Safety first

Old Aug 6th 2004, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future
Talking Safety first

LOL
Attached Thumbnails Safety first-work-sign_1.jpg  
Old Aug 6th 2004, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL!

I love Aus.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Last of the Summer Wine country...Soon to be Melbourne
Flossybean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Safety first

Originally posted by Thrud
LOL

Brilliant, have had to save this for the husband he's the health and safety Rep at work will be sending this round tomorrow
Old Aug 8th 2004, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Flossybean

Brilliant, have had to save this for the husband he's the health and safety Rep at work will be sending this round tomorrow
Hubby should appreciate this accident report then

This is a bricklayer's accident report, submitted here by safety consultant Marlin Hendry. It was printed in the newsletter of the Australian equivalent of the Workers' Compensation board. This is a true story of "poor planning".

"Dear Sir:

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the accident report form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later were found to be slightly in excess of 500 lbs.

Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks.

You will note in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135 lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equal, impressive speed. This explained the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in Section 3 of the accident report form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience a great deal of pain.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, that barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight.

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent, down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope and I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back down onto me. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers your inquiry."
Old Aug 8th 2004, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

Ouch thats gotta hurt.
Old Aug 8th 2004, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Hubby should appreciate this accident report then

This is a bricklayer's accident report, submitted here by safety consultant Marlin Hendry. It was printed in the newsletter of the Australian equivalent of the Workers' Compensation board. This is a true story of "poor planning".

"Dear Sir:

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the accident report form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later were found to be slightly in excess of 500 lbs.

Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks.

You will note in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135 lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equal, impressive speed. This explained the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in Section 3 of the accident report form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience a great deal of pain.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, that barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight.

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent, down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope and I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back down onto me. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers your inquiry."
I will use that when training people on how to fill accident forms in, made my evening that has
Old Aug 8th 2004, 9:52 pm
CON
Banned

CON is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Safety first

Excellent, I have just emailed it to my entire contact list.
Old Aug 8th 2004, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

How to increase the reach of a fork lift?????
Attached Thumbnails Safety first-fork-lift.jpg  
Old Aug 8th 2004, 11:23 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
How to increase the reach of a fork lift?????
They show these images in the U.K as part of the H&S training for the construction industry.
When you come here they show you them all again as part of the "bluecard" workplace H&S.
Funny thing is the U.K guys were genuinely concerned at the appalling state of the H&S in East Asia, the Aussie's just show them for a laugh and to give them a chance to run down the competition. There was a thread last week with some others on but I can't find it.
Here's another
Old Aug 9th 2004, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cresta57
They show these images in the U.K as part of the H&S training for the construction industry.
When you come here they show you them all again as part of the "bluecard" workplace H&S.
Funny thing is the U.K guys were genuinely concerned at the appalling state of the H&S in East Asia, the Aussie's just show them for a laugh and to give them a chance to run down the competition. There was a thread last week with some others on but I can't find it.
Here's another
My manager was telling me about a meeting he attended on the 8th floor of an office block in Shanghai. The air conditioner had packed up, so a repair man rocked up, threw a rope around the exterior bit of the AC,and tied it to something in the office. he then proceeded to climb out of the window, and STOOD on the AC unit whilst he unbolted the thing.....
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Getting some cool pics and stories, keep them coming
Old Aug 9th 2004, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

So is this a common problem in Darwin?
Attached Thumbnails Safety first-rain.jpg  
Old Aug 9th 2004, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Look out, there may be trouble ahead
Attached Thumbnails Safety first-croc.jpg  
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:04 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Safety first

Originally Posted by Thrud
So is this a common problem in Darwin?
Quite a few roads get closed during heavy rain in QLD as well. It takes a few hours to flow away and just sort of sits there a metre deep.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ouch LOL, keep your hands in your pockets
Attached Thumbnails Safety first-shoplifter.jpg