Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salary negotiations

Salary negotiations

Old Oct 31st 2006, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about
Default Salary negotiations

Hi folks,

I've been looking at seek.com.au and found that most opportunities don't advertise salary. Because of this questions keep arising, hopefully some of you expats and kind souls will be able to help me out?

Will the agency advertising the position know the salary?
Do you think agencies will be a bit peeved off if I start making enquiries about positions (in regards to wages) if I'm not planning to go out for at least another 4 months?
How are wages negotiated, here in the uk you know what the employers offering so you can negotiate a wage around that figure, but if there's no figure
Are most positions (within the IT sector) salary based; i.e. no overtime, like here in the UK?

If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail!

thanks for your time.

Dave
Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:50 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary negotiations

Originally Posted by Daveh777
Hi folks,

I've been looking at seek.com.au and found that most opportunities don't advertise salary. Because of this questions keep arising, hopefully some of you expats and kind souls will be able to help me out?

Do you think agencies will be a bit peeved off if I start making enquiries about positions (in regards to wages) if I'm not planning to go out for at least another 4 months?
How are wages negotiated, here in the uk you know what the employers offering so you can negotiate a wage around that figure, but if there's no figure
Are most positions (within the IT sector) salary based; i.e. no overtime, like here in the UK?

thanks for your time.

Dave

Dave

Nobody should be peeved off for you making enquires into your market value - it saves all parties valuable time - if the respective client is pitching a job with a low budget you need to know in advance because:

[a] Ultimately you are more than likely to turn it down
[b] The agent misses out spending time convincing some other poor sod to take the job.
[c] The client has a delay in recruitment.

There is a link somewhere to the Hays website which apparently gives salary ranges - Personally I think its a load of tosh. Rates are dependent on your skill set, negotiating power and the position of the client.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:58 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Salary negotiations

Originally Posted by thebears
Rates are dependent on your skill set, negotiating power and the position of the client.
Don't forget variable supply and demand in job seekers / vacancies mate!

Buzzy
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:04 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Don't forget variable supply and demand in job seekers / vacancies mate!

Buzzy
Yes covered by my comment "negotiating power".

Ps Found the family okay all looking not to bad after a long flight. The girls look a little dazed but smiling and giggling. Look like the Dad
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Ps Found the family okay all looking not to bad after a long flight. The girls look a little dazed but smiling and giggling. Look like the Dad
What look like the Dad as in resemble the Dad or look like the Dad because I'm normally dazed, smiling and giggling?

Thanks for letting me know they're OK.

Buzzy
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

On Seek.com.au...

Just bumping, hope you don't mind.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Just bumping, hope you don't mind.
Carry on, we're the ones who hijacked your thread!

Buzzy
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

thanks for your time.

Dave

It can be quite difficult to compare wages, because you'll need to know about the cost of living etc. and not just go by a straight exchange rate conversion.

When I came to the UK from Oz nine years ago, I left a job paying $32K, and got one paying £23K. With the exchange rate at that time (2.8 ish), it was as though I'd just had a payrise - doubled my salary overnight. If at that time I were going the other way (UK to OZ) I would have halved my salary.

I'm sure that you don't need to know that you needn't be afraid of big numbers when it comes to salary packages.....you can only get knocked back.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
It can be quite difficult to compare wages, because you'll need to know about the cost of living etc. and not just go by a straight exchange rate conversion.

When I came to the UK from Oz nine years ago, I left a job paying $32K, and got one paying £23K. With the exchange rate at that time (2.8 ish), it was as though I'd just had a payrise - doubled my salary overnight. If at that time I were going the other way (UK to OZ) I would have halved my salary.

I'm sure that you don't need to know that you needn't be afraid of big numbers when it comes to salary packages.....you can only get knocked back.
Fair enough Ozzi, but I just want to get a handle on how things work out in OZ. I realize that salary requirements would be different out in OZ but I still want to know the difference in the way OZ works compared to the UK. Overtime, no overtime, will agency know the salary, etc. etc.?

Cheers
Dave
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough Ozzi, but I just want to get a handle on how things work out in OZ. I realize that salary requirements would be different out in OZ but I still want to know the difference in the way OZ works compared to the UK. Overtime, no overtime, will agency know the salary, etc. etc.?

Cheers
Dave
In my experience, there isn't so much difference between IT jobs in the UK and in Australia. Some jobs pay overtime, some don't. Agencies normally know the salary range for the jobs they advertise. However if you just give them a CV and ask how much you're worth, the answer you'll get will be similar to what you'll get anywhere in the world - it all depends on the job.

In general the lower level jobs pay overtime, e.g. call centre, help desk, etc, where as analysts and managers don't usually get overtime pay. Many jobs in the public sector allow you to accumulate flex time in lieu of overtime pay.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the highest paid workers of the UK, I'd say IT in Melbourne and Sydney is cool. A developer can earn 80k permy easily off the boat.

I know tester contractors earning telephone number salaries for companies like - excuse the pun, Telstra.

One manager was offered 80k a month by a Sydney headhunter.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:14 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

One manager was offered 80k a month by a Sydney headhunter.
Jeesus - was that paid in bananas or real green$