scams

Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default scams

Just a word of warning...

My dad phoned last night saying that he had been scammed by someone saying they were from one of the big banks, asked for his date of birth and the first and last initial of my mums maiden name.

Apparently they use the info to transfer money from your cards.

Within seconds he phoned the bank and cancelled all credit cards, they couldn't 100% confrim this was a scam, but considering it was 8.30pm and the call was from customer services and they close at 6.30pm..........

Advice from bank don't give out the slightest bit of personnel info, these people can use this to scam you! If the bank really need to get in touch they will write.

I wouldn't mind but my dad if the most careful person, he was just lucky that he realised that it didn't add up.

Cheers

Karen
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:31 am
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

I once got called.

The caller said to me "this is HSBC can you give me your date of birth"

I said "why".

They said "we can't tell you"

I said "then I'm not giving you my date of birth"

they said "can you confirm the first digit of your security code"

I said "why"

they said "we need to check you are who you say you are"

I said "but you called me"

they said "we need to validate you before we can talk to you"

i said "yeah, but you called me, remember?"

they said " ! "

I said "goodbye"

The best thing is that it was actually a genuine call. But how was I supposed to know that? It made me laugh.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a BIG scam on the rounds regarding credit cards...........someone rings you.........says they are from the credit card company and due to security can you just confirm your details...............sounds really stupid eh........but loads are getting caught out...........In my house it doesnt matter who rings I tell them I am not interested
Old Mar 19th 2004, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

If there's one thing I hate is cold-callers. We are ex-directory but we still get opportunists calling, usually in the evening, or Saturday mornings.

You can tell who they are when they call as they are virtually impossible to interrupt, immediately launching into their script when you pick the phone up. If I'm in a gentle mood I just put the phone on the side and carry on with what I was doing. Go back a couple of minutes later and they've usually given up! If I'm feeling particularly obnoxious, I will talk loudly over them saying 'DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? TELL ME WHO I AM AND I'LL TALK TO YOU.' They usually haven't a clue so I just put the phone down on them mid-banter.

sandy
Old Mar 19th 2004, 7:25 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Sandy.l
If there's one thing I hate is cold-callers. We are ex-directory but we still get opportunists calling, usually in the evening, or Saturday mornings.

You can tell who they are when they call as they are virtually impossible to interrupt, immediately launching into their script when you pick the phone up. If I'm in a gentle mood I just put the phone on the side and carry on with what I was doing. Go back a couple of minutes later and they've usually given up! If I'm feeling particularly obnoxious, I will talk loudly over them saying 'DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? TELL ME WHO I AM AND I'LL TALK TO YOU.' They usually haven't a clue so I just put the phone down on them mid-banter.

sandy

Hi - I work for Barclays Bank for the Business side of things, its not at all unusual for customer to ID us when we call them!! (and rightly so). One thing we would NEVER (and this goes for all banks) do is ask for security information over the phone or email unless you called us.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by mlbonner
Hi - I work for Barclays Bank for the Business side of things, its not at all unusual for customer to ID us when we call them!! (and rightly so). One thing we would NEVER (and this goes for all banks) do is ask for security information over the phone or email unless you called us.
There are always warnings on the websites for Internet banking which is good, I haven't received any fraudulent emails for banks. I'm not sure if the message is getting across to non internet users though (re phone calls). Glad to hear I'm not the only one who questions people on the phone!

sandy