saying goodbye

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default saying goodbye

Hi All,

I wondered if I can pick your brains with my current problem.

My husband and I are leaving the UK approx beginning of Sept. We are expecting to accept an offer on our house this week.

We have no children, and planned to spend August going around UK saying goodbye to various friends and family, finally having a garden BBQ leaving party at the end for friends/family and anyone who we didn't get around to visiting individually.
We planned to have this in the SE, where my mother lives. It's on the underground, is much more central than where we are (Norwich) and has a nice big garden, unlike us.

She has recently shocked us by saying we can not host a BBQ at her house. Alternatively, my dad has offered, but he has remarried and know many family members won't come if it's held at his home.

So, I guess I'm askingif anyone's got any bright ideas. Somewhere with a big garden etc. We thought about hiring a place out but this makes cost problematic. I don't think there is any real solution but would be grateful to hear what other people did as a 'send off' event.

All the best,

G
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: saying goodbye

How about a village hall in a nice rural location in the South? If it is somewhere accessible to your friends they can then decide whether to make a weekend of it or just a day. They often have some garden area too, so you could bbq and have a bouncy castle for the adults! Or just do a cream tea in the hall or a ploughmans thing. I s'pose it depends on numbers and how good you are at catering. I have done 2 bbqs with about 100 guests...it is really hard work and you dont get to enjoy much of what is going on as you are too busy sorting everyone else out.You could try the local churches in the area you had in mind, or the local police station may know or tourist info perhaps for village halls. Alternatively how about a night under canvas? Book a small camping site and just take over! (btw, we only have a few family and friends so plan a small do at our place.)

Last edited by seasprite; Jul 2nd 2006 at 4:02 pm. Reason: forgot a bit
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 6:11 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: saying goodbye

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi All,

I wondered if I can pick your brains with my current problem.

My husband and I are leaving the UK approx beginning of Sept. We are expecting to accept an offer on our house this week.

We have no children, and planned to spend August going around UK saying goodbye to various friends and family, finally having a garden BBQ leaving party at the end for friends/family and anyone who we didn't get around to visiting individually.
We planned to have this in the SE, where my mother lives. It's on the underground, is much more central than where we are (Norwich) and has a nice big garden, unlike us.

She has recently shocked us by saying we can not host a BBQ at her house. Alternatively, my dad has offered, but he has remarried and know many family members won't come if it's held at his home.

So, I guess I'm askingif anyone's got any bright ideas. Somewhere with a big garden etc. We thought about hiring a place out but this makes cost problematic. I don't think there is any real solution but would be grateful to hear what other people did as a 'send off' event.

All the best,

G

If it was me, i would consider a nice pub with a decent garden. I would speak to the pub owners and tell of plans, stick some money behind the bar for the first few drinks, organise cheap catering and at least you have a neutral location, no clearing up and people are free to come and go as they please without any pressure.