Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salary in Melbourne

Salary in Melbourne

Old Feb 4th 2020, 5:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Leaveorstay
Thank you. Thats really useful. I can live with £5k. Some others have quoted £10k!!!
Some of the quotes I got were up to around £8,000, and although Britannia were the cheapest I really went with them because they seemed like they actually gave a damn. Some of my requests for quotes were priced without the company even knowing what we had to move, while Britannia and a couple of others came to the house for what's called a 'survey' - they go through your house and actually estimate the space you'll need. I also liked the man who came to do the survey for Britannia and I must admit that he gave us a discount because my husband was a fellow Scouser

I think it's a franchise business though, we were with the one in Deeside so I can't speak for other branches.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Leaveorstay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tip. Any advice as to whats allowed and whats not allowed to be shipped over?
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leaveorstay
Thanks for the tip. Any advice as to whats allowed and whats not allowed to be shipped over?
Your removal company will give you lots of information about that, but to avoid paying duty (tax) in Australia your goods are supposed to be used household goods, I think they need to have been owned for a minimum of 12 months. I had a lot of bed linen still in its packaging but it was stuff I'd bought over my 3 years in the UK, so as it had been sitting in my linen cupboard I considered it to meet the criteria.

Australia has very strict biosecurity legislation, so all the usual biosecurity risks are a no no, animal products, meat, dairy, anything with soil attached. Considering our container took 10 weeks to arrive I don't think a dozen eggs would have survived the journey anyway You're advised to give things like gardening tools and wellies a good clean.

Customs in Australia will x-ray your container and search it if they detect anything untoward, and I think about one in ten are searched anyway as a matter of routine. I was pulled up for having something considered to be a biosecurity risk, much to my mortification as I'd never do something like that knowingly. I had a high quality fake small tree that was listed on the shipping manifest, which I thought would be fine. But Customs advised me that the trunk contained real plant fibres and I was given the option of paying over $1,000 to have gamma irradiation treatment on it, or $100 to have it destroyed. So destroyed it was.

Honestly, you don't need to stress about doing the wrong thing particularly if the removal company is doing all your packing. They're very clued up on what is and isn't allowed, and as I said you'll get all the needed information from them.