Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saltwater Swimming pools?

Saltwater Swimming pools?

Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:03 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saltwater Swimming pools?

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hi John, can you tell me, are you able to fit the acid feeder as an after sales product or does it have to go in at time of construction?
Both.
It can be fitted as part of the original installation, or as an accessory at a later date.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
Both.
It can be fitted as part of the original installation, or as an accessory at a later date.
Thanx, I'll look into it then!
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:16 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John,

With regard to adding Salt, some people have indicated adding a bag a month :scared: , how do you know when and how much to add?
We've been in our place for about 2 yrs now and ive added 1 bag per year at the start of the season (more because it was taking up space in the shed )
The pool is crystal clear all the time, I have one of the cylinder paper type cartridge filters which I clean about once a month, I replaced the pump about a year ago as the old one packed up. Its got about an 18mth old Kreepy Krawly, I clean the chlorinator thingy in acid about every 1 to 2 months depending on how much scale has built up, the chloromatic box thing on the wall is set on the same level as when we moved in, there;s nothing on that to indicate low salt etc, so what test etc is done to check if I need to add salt?
I have one of those little kits that I test for PH etc about once a week in season, it rarely changes, I have to very occasionally add acid to adjust it.
And there was once some small black algae on the grout in the tiles at the top, I bought an algecide and that cleared it.
The pools a doddle to look after, and gets used most days between about November and May without any problem.
Steve
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:20 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Hi John,

With regard to adding Salt, some people have indicated adding a bag a month :scared: , how do you know when and how much to add?
We've been in our place for about 2 yrs now and ive added 1 bag per year at the start of the season (more because it was taking up space in the shed )
The pool is crystal clear all the time, I have one of the cylinder paper type cartridge filters which I clean about once a month, I replaced the pump about a year ago as the old one packed up. Its got about an 18mth old Kreepy Krawly, I clean the chlorinator thingy in acid about every 1 to 2 months depending on how much scale has built up, the chloromatic box thing on the wall is set on the same level as when we moved in, there;s nothing on that to indicate low salt etc, so what test etc is done to check if I need to add salt?
I have one of those little kits that I test for PH etc about once a week in season, it rarely changes, I have to very occasionally add acid to adjust it.
And there was once some small black algae on the grout in the tiles at the top, I bought an algecide and that cleared it.
The pools a doddle to look after, and gets used most days between about November and May without any problem.
Steve
Hi Steve...

There is no real answer to your question about adding salt.
It depends on lots of different factors:

The size of the pool.
How often the pool been used.
How many people have been using it.
Temperature, (evaporation).
Amount of sunshine, (drops the chlorine level).

We always recommend that people take a sample of their water down to their local pool shop about once a month.
They'll do a computer analysis of the sample & give you a printout, telling you exactly what you need to add, (if anything)!

We're hoping to open a pool shop soon, & will be offering this service.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:35 am
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Just noticed this thread. Can anyone tell me how salty these pools are - is it noticable? Not a big sea lover but saltwater pools seem to be the easier option.

Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HEL
Just noticed this thread. Can anyone tell me how salty these pools are - is it noticable? Not a big sea lover but saltwater pools seem to be the easier option.

Thanks
It's not remotely noticeable - way less intrusive than pure chlorine pools.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:42 am
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's not remotely noticeable - way less intrusive than pure chlorine pools.
Thanks for that - good to hear.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
It is nothing to do with freshwater shortages - a saltwater pool is a pool fitted with a salt water chlorinator. 20 years ago, most pools and spas were kept sanitised by dosing them with liquid or powdered chlorine (the stuff that gives you puffy eyes etc). A lot of commercial and public pools will still use chlorine as they have so many people passing through. For private pools, most modern ones use saltwater chlorinators. The pool is filled with water and then salt is added (not a whole lot - enough to taste, but nothing like the sea). When the water is being pumped through the filter (usually either a "paper" cartridge or a sand filter) it goes through the chlorinator which passes a current through the water between some electrical plates. The current causes a reaction with the salt and chlorine is produced. This means that the pool is constantly being topped up with a little chlorine rather than being dosed with a lot. Considering that chlorine is degraded in the sunlight, that is a good thing.

Hope that is clear - I am not a chemist so have no idea how it works

Cheers,

DagBoy

Excellent post that deserves a Karma in my book. I was just going to post the same reply that you posted but could not have put it more eloquently myself.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

we changed our "manual" chlorine pool into a salt water pool & havent looked back - chlorinators aren't cheap but the one we have is fantastic, zodiac lm3 saltwater chlorinator .
im so glad we got it. the kids enjoy swimming more as they dont end up all puffy eyed - we just have to check the water & levels etc no more mixing powder in a bucket to pur in etc - far safer in my opinion- plus the money we would have spent out in chlorine (decent stuff isnt cheap , they sell it in coles/woolies etc but not recommended) will more than pay for the chlorinator

oh & can also recommeng zodiac g4 pool cleaner - excellent product apparently its the only one you are allowed to run overnight in perth as the others are noisy & banned for overnight use (alledgedly - although 3 different pool shops told us this) btw thats not why we bought it - as we are in the country so it doesnt matter how noisy it is!!

hth

pootle26
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:18 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Originally Posted by pootle26
we changed our "manual" chlorine pool into a salt water pool & havent looked back - chlorinators aren't cheap but the one we have is fantastic, zodiac lm3 saltwater chlorinator .
im so glad we got it. the kids enjoy swimming more as they dont end up all puffy eyed - we just have to check the water & levels etc no more mixing powder in a bucket to pur in etc - far safer in my opinion- plus the money we would have spent out in chlorine (decent stuff isnt cheap , they sell it in coles/woolies etc but not recommended) will more than pay for the chlorinator

oh & can also recommeng zodiac g4 pool cleaner - excellent product apparently its the only one you are allowed to run overnight in perth as the others are noisy & banned for overnight use (alledgedly - although 3 different pool shops told us this) btw thats not why we bought it - as we are in the country so it doesnt matter how noisy it is!!

hth

pootle26
Here's the 3 Hurlcon pool cleaners that we sell.

http://www.hurlcon.com.au/water/Cleaners.html

The 'Pool Pirana' is another one that doesn't make any noise at all...