Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Running a Business. Has Anyone Achieved Success In Australia?

Running a Business. Has Anyone Achieved Success In Australia?

Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:17 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Running a Business. Has Anyone Achieved Success In Australia?

I'm trying to establish whether I'm in the wrong local location or wrong location geographically for the success of running a business. This is my main reason for returning to the UK. Over the last 2 years, I can't get workers on board or the skills I need to produce the quality associated with our business.

Is this an attitude right across Australia because of their work ethic and general attitude or am I the one with the problem because my expectations are too high?
In speaking to people locally and generally, they all have the same common story. This is that it's difficult to get ahead here and most people encounter setback after setback many going bankrupt several times before taking their business or career aims elsewhere.

I had absolutely no problems finding good, reliable staff and successfully running a business in the UK both in downturns and in boom times. Skills were also much easier to find.

Love to hear your comments on this one.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Re: Running a Business. Has Anyone Achieved Success In Australia?

Cricket1.......as someone who has been self employed for the last decade, and looking to move to the Gold Coast (where I see you are from!)....I am interested to see the replies of others.
BTW, what type of business are you in? This may be a factor...

Sorry I am not more of a help, but I am interested in this thread...

Nix
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:50 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I'll PM you.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:19 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricket1
Over the last 2 years, I can't get workers on board or the skills I need to produce the quality associated with our business.

Is this an attitude right across Australia because of their work ethic and general attitude or am I the one with the problem because my expectations are too high?
I think you may be mixing two different issues up. Skills shortages: yes, Australia has them, which is why they allow skilled immgrants On the other hand, the UK also has skills shortages in some area (I'm a software engineer - my UK employer still has problems finding good engineers).

The other issue is attitude to work: Some Australians, at least, do work long hours:
http://council.labor.net.au/labor_re...pdate1857.html
http://www.actu.asn.au/public/campai...itrichard.html
http://wes.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/2/349

In speaking to people locally and generally, they all have the same common story. This is that it's difficult to get ahead here and most people encounter setback after setback many going bankrupt several times before taking their business or career aims elsewhere.
Is that speaking to expats, or Australians? If the story were that common, there would be very few small businesses in Australia, because they'd all fail. But that's definitely not the case.

I had absolutely no problems finding good, reliable staff and successfully running a business in the UK both in downturns and in boom times. Skills were also much easier to find.
Could that have anything to do with the fact that (I'm assuming) you're from the UK? That is, you knew the culture inside out? I can imagine that might have a pretty strong effect in some business situations. Might it be more of a factor for you than you thought?

I've met a few expats who have been here for decades: I can think of two who came over and started businesses which are still running successfully today. Of course, one can't generalize from limited data, but it does indicate that it is possible to successfully start and run a business as an expat.

Cheers
b
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:29 am
Banned

I am English yes, but I've been visiting Australia for 12 years and lived here for 5 years. My assessment of the differences boil down to that in the UK, mostly because of the climate and lifestyle, people would willingly work in a job they enjoy doing because there isn't much else to do in England's climate so they might as well work.
Whereas here, especially on the Gold Coast, which is a holiday resort, people appear to prefer to work as little as possible so that they can enjoy the lifestyle. Therefore there is a huge difference in work ethics.

I'm not criticising the Australians, if that's their lifestyle and they're happy, great. But if it's an attitude that is across Australia, then I've got to make business decisions to work around it because in my experience, you need good, reliable people to help a business grow. I think it was richard Branson that said always employ people who are cleverer than you?
Having said that there are successful businesses here but if you study who is the richest and the most successful, it's mostly in the industry of property development, wine and mining with mining probably beating the others.

I have been researching this just recently and found it interesting.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

IMy assessment of the differences boil down to that in the UK, mostly because of the climate and lifestyle, people would willingly work in a job they enjoy doing because there isn't much else to do in England's climate so they might as well work.
That is a ridiculous statement.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is a ridiculous statement.
Must admit I had a chuckle too

We found being in business here many staff didnt want too many hours as it would affect how much they got off centerlink probably far more of a reason given the generosity of benefits in Australia.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:50 am
ABCDiamond

I'm trying to establish whether I'm in the wrong local location or wrong location geographically for the success of running a business. This is my main reason for returning to the UK. Over the last 2 years, I can't get workers on board or the skills I need to produce the quality associated with our business.

Love to hear your comments on this one.
I've started businesses in the UK and Australia, although down in Sydney, and found that "in general" most employees in the UK were quite happy to work longer hours, compared to here, where they like to get home.

However, in the Sydney accounting firm that I worked for, the higher paid people almost always worked very long hours, but then, at $100,000 py in 1989, it was sort of expected.

The attitude, between both groups of employees, was not a noticeable difference to me.

Your particular business may have an impact, in your area, but without knowing what it is, it is hard to answer.
Maybe the local employees are thinking of surfing all the time ?

Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Must admit I had a chuckle too

We found being in business here many staff didnt want too many hours as it would affect how much they got off centerlink probably far more of a reason given the generosity of benefits in Australia.

Well, I wasn't going to mention that point but seeing as you have, yes, benefits play a huge part. I have offered cash per hour, start when you want, choose which days, free lunch, even bring the child. Nope! No one interested.

BTW, Grayling, I can only go by my experience of living on the Gold Coast which as you may know is a very big playground hence not many wanting to work.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've started businesses in the UK and Australia, although down in Sydney, and found that "in general" most employees in the UK were quite happy to work longer hours, compared to here, where they like to get home.

However, in the Sydney accounting firm that I worked for, the higher paid people almost always worked very long hours, but then, at $100,000 py in 1989, it was sort of expected.

The attitude, between both groups of employees, was not a noticeable difference to me.

Your particular business may have an impact, in your area, but without knowing what it is, it is hard to answer.
Maybe the local employees are thinking of surfing all the time ?

What I'm trying to work out is if the attitude here is just confined to the Gold Coast. From talking to local businesses, staff reliability is the bane of their life and some otherwise good businesses have gone bankrupt because they've not been able to reach deadlines with orders, because of staff failing to turn up.
This is massive problem for me and it makes me concerned because I'm at the point where I need to spend money to grow the business but to do this I have to be able to find good, reliable, trustworthy people.

Just to give you an idea, here's how a conversation went with one person I employed briefly.

'Me.....is there a reason why you didn't turn up for work last week?

Employee...yes, it was my birthday.

Me...what, all week????

Employee.....well....yes, why, what's wrong with that????

And here's another.

Me.....you didn't turn in for work the last 3 days, what was the reason?

Employee.....dog was sick.

Me....OK, do you have a telephone?

Employee.....yes.

Me..........it didn't occur to you to ring us and let us know you wouldn't be coming into work.

Employee....no, I was expecting you to ring me.

Last one is the best.

Me.....why are you 15 minutes late every morning?

Employee.......because I have to park my car in the car park then walk here. It takes me 15 minutes to walk from my car.

Me.......you don't think you should set off from home 15 minutes early?

Employee....oh shove it. If you're going to be unreasonable get yourself another idiot!!! I don't need this job that bad.

Me....but you said you were desperate for cash?

Employee...........I am but I live with my parents so I'll be OK.

And it just goes on. A few weeks ago there was a huge debate in the local news which reported that several extremely wealthy Dubai businessmen had left the Gold Coast in disgust because they had wanted to develop a world class resort in Surfers Paradise to which they could bring their clients. However, they were put off by the poor work ethic but also the sleazy image.

Got me thinking. If those big guys can't make it happen, what chance does anyone have?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:33 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible that the wages you are offering are too low to attract decent workers?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:58 am
Banned

$23 an hour. Plus choose which days and what time start to allow mothers to work after dropping off children to school?

I have always been willing to pay well to get the best people. This isn't a new issue. I've been told by people who have tried before me that it's one reason why companies have gone to China.
It's not just a skills shortage.
You have to take pride in your work and want to do a full days work too. That's why I'm wondering if it's just an attitude that is here on the Coast.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Disco01 will become famous soon enoughDisco01 will become famous soon enough

Got to say I agree with cricket1, regarding the lack of work effort. I could go on all day but I will only wind myself up.

I do find it different form the UK in this respect.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think its obvious whats wrong.

You know it as well Cricket so cut the bullsheet.

23 Dollars per hour Casual is not a good rate, without holidays/sickpay/ etc etc. Does super come out of that or do you add it.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys

If you paid a better wage people would be falling over themselves to work for you.

Try 28 bucks per hour.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 1st 2008 at 5:36 am.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:45 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

I owned a business (retail) in UK for 18 years and now own one on the Gold Coast. My experience has been that my Aussie staff have been more consciences, better timekeepers, and more flexible than 'back home'. There is a lack of employment on the GC at the moment - a new business in our centre advertised vacancies and over 100 people turned up!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.