had a leaving do with all my mates & I've had weeks of tears now. Yesterday we left mother-in-laws after a week there which was really hard. I even burst in to tears sat in a cafe with them all yesterday afternoon & set off my mum/sister-in-law I was sat cuddling my tiny 11 week old nephew (born 9 weeks premature) & realised he'd be running around next time I see him. We're now at my parents for the week. My sis, nephew & my 2 older boys (plus a girlfriend) will all be here for the weekend but my 14 year old daughter won't be as she is still refusing to talk to me because I'm moving away which is heartbreaking.

I sat in the car yesterday in tears asking hubby if we're really doing the right thing. I'm sure we are but these last few weeks are so hard. I've got a permanent headache from trying not to cry all the time.

Good luck to the others of you flying in the next few weeks. Looks like there's a few of us heading to Perth

Alison x
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

LoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really nice

Originally Posted by al150n
Good luck with it all & we'll see you out there!

We'll be landing in Perth 2 weeks today. We're heading just across Marmion Avenue from Quinns Rock.

We've already moved out of our house, re-homed our cats, I've had a leaving do with all my mates & I've had weeks of tears now. Yesterday we left mother-in-laws after a week there which was really hard. I even burst in to tears sat in a cafe with them all yesterday afternoon & set off my mum/sister-in-law I was sat cuddling my tiny 11 week old nephew (born 9 weeks premature) & realised he'd be running around next time I see him. We're now at my parents for the week. My sis, nephew & my 2 older boys (plus a girlfriend) will all be here for the weekend but my 14 year old daughter won't be as she is still refusing to talk to me because I'm moving away which is heartbreaking.

I sat in the car yesterday in tears asking hubby if we're really doing the right thing. I'm sure we are but these last few weeks are so hard. I've got a permanent headache from trying not to cry all the time.

Good luck to the others of you flying in the next few weeks. Looks like there's a few of us heading to Perth

Alison x
Aw all the best
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Alison , sounds like your having a hard time with the move , just like us we've had a few doubts but going for it , as if u really can't deal with it you can always come back . Think about the reasons you chose to go In the first place . I had a few weeks of feeling like you . Are your kids not going with you then ? Years ago technology was pants . But now we got skype and facebook , you can talk to your family free on the Internet . And oz is only a day away . And the best thing of all you can be our new friends so all is good when do u arrive ? We get to Perth 1st sep . Our cats are going too which is another added worry .big stress !! It's good u found some one to home yours . That must of been upsetting on top of everything else . This emmigrating lark makes us feel we are loosing everything . This blow up bed I am sleeping on is not a luxury I am used to lol . Tomorrow is the leaving party will post how it all goes . Good luck x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.