Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hotel rates Vs online offers

hotel rates Vs online offers

Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:24 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default hotel rates Vs online offers

Booking a hotel/serviced unit for a trip in May (Sydney).
Am seeing a huge difference in prices when comparing the hotel advertised prices on their websites when compared to sites such as holiday city and hotelclub etc.
Is there something I am missing or is it just a way cheaper option to book the accomadation via a third party ?
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

BillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant future
Default Re: hotel rates Vs online offers

Hi,

I work in the hotel industry, the reason it is cheaper to to book with an agent online rather then direct is often due to the fact that they buy LOADSA ROOMS and get LOADSA discount for doing this which they in turn pass on to you.

The hotel direct work on a capacity basis, so the nearer to full they get the more they charge working on the assumption that other properties in the area are becoming full, availability is limited at all properties which means they can charge the punter more! :scared:

Never accept the first price they offer unless you know there is an event going on in the area or it's within 3 days of arrival, all hotels are normally willing to barter outside this time however, tell them you are just ringing around but if they tell you 4+ times its best rate they are selling then you can be pretty sure it is! Never ring a hotel and say I've got to/need to stay!

Same principle of marketing applies to planes, but they won't barter unfortunately, so sooner you can book either the better rate you will get.

Hope this helps

Bill
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:11 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hotel rates Vs online offers

Originally Posted by BillBart1
Hi,

I work in the hotel industry, the reason it is cheaper to to book with an agent online rather then direct is often due to the fact that they buy LOADSA ROOMS and get LOADSA discount for doing this which they in turn pass on to you.

The hotel direct work on a capacity basis, so the nearer to full they get the more they charge working on the assumption that other properties in the area are becoming full, availability is limited at all properties which means they can charge the punter more! :scared:

Never accept the first price they offer unless you know there is an event going on in the area or it's within 3 days of arrival, all hotels are normally willing to barter outside this time however, tell them you are just ringing around but if they tell you 4+ times its best rate they are selling then you can be pretty sure it is! Never ring a hotel and say I've got to/need to stay!

Same principle of marketing applies to planes, but they won't barter unfortunately, so sooner you can book either the better rate you will get.

Hope this helps

Bill
Thanks for that. Hotels I want are fully booked and cant find anything on at that time
Will try ringing a few / mailing them and see if rates /availability is open to haggling