Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

S&T Looking into moving

S&T Looking into moving

Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Dan_88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default S&T Looking into moving

hi i am currently working for network rail here in the UK i completed my apprenticship in 2009 gaining a city and guilds level 3 in railway engineering (rail signal maintenance) along with a few other railway specific qualifications and took an assistant tech post (S&T2) as that is all that was available, i am looking into moving to australlia to hopefully gain a better way of life and further my career. The reason im putting this up is to gain any information i can on moving, what to look for, housing, availability of work and oppertunities in progressing. all info would be much appreciated cheers.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S&T Looking into moving

Do you have the right to live and work in Australia? If not, I would forget about housing and even career progression for the moment. What you need to be thinking about is can you get a visa.

Not all jobs qualify for emmigration so firstly you need to check the occupation lists and see if yours is there. If it is then the 175 or 176 visas are ones you could look into.

Another option is looking for employer sponsorship, can be hard to find though. I guess you would start by contacting the major networks, don't know who they are you might have to google.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Dan_88 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi thanks yes i understand that i need to see if i qualify for eligibility to work and live in australia. just wondered what oppertunities there where for people like myself and if anyone had any experiences and helpfull information for me cheers

Last edited by Dan_88; Jul 4th 2011 at 8:52 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan_88
hi thanks yes i understand that i need to see if i qualify for eligibility to work and live in australia. just wondered what oppertunities there where for people like myself and if anyone had any experiences and helpfull information for me cheers
Have a look here - lists most visas and will help you to see if you qualify

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Depending on what your experience and qualifications are, the PTA in Perth are currently looking for Signal Technicians. I suggest you have a look at jobs.wa.gov.au under the Public Transport Authority and see if you meet the criteria. There will also be a jobs expo in Leeds soon and there may be some info handed out there.

PM me if you need any more help.

Melbert
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Did you get anywhere with this dan?

Mel