Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rural water supplies

Rural water supplies

Old Aug 16th 2002, 1:30 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rural water supplies

Our target area in Aus is looking like the Adelaide hills region, we're aiming for something outskirts of town/semi-rural. Anyone done this? I'm particularly interested in the pros and cons of not having a town water supply, most of the properties which appeal to us have rainwater, springs etc.

I look at the rainwater figures for SA and can't help wondering just how viable systems like this are....

What sort of supply is needed for a 4 bed home with 4-6 people?

How about filtration/treatment for drinking
Old Aug 16th 2002, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rural water supplies

[QUOTE][i]Our target area in Aus is looking like the Adelaide hills region,
Hi
We(husband & 2 boys10 & 9) are hopefully moving to oz Nov/Dec (or as soon as we have sold our house). We are also looking at Adelaide Hills Aldgate/Stirling/Belair. Have you got visa's yet? What part of the hills have you been looking at?
It would be nice to keep in touch and maybe if all goes well meet in Oz?
We have stayed in Aldgate and most of the houses their are on the mains water.
Sue
Old Aug 16th 2002, 6:33 pm
We arrived november 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sue5665:
[i]Our target area in Aus is looking like the Adelaide hills region,
Hi
We(husband & 2 boys10 & 9) are hopefully moving to oz Nov/Dec (or as soon as we have sold our house). We are also looking at Adelaide Hills Aldgate/Stirling/Belair.
Sue
Hi Sue,

Good to hear from you. We're early days at the moment, we've had a points assessment (no problems) and have a letter from SA Gov promising fast tracking and state sponsorship.

While we love Australia generally (at least - most of it) Adelaide felt like home immediately - I don't mean it reminded me of home, far home it. It was rather that feeling of 'this is it, this is the place I want to live'.

We're not townies and couldn't bear to live in the city itself (although we are considering a small apartment as a 'weekender').

My personal area of choice is very similar to your own, just a little further out - think Mt Barker, Nairne etc. My wife would prefer to be further north - close to the Barossa. We're coming over for a month next year to make the final decision (I'll do what I'm told<G>).

We've two kids, our eldest is in his second year at Exeter Uni and will almost certainly be off to the US after his last year. His sister will almost certainly beat us to oz - she's looking at doing her teaching degree over there on a student visa starting next year.

Please keep in touch, I look forward to hearing how you're getting on.

Perry
Old Aug 18th 2002, 11:57 pm
Recipe

I'm
    > particularly interested in the pros and cons of not having a town water supply,
    > most of the properties which appeal to us have rainwater, springs etc.
    > I look at the rainwater figures for SA and can't help wondering just how viable
    > systems like this are....
    > What sort of supply is needed for a 4 bed home with 4-6 people?
    > How about filtration/treatment for drinking

Hi,

Just got back from a trip which included staying at friends in rural NSW. They've
had no rain for a long time and their tanks were running dry. A$90 bought a tanker
truck full of water - enough to last a family of three a couple of months by their
estimation. It felt cool to see the biggest pressie we're ever likely to give
someone, in terms of bulk anyway! lol

They have adverts on the radio saying (and as guests we were encouraged to follow the
line) 'If it's yellow, let it mellow - if it's brown send it down.' After living
with this for about 4 days we readjusted our thoughts on buying rural acreage.
Living in Edinburgh means I like using 4 sinkfuls of water to brush my teeth!

Old Aug 19th 2002, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Peters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kentcoast:

Hi Sue,

Good to hear from you. We're early days at the moment, we've had a points assessment (no problems) and have a letter from SA Gov promising fast tracking and state sponsorship.

While we love Australia generally (at least - most of it) Adelaide felt like home immediately - I don't mean it reminded me of home, far home it. It was rather that feeling of 'this is it, this is the place I want to live'.

We're not townies and couldn't bear to live in the city itself (although we are considering a small apartment as a 'weekender').

My personal area of choice is very similar to your own, just a little further out - think Mt Barker, Nairne etc. My wife would prefer to be further north - close to the Barossa. We're coming over for a month next year to make the final decision (I'll do what I'm told<G>).

We've two kids, our eldest is in his second year at Exeter Uni and will almost certainly be off to the US after his last year. His sister will almost certainly beat us to oz - she's looking at doing her teaching degree over there on a student visa starting next year.

Please keep in touch, I look forward to hearing how you're getting on.

Perry

Hi My Name is mike and we have just moved to Chandlers Hill which is about 25 mins from the city we have a 12 acer block in the hills and mains water but rainwater is not the same as in the UK ie as it dosent come over the city so no crap in it a lot of props have big water tanks and run both rain and fresh wash, cleen, drink, and only use mains IF the rain tank runs out, we moved from Blackheath in SE LONDON
and would not wast the airfair back to the uk 4 a holl but thats our opp, bY THE WAY cHANDLERS HILL IS NEXT TO HAPPY VALLY WICH IS SOUTH OF THE CITY WE LOOKED AT THE NORTH BUT DIDENT LIKE IT TO FAR FROM BEACH BIT COLDER, BEST OF LUCK MIKE :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 4:08 pm
We arrived november 2004

Originally posted by Mike Peters:
Hi My Name is mike and we have just moved to Chandlers Hill
Hi,

Couldn't find Chandlers Hill but Happy Valley looks nice.

but rainwater is not the same as in the UK ie as it dosent come over the city so no crap in it
Thanks - this clearly needs more investigation.

we moved from Blackheath in SE LONDON
Small world... Although we live in Dover now I was born and bred in Woolwich and worked for 5 years at the Brook in Shooters Hill.

Looking forward to getting out there next year to make our final decisions on area etc.

Currently trying to negociate with the Advertiser for copies of the Saterday edition to be mailed over - they want nearly $1400aus per year - must be one heavy read.

Cheers

Perry