Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney or Brisbane. I have to decide tonight!!

Sydney or Brisbane. I have to decide tonight!!

Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future
Default Job offers in Brisbane and Sydney - where is best for my family????

I've accepted a job in Brisbane and got my 457 visa in the bag. However, I have also just received an offer from a company in Sydney and now I'm not sure where is best for me and my family (wife and two girls 3 & 5).

Can anyone offer their views on which city would be best for me and my wife to bring up our two girls as this is our main reason for moving to Australia.

We went to Sydney in April and although we loved it we weren't sure about it being the best place for young family and shocked by the housing market. We've not been to Brisbane.

To summarise:
  • Job in Brisbane = $85k
  • Job in Sydney = Was told 6 figures but not confirmed til Tuesday, I'm guessing around $100k + Super
  • Looking for 3/4 bed to rent with view to buying in couple of years
  • No more than 30 min commute to CBD
  • Good schools
  • Family activities
  • Not bothered about clubbing and nightlife but like to go out for food/beers now and again.
  • Not over bothered about beach but nice to be within 30 min drive

Any comments will be very helpful as my head is spinning.

Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offers in Brisbane and Sydney - where is best for my family????

Hard to say on that information really. You could be happy or sad in either place.

Houses are often a lot cheaper in Brisbane for the equivalent distance away from the city but that obviously is because Sydney is a lot larger more exciting city. Depends how much you would get out of being in a larger city. If more into family life on your budget you might be better in Brisbane due to cheaper houses as anywhere close to Sydney in a good area seems very expensive (or small).
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about which place would make you and your family more happy.

However on the money, I woudl rather have $85k in Brisbane than $100k in Sydney. You would spend two thirds of the difference on school fees in Sydney and the housing costs are much more down here.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 3:45 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

comparing $85k in Brissy Vs $100+super in Sydney is a no brainer. You'll get more bang for your buck in Brissy. Not sure where you'll be happiest though - they are two different kind of places to live.

What kind of work is it? That could be a deciding factor.

Good luck mate
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Take off the $4.5k pa per child school fees for kids in Sydney on a temp visa and you are getting closer to the Brisbane offer.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in both cities & I can tell you $100+ wouldn't be enough in Sydney, specially if you want to live 30 min away from the CBD & live in 3/4 bedroom house as your rent would be pretty high & to that the cost of your traveling to & from work, your children school fees & all the usual monthly bills, don't think there would much left to feed your family even if you don't go out that often.
How ever it's almost do able in Brisbane at $85.000 as you don't pay for your kids school fees & generally the rental aren't as expensive as Sydney & the weather is far nicer than Sydney, I'm freezing right now so cold here it suppose to be spring.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:07 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I have lived in both cities & I can tell you $100+ wouldn't be enough in Sydney, specially if you want to live 30 min away from the CBD & live in 3/4 bedroom house as your rent would be pretty high & to that the cost of your traveling to & from work, your children school fees & all the usual monthly bills, don't think there would much left to feed your family even if you don't go out that often.
How ever it's almost do able in Brisbane at $85.000 as you don't pay for your kids school fees & generally the rental aren't as expensive as Sydney & the weather is far nicer than Sydney, I'm freezing right now so cold here it suppose to be spring.
He's on a 457 so school / kindy fees will have to be paid if they go to either (age permitting)
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
He's on a 457 so school / kindy fees will have to be paid if they go to either (age permitting)
Not in Qld he doesn't have to, my friend was on 457 in Qld & they never had to pay, only the normal fee like everybody else & that's why they choose Qld to move to.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:23 am

Not in Qld he doesn't have to, my friend was on 457 in Qld & they never had to pay, only the normal fee like everybody else & that's why they choose Qld to move to.
what do you mean by normal fee mate? you dont pay for public school here, only private?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:00 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

30 mins to Sydney CBD. Unit or house? 100k will not get you a mortgage for a house unless you have a massive deposit.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

what do you mean by normal fee mate? you dont pay for public school here, only private?
$250 for primary & $500 high school for state school, that's what I mean, I have friends living on the sunshine coast who have 457 visa & don't pay $4,500 school Fees that NSW charging for the state schools under the same visa.

Last edited by chris and farideh; Oct 1st 2011 at 11:11 am.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:10 am

$250 for primary & $500 high school for state school, that's what I mean, I have friends living on the sunshine coast who have 457 visa & don't pay $4,500 school that NSW charging for the state school.
Perm residents dont pay $250 or $500 for public schools
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Well we paid, I'm going by my experience & I'm a citizen & that's what our school Qld charged me.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:15 am

Well we paid, I'm going by my experience & I'm a citizen & that's what our school Qld charged me.
A public school charged you that? what for?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Parents with children in state schools are often asked for annual contributions. They're supposed to be voluntary and go towards sports, art supplies etc.

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/policies/...20050233.shtml

http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/...ssistance.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.