salary packages

Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:27 pm
lew
Forum Regular

lew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud of
Default salary packages

I have just been offered a job with salary plus super.Ther was talk in the job advert of generous allowances but no mention since -has any one got any idea what this may mean and if so what i could resonably ask for without getting told to sod off!!!!
thanks
Lew
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: salary packages

Originally Posted by lew
I have just been offered a job with salary plus super.Ther was talk in the job advert of generous allowances but no mention since -has any one got any idea what this may mean and if so what i could resonably ask for without getting told to sod off!!!!
thanks
Lew
Are you out of work at the moment?

If you are not - then simply ask...

If you are, ride with it...and if they don't materialise move on when the time is right.

Steve
Old Aug 30th 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lew
thanks
Lew
Have you received a contract from them yet. If not I would wait and see what is says in the contract, but if you have and there is nothing listed then I would ask what the generous allowance's are exactly.
Tracie
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:44 pm
lew
Forum Regular

lew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud oflew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
Have you received a contract from them yet. If not I would wait and see what is says in the contract, but if you have and there is nothing listed then I would ask what the generous allowance's are exactly.
Tracie
Telephoned them this am and manged to get an extra $2000 'allowance'
wayhaaa -if you dont ask you dont get as my mother use to say.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lew
per month? per year? or...... per week?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lew
Whoo well done.
Tracie
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lew

Well done...now dare you to ask for a one-off "signing on" bonus.

Also, remember to confirm how often your salary is reviewed, and see if for the first year you can have a review after three or six months, then the annual one 1 yr after starting, or at the time of the usual salary review. ie you'll have 2 within the first year.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of Salary packages offered to Health professionals in the Government area. Basically one should go for as much as one can get and try and offset it against their mortgage or other loan repayments. Generally you are not allowed to sacrifice or package more than 1/3rd of your gross wage. This then goes towards whatever deduction you have specified whether it be Mortgage/personal loan/ or entertainment.... Pre tax, which lowers your gross pay... hence you pay no tax on the item you have specified.

We would save about 350 bucks per month in tax by using this deduction.

Following is the URL for the Government hospital system in Victoria..

http://www.remunerator.com.au/

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 31st 2006 at 10:48 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:10 am
lew
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There are a lot of Salary packages offered to Health professionals in the Government area. Basically one should go for as much as one can get and try and offset it against their mortgage or other loan repayments. Generally you are not allowed to sacrifice or package more than 1/3rd of your gross wage. This then goes towards whatever deduction you have specified whether it be Mortgage/personal loan/ or entertainment.... Pre tax, which lowers your gross pay... hence you pay no tax on the item you have specified.

We would save about 350 bucks per month in tax by using this deduction.

Following is the URL for the Government hospital system in Victoria..

http://www.remunerator.com.au/
Thanks for all the info- although i am a nurse i am also a nurse educator and this is the job i have taken and at the moment thee are no salary packaging options available but they are negotiating this hopefully in the future.
By the way the $2000 is per year not per week (i wish!!)
Thanks again
Lew
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lew
Thanks for all the info- although i am a nurse i am also a nurse educator and this is the job i have taken and at the moment thee are no salary packaging options available but they are negotiating this hopefully in the future.
By the way the $2000 is per year not per week (i wish!!)
Thanks again
Lew

The full package is only available in the public sector as along with Charties they are the only organisations exempt from fringe benefit tax....

I only had a good look at the ins and outs of the situation after seeing this topic on this forum.. Seems a very lucrative benefit, for new migrants with a big mortgage... especially if you can claim 1/3rd of your wage tax free.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The full package is only available in the public sector as along with Charties they are the only organisations exempt from fringe benefit tax....

I only had a good look at the ins and outs of the situation after seeing this topic on this forum.. Seems a very lucrative benefit, for new migrants with a big mortgage... especially if you can claim 1/3rd of your wage tax free.
Hey Oz its me Newozeagle!!

Hello Lew - who will you be working for? cus by and large almost all health organisations such as hospitals and community health centres salary package these days. Its the main perk in the sector and can add thousands to your salary. Its almost too good to be true but it most certainly is true!. If you are entitled to package basically you can automatically add the following to your salary expectations:

1) New FBT laws recently passed ensure a basic $9095 (was 8755 until recently) can now be packaged which effectively means that 9095 is deducted from your pay and paid separately* which in turn means its tax free!. Ie that money is not shown on your group certificate as earnerd income (instead it shows up in the FBT part of it but we will keep out of that for now). Further that means @ 30% tax its worth $2728 cash to you. The best is still to come - see 2 below..

* basically paid for expenses you will incur in your normal life anyway such as rent, mortgage or credit card payments.

2) On top of that you can package from one third to half your income by packaging things such as Laptop computer and meal entertainment. Each organisation has different rules but basically this is how it works.. Say you package $6000 for meal entertainment then your employer will deduct it regularly from your pay which makes it tax free as its not included on your grup certificate...Everytime you eat out or get takeaway for greater then $20, you keep the receipts and that is then paid to you seperately from your pay. The entertainment includes getting fish n chips for you and your partner right up to paying for a big wedding reception. The receipts last 12 months so is easy. You can even use receips from abrode if you go on hols back to the uk.

Bottom line is that a package of $15,095 (9095 + 6000) is worth $4,528 cash . Ozzie next meal is on me as effectively I get about 30% off every time I eat out!.

Hope all this makes sense - I know its confusing as it was for the audience of a 'Remunarator' seminar I attended a few months ago!!.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rajj
Hey Oz its me Newozeagle!!

Bottom line is that a package of $15,095 (9095 + 6000) is worth $4,528 cash . Ozzie next meal is on me as effectively I get about 30% off every time I eat out!.

Hope all this makes sense - I know its confusing as it was for the audience of a 'Remunarator' seminar I attended a few months ago!!.

We'll get together for one of these live championship games. Check the meets section as well mate.... there is a curry night coming up on the 16th September.... we can gang up on the West ham Supporter

Thanks for the indepth advice. It's pretty difficult to understand at first this salary packaging stuff. I think my wife can get a bit more out of it.