Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

defacto relationship

defacto relationship

Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough
Default defacto relationship

At the moment we are at the migration stage and was just wondering what is involved, do we need to prove or relationship? and how will we prove that ? what will they ask for . Any one been in the same situation ? please help.:lecture:
Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:48 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: defacto relationship

Originally posted by JJL family
At the moment we are at the migration stage and was just wondering what is involved, do we need to prove or relationship? and how will we prove that ? what will they ask for . Any one been in the same situation ? please help.:lecture:
Not in ure situ myself ....... but in a word Yes!!!! you will have to prove ureselves....... you will need to show everything is in joint names..... rent/mortgage..... bills etc

love boomie
xx
Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

or is it easier to get married ? what documentation do u have 2 show the??
Old Mar 19th 2004, 2:13 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

or is it easier to get married ? what documentation do u have 2 show the??
nah, not necessary, if you can at least prove you've been living together for a year (so rental agreement, bills) And also travel together, joint bank accounts.
Joint membership of stuff...

There's plenty on here who've done the same, I'm sure you'll have some good replies in no time! (or use the search button, but be careful with mixing up with the partner visums, even though, the evidence is probably the same)

good luck
Old Mar 19th 2004, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are in a Defacto relationship. The evidence , all in joint names we used was,

bank/buliding society statement.
Council Tax statement
tax credit statement
holiday booking cofirmation
copy of our Wills
Details of personal loan
gas/electric bill
and also a declaration from both of us o how/when/why we met etc

Any questions, post on here
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

We had to prove we were in a defacto relationship.

As previously mentioned we had to supply bills, mortgage statement to prove we lived together. etc. We also got asked to supply photographs detailing on the back who was in them and when they were taken!

We had booked our wedding at a registry office at the time so also supplied the notice of intention to marry.

All has gone through ok and the visa was granted before our wedding.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:34 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: defacto relationship

I've posted this a few times before, but you're welcome to it again.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: doc
de facto 2.doc (33.5 KB, 94 views)
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:49 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Do a few searches, ask a few questions along the way on the forum and all will be well. I didn't have much of a clue about how to go about things before discovering this forum. Now my de facto visa is but an Aussie police check away from completion thanks to the good folk on Britishexpats.com!

You are in good hands!

Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

slowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud of

wat is a defacto relationship..

monkey girl
x
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:12 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by slowmacro
wat is a defacto relationship..

monkey girl
x
It's if you are together, just like if you are married, but you're not.
Well, that's how I understood it, don't know the official wording.
I hadn't heard of it either before getting into the visa proces!

Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

slowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud of

oh right lol.....

by the way my middle name is simone....

monkey girl
x
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:17 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, de facto relationships and spouse visas. The others are right - plenty of us kicking about on this site in the same situation. We were just about to post our de facto application when my mum fell ill, somewhat scuppering plans for the immediate future, but it does mean I've basically put the whole thing together, so I know what to aim for...

De facto - need to have been in a genuine and committed relationship for 12 months or more. Generally, this means that you have to have been living together for the previous 12 months and you'll have to prove it with a whole host of documentation (Steve's list) from joint bank statements, joint bills, joint receipts etc to statements from your near and dear. Then there's the medicals, police checks and forms...

Getting married makes very little difference to the application process - you still have to fill in the same forms, provide the same evidence and pay the same amount of money. Don't fall into the trap of thinking it will be easier/quicker if you have a marriage certificate, because it doesn't usually make any difference. It's just one more piece of evidence to add to your collection. Having kids together speeds things up, but not the best route to take if you don't have any already!

If you have been living as a couple for over 5 years you can skip the usual two year Temporary Residency part of the visa and move straight onto Permanent Residency (WBB knows all about this ). Otherwise you'll need to fill in a load more forms in two years' time to get permanent residency - not much of a hassle really as you pretty much repeat the process.

If you want the real lowdown on defacto applications, do a search from threads by AnthonyKirby as he had to provide every piece of evidence known to man.

Keep those questions coming, and make yourself very familiar with the DIMIA website for the forms and checklists etc

Good luck!

PS - Monkeygirl - de facto means much the same as common law, ie you are living as a married couple but don't have a piece of paper to prove it
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:40 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by S Oldfield
Hi,

We are in a Defacto relationship. The evidence , all in joint names we used was,

bank/buliding society statement.
Council Tax statement
tax credit statement
holiday booking cofirmation
copy of our Wills
Details of personal loan
gas/electric bill
and also a declaration from both of us o how/when/why we met etc

Any questions, post on here
All the above are excellent but joint names are not essential. Eg a bank statement from one at the same time and address as a gas bill to the other.

Instead of a will we put a copy of Mrs BPs Pension Fund statement with me as the beneficiary. I also scanned photos into powerpoint and arranged 3 or 4 to a sheet and numbered them. I put the index of photos including date and context at the end of the table of contents of evidence.