Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sausages and stuff

Sausages and stuff

Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:15 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sausages and stuff

Probably the most important thread you will read today...

We live in Northlakes - and I am desperate for a decent sausage (oooeeerrr missus) all the ones we have found so far tend to have a really thick skin and taste a tad like mince meat.

Any ideas where you can get a decent one? Will travel

Ps - am also looking for crocodile meat for the BBQ - anyone know of anywhere where you can get croc?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sausages and stuff

Originally Posted by wargod

We live in Northlakes - and I am desperate for a decent sausage (oooeeerrr missus) all the ones we have found so far tend to have a really thick skin and taste a tad like mince meat.

Ps - am also looking for crocodile meat for the BBQ - anyone know of anywhere where you can get croc?
I haven't found any sausages to rival a good British banger However I reckon they taste ok when char grilled on the BBQ. I will be interested to know if you can get any that taste decent fried in the pan for bangers and mash.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Check online to what they put in sausages and you would never eat one again :scared:
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:26 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Have u tried Tiny's butchers in the Westfield @ Northlakes? best pork sausages i've tasted so far,my lot wont eat sausages from anywhere else,apart from the Chevup skinless from Coles-very tasty!

Donna.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:40 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree that the standard of snags in this country is generally poor. Also, the norm seems to be beef, whereas in UK/Ireland sausages are usually pork.

I've also found some of the "better quality" gourmet variety taste better fried on the flat part of the BBQ, as in a frying pan, rather than the grill. Some are very fatty, though.

There's a sausage shop in Hornsby that I've heard is good, I'll check it out for the summer BBQs and let you know.

Big.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:49 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Check online to what they put in sausages and you would never eat one again :scared:
i was given a couple of snags on my breakfast the first morning after we arrived from the UK........i had one bite and was sick .......sausages are not on my shopping list!!! i would kill fora couple of richmonds.....mmmmmm
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Rob's the English butcher in Dandenong, Vic.

Awesome sausages, probably be a bit off by the time you get them all the way to Qld
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:11 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I haven't found any sausages to rival a good British banger However I reckon they taste ok when char grilled on the BBQ. I will be interested to know if you can get any that taste decent fried in the pan for bangers and mash.
Tried that on Saturday - still bleedin vile though, even drowned the buggars in tom ketch still no better
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:12 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

Originally Posted by madsad
Have u tried Tiny's butchers in the Westfield @ Northlakes? best pork sausages i've tasted so far,my lot wont eat sausages from anywhere else,apart from the Chevup skinless from Coles-very tasty!

Donna.
I'll have to try them, we've bought other bits and pieces but never any bangers.

Are they 'thick skinned' though (the bangers not the butchers) !
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:47 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Sausages and stuff

Yes,try the U.K.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:52 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to try them, we've bought other bits and pieces but never any bangers.

Are they 'thick skinned' though (the bangers not the butchers) !

lol! No i would'nt say they did have a thick skin,maybe a bit thicker skin on the thick pork sausages than the thin ones? they do beef & a few other flavours,try the chicken ones over at the Chook House (Tiny owns that too) $6.99 a kilo.

Donna.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:00 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I had roo sausages at the Newtown Festival last week - they were really nice - probably the closest thing that I have had to a proper tasting sausage.

The quest continues...

S
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:46 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

Originally Posted by madsad
lol! No i would'nt say they did have a thick skin,maybe a bit thicker skin on the thick pork sausages than the thin ones? they do beef & a few other flavours,try the chicken ones over at the Chook House (Tiny owns that too) $6.99 a kilo.

Donna.
Ta will do, although I will hold you responsible and will persecute you at Night Owl by buying $50 worth of condoms and sanitary wear all in 5 cent coins should the bangers be minging and/or thick skinned !!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:47 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Cumberland sausages in Coles/Woolies, there from a company called something like the English sausage company, (have the flag on the label) there are 4 or 5 in the range and the green ones are the ones to go for, they come in thick or thin size
They need to almost be overdone to be best on the BBQ.
There good for oven baking too, they make a mean toad in the hole!

Other ones that are good for something different are the naked sausage where they have no skin, they taste a bit more like a burger, but crispen up nicely on the BBQ yet dont loose all the flavour internaly.
Steve
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:47 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

Originally Posted by steve99
Try the Cumberland sausages in Coles/Woolies, there from a company called something like the English sausage company, (have the flag on the label) there are 4 or 5 in the range and the green ones are the ones to go for, they come in thick or thin size
They need to almost be overdone to be best on the BBQ.
There good for oven baking too, they make a mean toad in the hole!

Other ones that are good for something different are the naked sausage where they have no skin, they taste a bit more like a burger, but crispen up nicely on the BBQ yet dont loose all the flavour internaly.
Steve
Ta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.