Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saying goodbye at the airport

Saying goodbye at the airport

Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Saying goodbye at the airport

OMG i'm nearly yelling at the thought of it and we aren't even going until next summer!!!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:03 pm
annette

netty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond reputenetty has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry no go on your own by taxi, or the one friend you can trust.
it is to hard moveing without the upset at the airport.
GOOD LUCK
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Shit! I knew it wasnt a good idea. I have said all along that noone is to come to airport with us as will be too emotional. The MIL will kidnap the kids and My mum will jump in a suitcase!

The other night we had a nice evening with in-laws and MIL pipes up we will come to the airport with your uncle to help with the kids (4 kids, 3under 3) and will be able to split the load up on the way.. sounded like a good idea, however then it was we will go overnite to hotel, then it was we will wait while you check in, then i'm thinking you'll be at security next! Yep then she said that.....

My worst nightmare may come true... Think i will have a word tonight with hubby and then MIL tomorrow........................

S-j xxx
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

We go at the end of October, Already booked the hotel the night before and the Taxi to the Hotel

I have said to those no goodbyes at the airport what so ever (OH mum has already said she wont be over and she went out Oz as a £10 pom)

I have 2 kids so I dont want to upset them before there first time on a plane!!!!!!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

This is how I would say goodbye to Tony "Celebrity" Blair and Gordon "Scottish" Brown, for destroying this country.

Maybe inapropriate for day time viewing...oops

Last edited by on a mission; Sep 18th 2007 at 3:32 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We've booked afternoon flights outta here so we have plenty of time to get to the airport.. by train! NO LIFTS NO HELP NO GOODBYES..

I am really dreading the goodbyes.. I am actually dreading the farewell party we are going to throw..

I am more of an "au revoir" type gal in my heart..

Em x
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:22 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

I hope I haven't ruined anyone's plans by posting about this (sorry s-jmelbournewannabe!!) but I'm so glad I asked the question. Seems there are tons of us in the same boat, so to speak. My brother is backing whatever we decide which is a fantastic help and we're seeing the in-laws tonight to talk them through what we think and what all you guys have said so fingers crossed and thanks for all the good wishes

I'll make sure to post something when it's all happened and let you know how it went for us.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

I think we upset some people.

We left the UK for Oz with job interview the day after arrival and depending on this and if we thought we wanted to stay we wouldn't be returning. For this reason we didn't have a goodbye bash or anything and there was a lot of doublt about what the best thing to do.

I said goodbye to my family in there home town almost 2 weeks before. I know my brother didn't like it but I explained how much we had to do and that airport was going to be stressful enough and our house being packed up the day before the flights. I am not sure they understood but we felt it going through too many emotional goodbyes when so many practical things needed sorting was too much. My parents in law came to the airport. Mainly to help us to checkin (2 adults and 2 toddlers and many more bags and car seats). As they were quite supportive of the move it wasn't too bad and they are used to my hubby travelling right from a young age. All that being said it was a very draining few weeks!!!

Personally I would try not to do too many goodbyes in the last few days as it really can be quite draining. When kids are around I also don't think its such a good thing.

Either way good luck. Those feelings don't last forever and you will get through it.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:13 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by on a mission
This is how I would say goodbye to Tony "Celebrity" Blair and Gordon "Scottish" Brown, for destroying this country.

Maybe inapropriate for day time viewing...oops
Aye, it's total f'ked, civil war, devastation, lack of freedom ... Christ, you can't order a McDonalds breakfast after 10am.

The Etheopeans are organising a charity concert as we speak.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:32 am
Just Joined

chez.my is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. We leave on the 17th October, and after reading several posts on this, we decided that we didn't want anyone at the airport as it would be too upsetting for us, the kids and our parents! We have an afternoon flight, but have still booked a hotel so we don't have the hassle of getting there on the day. It sounds harsh, but at least you aren't on the plane with all the upset of the few hours before.

Good luck.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:38 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Definitely don't do it. We didn't tell anyone what day we were flying or what airline. One friend took us to one of the Heathrow hotels the night before. Even he didn't know what time we were flying the next day. It was enough of a nightmare dealing with first born, without rellies or friends there to set us all off
Lol, that's what we're gonna do
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

jennylouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Saying goodbye at the airport

hello well i was in that situation a few weeks ago but i wasnt immigrating but my sister was to australia we had a lovely holiday in australia and i was dreading all coming to the airport as we was at the end of our holiday in australia but they did well it was the hardrest thing ive done and i know it wasnt easy for my sister also i have a brother who i havent seen for 4 years so i was pretty upset so my advice is to dont let them come to see u off , coming or going. on a good note we are looking into going out there for good fingers crossed
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennylouise
hello well i was in that situation a few weeks ago but i wasnt immigrating but my sister was to australia we had a lovely holiday in australia and i was dreading all coming to the airport as we was at the end of our holiday in australia but they did well it was the hardrest thing ive done and i know it wasnt easy for my sister also i have a brother who i havent seen for 4 years so i was pretty upset so my advice is to dont let them come to see u off , coming or going. on a good note we are looking into going out there for good fingers crossed
Good luck with it all Jenny-Louise x

S-j x
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

we are telling the parents today that we got the visa yesterday and that we are leaving on the 2nd november not looking forward to it .

i guess i will find out what they want to do about us leaving and the airport that bit i am dreading
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
we are telling the parents today that we got the visa yesterday and that we are leaving on the 2nd november not looking forward to it .

i guess i will find out what they want to do about us leaving and the airport that bit i am dreading
My parents are both dead but we told hubbys parents after we had the visa (that night) we'd both been dreading it for months but didn't want to upset them if we were turned down, we figured then they needn't know :S

They handled it very well, FIL kept talking congratulating us whilst MIL composed herself, very proud of them both

Good luck x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.