Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saying goodbye at the airport

Saying goodbye at the airport

Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice
Default Re: Saying goodbye at the airport

we are due to fly out 16th oct,unfortunatly we dont have parents, but it is gonna be really weird for us, we have seen off my sis she went to oz may 05, then my other sis went dec 06, so we have been on the side that stays, and have seen how upset they have been going, now unfortunatly we have my last sis to get there ( she is in the visa process) and she has got to wave us off at the airport.so think that is gonna hit us as we will be leaving her until she finally gets to come over. but for us we will be saying goodbye to my sis and hubbys brother and sis-inlaw and then will be meeting my sis and nephews other side , so we have somethig good to look forward to,

kels x
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

jennylouise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Good luck with it all Jenny-Louise x

S-j x
hi and thanks whereabout on the sunshine coast my bro and sister live in caloundra we loved it . jen lousie
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

When we decided to emigrate from day one we said no goodbyes at the airport.

But in the end my parents took us up there and we did our goodbyes... yes, it was emotional, but TBH I dont think it would have been any less emotional doing it at home, plus becuase we were at the airport and rushing to get to the departure lounge after a few minutes I was OK as I didnt have time to think about it!!! Had we got a taxi up to the airport I probably would have cried the whole way...!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

We didn't say goodbye at the airport because we didn't want our kids to remember it as an upsetting experience.

We are glad we said our goodbyes at home. It was very emotional saying goodbye but once we were at the airport it was less stressful. Somehow it made it easier to leave family behind...it felt as if we were just going on holiday.

If there are kids involved the flight is exhausting enough without having the added emotional exhausted on top. I didn't want to be an emotional crying wreck on the plane with people asking question. Plus we wanted to say a proper goodbye and not feel as if it was rushed trying to sort everything out at the airport. But everyone is different and you need to do what feels right for you.

Good luck and enjoy your new life in Oz.

Last edited by DebiE; Sep 21st 2007 at 4:21 am.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:35 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandmom
my advice .... DONT do it at the airport!

its stressful enough at the airport, theres loads of people around, you need to be in control at the airport.

say goodbye at home, get a cab, cry all the way to the airport if you need.

dont do it - trust me its awful, and its not a good way to get on the flight.
i agree 100% say your goodbyes at home
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennylouise
hi and thanks whereabout on the sunshine coast my bro and sister live in caloundra we loved it . jen lousie
Hi J-L,

initially we have booked temp accom at Peregian Beach. but who knows we have 2 wks to decide!!!

S-j x
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

s-j good luck and all the best
Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennylouise
s-j good luck and all the best

Thankyou very much J-L, I've just reread my post and it dosnt read very well. We go in 9 wks but have got 2 wks at Peregian Beach. Then will decide where to go from there.

What stage are you at and where would you settle?

Sarah-Jane xx
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

hello s-j we havent even started but with most of my family in brisbane i wouldnt mind settling there but just trying to find ways how we could go,as we have just come back from holiday in qld on the sunshine coast and we liked it so much that we are trying to find ways of going its hard isnt it even with family members already out there and permenat residents aswell,im just a bit scared they they may say that there is no way of emmigrating in to oz im a trainning hairdresser so havent got 6 years exp neither my hubby who qualifed as a bricklayer then there is the cut of age to consider,i know i will be gutted if i couldnt move closer to my family,
we was loking at maybe a working visa but they dont seem to be long term my o/h main job is hgv but again not on skills list so dont no
i will have to speak to an agent and put me out of this misery lol
well good luck to u and hope it all goes well
i know from what my sister who recently just emmigrated they are just waiting for all the furniture to come they have rented in caloundra but like u stayed at a hotel for a few weeks then stared looking at rented acommodation.
well nice to hear from and good luck once again j-l

Last edited by jennylouise; Sep 22nd 2007 at 12:17 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 1:48 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Lol, that's what we're gonna do
I lied, I've now told everyone the date we're going I kept it quite for a good hour though
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Clippies
I lied, I've now told everyone the date we're going I kept it quite for a good hour though
We have now booked a night in a hotel after reading all the posts on this thread got me all emotional!!.

So thought as someone suggested say goodbye the day before flying and then stay at hotel ready to start a fresh the next day really dont wont anyone at the airport it will be upsetting enough.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:07 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mum01753
We have now booked a night in a hotel after reading all the posts on this thread got me all emotional!!.

So thought as someone suggested say goodbye the day before flying and then stay at hotel ready to start a fresh the next day really dont wont anyone at the airport it will be upsetting enough.
We felt heaps better doing it that way. We got to the airport all ready for an adventure really happy. I hate to think what it would have been like if we hadn't done it our way, I know mum in law cried for hours after we left the day before the flight, she was hysterical! Something I never want to see again, talking of which they arrive in 4 weeks, just sold their house and told to get out asap! So home made cake making person is on her way!
Jenny
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:47 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

As many have said, don't do it in the airport. We said farwell the night before. It was horrendous and to do it in an airport would be even worse.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

good luck to all that are immigrating to oz,like many of us who have said goodbye to relatives and friends it very emotional so best way to say bye or see u laters is a no no at the airport.been there done that o.m.g tears did flow
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:48 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pinkie
Hi everyone

We fly out to Australia on the 5th of October and we're now officially exhausted, excited and terrified in alternating waves! One big thing we're still struggling to decide though is whether it is a good idea for our parents to come to the airport to say goodbye on the final morning.

We're planning to have a meal with them the night before too but with the extra security checks at the airport and the fact I'm terrified of flying anyway (tell me again why I'm moving to the other side of the world then ) I'm worried we're just asking for a world of tears and trauma if they come to see us off from there.

I know it won't be easy anyway but there must be a 'best' way of going this. What have other people done to try and make this as easy as it can be?

Thanks in advance for any help guys, hopefully we'll be able to help some other people based on all this experience too.
Definitely, without any doubt whatsoever, NO. It haunted me and next time I won't be letting family anywhere near the airport. Avoid airport scenes at all costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.