Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Running a Business. Has Anyone Achieved Success In Australia?

Running a Business. Has Anyone Achieved Success In Australia?

Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:53 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running a Business. Has Anyone Achieved Success In Australia?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Well I think its obvious whats wrong.

You know it as well Cricket so cut the bullsheet.

23 Dollars per hour Casual is not a good rate, without holidays/sickpay/ etc etc. Does super come out of that or do you add it.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys

If you paid a better wage people would be falling over themselves to work for you.

Try 28 bucks per hour.

Er, OK, they were earning $15 before and I think their Centrelink benefits make up for all the extras. Good advice though. I'll bear it in mind.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Er, OK, they were earning $15 before and I think their Centrelink benefits make up for all the extras. Good advice though. I'll bear it in mind.
Bear this in mind, they can go to Aussie post, get a job starting at 21 dollars per hour permanent parttime, plus shift allowance, which equates to at least 28 bucks per hour, and there are vacancies all the time. So at 21 dollars per hour, they get holidays, sickpay and Permanancy. Opps I forget the plus 9pct super.
You are dealing with the bottom end of the market at your rates.

BTW Auspost runs at least at 95 pct attendance, so why aren't your workers turning up ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 30th 2008 at 6:09 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Bear this in mind, they can go to Aussie post, get a job starting at 21 dollars per hour permanent parttime, plus shift allowance, which equates to at least 28 bucks per hour, and there are vacancies all the time. So at 21 dollars per hour, they get holidays, sickpay and Permanancy. Opps I forget the plus 9pct super.
You are dealing with the bottom end of the market at your rates.
I work as a registered nurse casual here in adelaide

I get $23 per hour

so cant see that there is anything wrong with crickets money

Ill move up there
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellie10990

I get $23 per hour

Ill move up there
My wifes a Nurse, at the Royal Melbourne, so be careful here.....do you only work the hours between 8 and 6 pm ? Monday to Friday ? Because thats when and only when those rates are applicable or when you are off sick.

Dont you get Super added on or do you pay the 9pct out of your wages, dont you get holidays, dont you get sick pay...

Because thats only then that those rates are applicable.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, Grayling, I can only go by my experience of living on the Gold Coast which as you may know is a very big playground hence not many wanting to work.
The ridiculous bit was claiming that people worked more hours in the UK because there was nothing else to do because of the UK's climate.

G
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I get $23 per hour

Ill move up there
Here you go.... from April 2008

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...s+rates+of+pay

I've misplaced the Agency rates, but they start around 30 bucks per hour. I'll try and locate a new copy tomorrow.

Nothing winds me up more, than claiming workers are crap, when they are clearly paid crap.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 30th 2008 at 6:31 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 7:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
The ridiculous bit was claiming that people worked more hours in the UK because there was nothing else to do because of the UK's climate.

G
If it was *that* bad you'd have thought there'd have been something a population explosion.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

I've misplaced the Agency rates, but they start around 30 bucks per hour. I'll try and locate a new copy tomorrow.

Nothing winds me up more, than claiming workers are crap, when they are clearly paid crap.
I work between the hours of 8 till 6 monday to friday in a day surgery unit

I can assure you my pay is on a casual basis working on the hospital pool I would earn more with an agency.But it is $23 an hour of which super etc is taken out

the pay for nurses is different in different states I think??

Last edited by ellie10990; Nov 30th 2008 at 8:33 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:17 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I work between the hours of 8 till 6 monday to friday in a day surgery unit

I can assure you my pay is on a casual basis working on the hospital pool I would earn more with an agency.But it is $23 an hour of which super etc is taken out

the pay for nurses is different in different states I think??
You deserve far more than you're earning. At least the rate of pay to match your skill.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:22 pm
Banned

If it was just about money, it would be easy but it's not. I believe that pay should match reponsibility and skill andas I need people who can use an industrial sewing machine, I think $25 an hour is far better than the current going rate.
However, in my experience, even if I offered $50 an hour, I would still have people taking me for a ride and not turning in for work.

Ozzieagle, I think your facts are wrong. My husband is a skilled senior electrician earning $80,000 a year and his hourly rate is approx $30 an hour. If the Post Office are paying so well, why have they got vacancies?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Hi Cricket,
Sorry to hear that you have had bad luck on the gold coast with staff issues on this I cannot comment,

However, I can assure you that staff issues are also relevant in the uk I ran a business, employing 28 staff mainly unskilled, I offered good pay and bonus systems. I always had staffing problems. I had a good core of loyal staff but I always had a few vacancies and a high turnover of 3 full time equivalents.
I can also assure you that I too had a myriad of excuses of lateness and not turning up to work by many off my staff it's par for the course. So it occurs in the uk also. Prior to this I held a bleep in a hospital and again there were issues with excuses for sickness and lateness.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:25 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

We run a company here in Oz been going for about a year now, at the moment we dont employ staff but will need to start hireing in the new year as things are moving onwards and upwards at a good pace! Having worked in Oz for other companies and within the same industry it is worrying us starting to employ people. We have friends that are in similar industries that have exactly the same experiences as Cricket1.

Whilst I see the comment about pay and perks being an important factor and agree it is, there is in my experience some what an attitude problem and a lack of commitment with many young Aussies. They simply dont take responsability for their own actions in my view! We have decided that as and when we are ready to employ someone we will advertise on the many British Expat Sites, I am not saying that they are better than the Ozzies BUT in my opinion they have more to lose and therefore far more to give! They had the drive to get up and move here and want for a better life so work wise they will be commited and in return as a small business owner we will reward trustworthy reliable employees accordingly!

I am sure Ellie will of ensured she is getting the right rate for her personal situation! For the job she does it doenst sound enough I agree, but if thats the going rate there isnt much she can do to change that!

My husband went to college for 3 years to learn his trade, has worked for over 20 years learning and improving his skilled trade and a young lad at 18 can earn more than he on an hourly basis in a pub!

Not sure there is much justice in that, pulling pints is a relatively straight forward unskilled job!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Here's a question: How come there are no British boozers in Australia. I once lived in New York and there was a lot of British stuff i.e. I dont mean themed restaurants I mean a boozer run by a Brit frequented by Brits and serving up the British boozer experience. In 3 months in Sydney I never found one and the city is full of Brits. And don't say "people go to Australia to get away from that" because they dont.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

stickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant future

$23 an hour. Plus choose which days and what time start to allow mothers to work after dropping off children to school?

I have always been willing to pay well to get the best people. This isn't a new issue. I've been told by people who have tried before me that it's one reason why companies have gone to China.
It's not just a skills shortage.
You have to take pride in your work and want to do a full days work too. That's why I'm wondering if it's just an attitude that is here on the Coast.
So you hiring then? I work 60 hours a week (sometimes more) and would love to go to Australia.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think too that if you are going to employ people on a casual basis they are going to treat the work as casual ie they get paid for what they do so why ask them why they are late or why they did not turn up last week, its casual works both ways. You can't have casuals and expect them to act like permanents.

If its the sewing industry you are in the asian community has that all sewn up

You may need to rethink your employee status for people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.