Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sanctuary lakes, vic.

sanctuary lakes, vic.

Old Mar 17th 2005, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough
Default sanctuary lakes, vic.

Hi, we have been looking at the property sites for quite a while now and are finding it really hard to shortlist a few suburbs to look into when we arrive in august.

we were in vic. at christmas for a holiday visiting family and should really have used the time better for this, but you know what its like when your on hols, time just flies by.

The trouble is we have a list of criteria, probably like most people (we are not expecting to fill them all) and cant seem to find a suburb yet that fills enough of the boxes (i'm sure there is one and we are definatly open to comprimise).

Anyway going back to sanctuary lakes, there seems to be quite a few really nice properties to rent in the $300 - $340 bracket which we shouyld be able to afford.

This area seems to offer the type of lifestyle we are hoping for but i do have a couple of unanswered questions about the area which i'm hoping someone could help me out with.

1: If you are renting a property in this resort, do you have to pay the annual upkeep fee or does the owner/landlord pay it.

2: How good is it for families with quite young children (5 year old girl), are there any playgrounds in the resort.

3: Where are the local primary schools, is there one in the resort, if not is it within walking distance

4: How far to the nearest shopping centre, is it walking distance

I ask about walking distance to shops and schools as we are hoping to be a one car family in oz, me having the car for work and my wife being able to walk my daughter to school and then to a part time job (she is currently a nursery nurse and would like to carry on but really wants to work part time but would take a job in a shop if it was nice and local to achieve the above)

Any advice most welcome,

thanks, ross......
Old Mar 17th 2005, 4:28 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: sanctuary lakes, vic.

Originally Posted by rosscog
Hi, we have been looking at the property sites for quite a while now and are finding it really hard to shortlist a few suburbs to look into when we arrive in august.

we were in vic. at christmas for a holiday visiting family and should really have used the time better for this, but you know what its like when your on hols, time just flies by.

The trouble is we have a list of criteria, probably like most people (we are not expecting to fill them all) and cant seem to find a suburb yet that fills enough of the boxes (i'm sure there is one and we are definatly open to comprimise).

Anyway going back to sanctuary lakes, there seems to be quite a few really nice properties to rent in the $300 - $340 bracket which we shouyld be able to afford.

This area seems to offer the type of lifestyle we are hoping for but i do have a couple of unanswered questions about the area which i'm hoping someone could help me out with.

1: If you are renting a property in this resort, do you have to pay the annual upkeep fee or does the owner/landlord pay it.

2: How good is it for families with quite young children (5 year old girl), are there any playgrounds in the resort.

3: Where are the local primary schools, is there one in the resort, if not is it within walking distance

I ask about walking distance to shops and schools as we are hoping to be a one car family in oz, me having the car for work and my wife being able to walk my daughter to school and then to a part time job (she is currently a nursery nurse and would like to carry on but really wants to work part time but would take a job in a shop if it was nice and local to achieve the above)

Any advice most welcome,

thanks, ross......
My answer will be of very limited help but if you check out realestate.com.au, for each property it tells you how many schools, bars, golf course etc are within an xkm distance from the property. I like the look of sanctuary lakes, especially the golf course and leisure facilities on the doorstep. Point Cook looks ok too, well, the houses do.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

spondyatwood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rosscog

Any advice most welcome,

thanks, ross......
Ross We live in Williamstown and Have just bought a house in the Cairlea area not far from Sanctuary Lakes.
When we looked at buying a house we actually looked at Sanctuary Lakes and it really is a nice spot.It is however limited with public transport and although there are schools nearby you will be somewhat isolated if you need to go further afield as a car would be needed.I dont know what your occupation is but Sanctuary Lakes is easy to get to the CBD.
A better way to look at suburbs is to look at MELWAYS (Sorry dont know the web address) if you do a search on google you should find info on it.This is the bible for getting around Melbourne as it lists all of the School;s ,Shopping centres,Reserves(parks) and freeway networks.
Williamstown is a Beautiful place with Parks Schools Beaches and lovely walks around the Harbour and Bay.The houses are very expensive to buy In Williamstown but are very reasonable to rent.
Point Cook is the same as Sanctuary Lakes infact is even more isolated if you dont have transport.
If you would like further info I would only be too glad to help PM me with a list of your requirements and I can maybe point you in the right direction
Hope this helps you
Andrew
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Sanctuary lakes is a housing/golfing estate located to the west of the city. The estate itself is very picturesque and family orientated. It has a gym, restaurant etc located within the estate as well as shops very nearby. The houses are lovely and I love the idea of building my own place.
My husband and I went to look there a few times and as we have friends who live there, were quite keen but in the end decided against it. Our main reasons for not choosing Sanctuary lakes were:
There is only a single lane road which takes you from the estate to the freeway. I believe, although I haven’t ever used it during peak times, that it gets extremely congested. There has been talk of improvements to the road but who knows. There are additional estates being built nearby which means even more traffic in the future.
There is no train station within walking distance so it’s a matter of driving to the station, which I have to say isn’t the most pleasant and my friend who lives there now drives to work. I have also heard that there are a limited no. of Government schools in the area and so a lot of people end up with little option other than to send their kids to private school.
Anyway, these are my findings but there are people on the site who do live in Sanctuary lakes so could give you a more balanced view.
Hi Ross
I have attached a reply I sent to someone a few days ago. Just to let you know, there is a small shopping complex over the road from SL which has a Coles and a few other places. If it's a shopping centre you are after though, that would be a drive or bus trip away, I am afraid.

Good luck with your search
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all your replies,

Looking at it more i think we would need the 2 cars to live there but that is something i'm prepared to look into as it seems such a nice place.

One thing i would like to know though is if renters have to pay the $2500 per year upkeep fee as the estate agents dont mention it and it might push us over budget what with the rent being at the top end of budget already,

Anyone know anything about that,

thanks again, ross.....
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:33 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

www.melways.com.au
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a couple of seriously hard looks down at Sanctuary lakes, Mostly because I want a house with everything in it. From big entertaining balcony, dedicated entertainment room (with bar), Seperate living zones (wait till you get teenagers !!!). There are plenty of those types of houses down that way. I've got to admit, I did like what I saw down there. Those houses would start to come in at around 430,000

I can virtually swap, my 3 bedroom house, with only one bathroom, and two living rooms for a place down there, and possibly have change left over to furnish the place. However, like others have said, before me, not enough infrastructure. You have to own two cars or one person is permanently left stranded. Personally as well there may be an element of 'keep up with the jones' type mentality that doesnt seem to exist, at least not that I'm aware of here In Coburg.

A cheaper option, closer into the city. with larger blocks, With fantastic city views, could be out at craigeburn north, Much better road links, with the Craigeburn bypass just about finished, than down Sanctuary lakes, but It doesn't have, the parkland type outlook, although it is fairly open and does have largish blocks (about 650 metres average) for one of these new type estates. You can by a veritable Mansion up there with city views for less than 500,000 aud.

I think its called HIllview estate, will check and post the URL

Personally I wanted the following place, and was almost willing to put up with the inconvience of ('having to have' even though i do already) two cars, The fact that I would have had to get a mortgage to buy it, plus the wifes insistance that the surrounding schools were crap put us off, But it did have everything I want. Especially the uninteruppted views of Melbourne and surrounds. Not bad for a Palace, Probably able to purchase this place for close to 530,000 I would say. The Owner is swiss, and has to move back by the end of march

I'm staying put.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 18th 2005 at 9:58 am.