Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saying goodbye at the airport

Saying goodbye at the airport

Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:24 pm
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough
Default Saying goodbye at the airport

Hi everyone

We fly out to Australia on the 5th of October and we're now officially exhausted, excited and terrified in alternating waves! One big thing we're still struggling to decide though is whether it is a good idea for our parents to come to the airport to say goodbye on the final morning.

We're planning to have a meal with them the night before too but with the extra security checks at the airport and the fact I'm terrified of flying anyway (tell me again why I'm moving to the other side of the world then ) I'm worried we're just asking for a world of tears and trauma if they come to see us off from there.

I know it won't be easy anyway but there must be a 'best' way of going this. What have other people done to try and make this as easy as it can be?

Thanks in advance for any help guys, hopefully we'll be able to help some other people based on all this experience too.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:26 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saying goodbye at the airport

my advice .... DONT do it at the airport!

its stressful enough at the airport, theres loads of people around, you need to be in control at the airport.

say goodbye at home, get a cab, cry all the way to the airport if you need.

dont do it - trust me its awful, and its not a good way to get on the flight.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

fil is taking us regardless if i want to be taken by him or not

oh says that its the last thing that his dad can do be4 we go but i dont think it is a good idea as mil will be left at home on her own who wont be dealing with our goodbye that well
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:39 pm
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Islandmom and Hitchcock71, I think my gut feeling is that it is a bad idea to have them there but I kinda want to have something to back that up when/if we tell them that. It's going to be tough either way and I'm hoping they'll be able to support each other, whatever happens.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:40 pm
Playing the game

Forgot to say, Hitchcock71, when are you going? Have you got everything sorted?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:41 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do it particularly if kids are involved. It is traumatic without having it immediately prior to boarding a plane for 20 hours!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

I did it night before, goodbyes that is, at airport hotel, that way we had a semi clear mind going through customes, as its just a complete nightmare these days.

must say got absolutely bladdered in hotel bar, had one hours sleep then straight to T2 for 5.30am,

I was just a complete mess, for a whole week, and wouldnt recommend it to anyone, jet lag+hangover+dehydration= mental and physical mess
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:53 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

DON'T do a farewell at the airport if you can avoid it

Once you are on the plane it feels so much better as you are looking forward and not back.

The start of a big adventure!!!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:56 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Members of both sides of our family came to see us off and I wouldn't do it again.
We were all upset getting on the plane (in particular my then 5 year old).
He sobbed all the way to Gatwick (and I wasn't much better)
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We said all our goodbyes the day before. We stayed in a nice hotel by the airport the night before we left so there was no tears, just the 4 of us starting our new life together. It was much easier.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We said most of our goodbyes a few days before but my dad and brother drove us to Heathrow as we were leaving from Plymouth. They came with us up to the customs entrance and we were all pretty good, very few tears and then we went straight through. Not sure what it would have been like with mum and MIL there though!!
I phoned by mum before we boarded and she was pretty cut up. She still was upset when we phoned to say we had arrived safely but after a few days she was OK.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

KerryRyan will become famous soon enoughKerryRyan will become famous soon enough

Oh I'm filling up just thinking about it. I am such a hared person on the outside but an emotional wreck on the inside, it wont be a good idea for me to have anybody with us when we go i cry at NSPCC adverts, i am a soppy cow
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:24 pm
Playing the game

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
We said most of our goodbyes a few days before but my dad and brother drove us to Heathrow as we were leaving from Plymouth... Not sure what it would have been like with mum and MIL there though!!
Its the mother's I'm most concerned about too if I'm honest, OH's dad has been very supporting and my bro is too - I think the mothers are being very good so far but the airport I imagine would be too much reality

If we get it over with the night before we can drink/cry ourselves to sleep and wake up in the morning excited about our big adventure - as Tyke says.

Now we just have to convince them it's the right thing for us to do........
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:28 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Five years ago - FIL drove husband and 1 child to airport - he wanted to do this one last thing, I travelled in other car with hubbys best mate and other child. FIL did not come in said his goodbyes at the drop off bit but gave him time with his son and grandson to say what he wanted to.....hubby and best mate shared tears at check in.

Further visits back and fro and people coming here have not lessened the airport trauma even now me saying bye to hubby for business trips.

FIL died last year earlier than we all wanted and I know that trip for him meant something. Just because you are leaving doesn't mean other people and feelings they may have can be totally ignored ask them why they want to be part of the trip and listen to the response. There may be a good reason and being part of the excitement for some can help.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

ashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really nice

If you must do it at the airport, can I suggest that you all check in very early, get that out of the way, THEN spend time with family etc. Best of all, avoid airport fairwells. Have you considered a farewell at the train station instead? Much less traumatic, and when the train leaves, it's over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.