Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salt water pool ?

Salt water pool ?

Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice
Question Salt water pool ?

Ok so looking at current house listing. I notice one with a pool in Frankston staing 'salt water' pool.

So I beg the question, what is the advantage / diss.

I take it it's not sea water. Is it cheaper, healthier, ???
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Salt water pool ?

From memory, it's more expensive than chlorine, but the water seems softer and more skin-friendly. You don't get the horrible burning sensation that you do from chlorine pools.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:13 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all
Default Re: Salt water pool ?

Most pools are salt water.......you need salt so that your chlorinator can produce chlorine!

My advice is ....this is the type of pool you want....far better that an ionized pool,which does'nt use salt.

all the best plumb....
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:41 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Pools need chlorine... (or they turn into bacterial, algae soup)

This can be achieved in 2 ways:

1) Keep adding chlorine to the pool on an alarmingly regular basis (chlorine evaporates or is broken down by UV exposure)

2) Disolve lots of salt into your water (SodiumCHLORIDE) - and pump that water over some electrodes for a bit each day (using a timer switch) so that Chlorine is slowly released into the water thus saving you the effort.

Basically salt-water pools are a LOT easier to maintain and pretty much ANY modern domestic pool in Australia will be a salt water pool.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

So it's a normal pool then ?

Wonder why they called it a 'salt water' pool. When every other listing just says pool.
Even here in the south of Uk it's to cold for a pool, so I know nothing about them.

It was quite a lerge pool that you could actually 'swim' in. As most pools just look like
they are for sitting in with a drink ?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
Ok so looking at current house listing. I notice one with a pool in Frankston staing 'salt water' pool.

It's the best type. They are cheaper to maintain than chlorine only pools as you only really have to add salt (about $6 for a 25kg bag).
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So it's a normal pool then ?

Wonder why they called it a 'salt water' pool. When every other listing just says pool.
Even here in the south of Uk it's to cold for a pool, so I know nothing about them.

It was quite a lerge pool that you could actually 'swim' in. As most pools just look like
they are for sitting in with a drink ?
The water is mildly salty - nothing like seawater.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The water is mildly salty - nothing like seawater.
Correct.

Salt concentration in swimming pool is around 0.5% and in sea around 3.5%.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:03 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I went in someones a while back and it was a fully automatic chlorine pool, it added chlorine and acid as needed, it was really nice water.

Originally Posted by DadAgain
he water thus saving you the effort.

Basically salt-water pools are a LOT easier to maintain and pretty much ANY modern domestic pool in Australia will be a salt water pool.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:08 am
Just Joined

_csa is an unknown quantity at this point

like i said the chlorinator creates the chlorine using salt and two electrodes to cause a chemical reaction.
Adding chlorine at the correct level manually is hard ....most pools i visit like this are often way over the correct level....which is'nt good...!

all the best plumb.......
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Digestive is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a chlorinated pool, its easy to maintain once you know how and is rather more pleasant for swimming than our last pool which was salted and also no more expensive really.

Last edited by Digestive; Jun 11th 2009 at 8:42 am.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

We use salt water chlorinator pools in South Africa too,if you had a normal chorine pool in the past most of us have made the conversion to the far more reliable salt water type.This done by the addition of an element and a guage whereby you can set the level of chlorine required then leave it to do it's job.

For instance if your climate is prone to high temperatures and thunder storms in the summer months you will spend and arm and a leg on chlorine floating dispensers,pool acid,algaicides often rendering your pool out of action for a day or 2 let alone the frequent testing,backwashing etc.A saltwater chlorinator practically looks after itself and all you need to do is twice a year add 2x20kg bags of salt and change the sand in your filter.Testing is as infrequent as every 3 months and the occasional backwash of a weekend.I personally do all our pool maintainance as my hubby is unreliable in the garden and would never want to go back to the latter.