Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rugby, Rugby, Rugby. World Cup 2003.. again

Rugby, Rugby, Rugby. World Cup 2003.. again

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:19 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Rugby, Rugby, Rugby. World Cup 2003.. again

What a weekend!!!

Ireland nearly beat the Wallabies (Sandra ) And in my opinion should have won it. Ireland were far the better team on the day... match statistics will also back this theory up too.One point.. my gawd I was on the edge of my seat.

Wales.. well what more can I say.. not the slaughtering NZ though it would be... Wales led 34 to 28 at half time. I couldn't believe it!. Now why the hell can't we play like that all the time. ... only gripe of the match.. the ref should get some glasses... forward pass!!!. Even the Aussie commentators where shouting forward pass. lost only by 16 points (if the ref wasn't blind... that converted try with the forward pass and it would have been only 9 points) .. not bad for a team which everybody wrote off who were playing against the worlds number one (sorry England but I consider NZ to be no one) .

Never say die.... hope the England V Wales quarter will be a good one. .. win or lose.

cheers
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:28 am
WBB

oh yes, what a game that was for the welsh, even charvis went some way towards getting in to my good books.

must of been some atmosphere in the stadium, roll on next weekend.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:53 am
Badge

Default Re: Rugby, Rugby, Rugby. World Cup 2003.. again

Have to admit that in some ways SA and Aus will raise their games against NZ so maybe they were going to lose on purpose in order to get England out of the way as soon as possible before "easier" games to get to a Southern Hemisphere TriNations style final.

England have been playing poor but now the true extent of the weaknesses in the Kiwi pack are looming large. This WC is wide open and any one of SA, England NZ, France and Aussie are in with a chance. I don't think Ireland have the firepower. IF England brignback Bill to the Northern Hemisphere - and it's a 50/50 chance that Bill will come back to the Northern Hemisphere - then it may be because England may prove to be like the Australian teams of 1999-2001 and just squeeze out wins in the final 10 mins on defence and forward play not necessarily johnny. Nothing wrong with that. A win is often a narrow win, like a good test match should be.

The South Africans could still cause an upset over the Kiwis, as could the French over the English.

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Nov 3rd 2003 at 8:28 am.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:10 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW, i agree with everything badgers just said!

wales played brilliantly - absolutely fantastic game.

I think the more structured play of SA, Aus, and England could undo the All Blacks. Also, the AB's are most comfortable when they're 14 points a head after 20 minutes. If someone gets a couple of tries against them early on, they could get the jitters. Saw it a little bit against Wales, but I think Aus or England or France will be better at exerting that pressure when it counts.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:48 am
WBB

a dodgy forward pass and some unrequired substitutions were wales undoing.

we had them nailed and let them off the hook.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:56 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by Ceri
What a weekend!!!

Ireland nearly beat the Wallabies (Sandra ) And in my opinion should have won it. Ireland were far the better team on the day... match statistics will also back this theory up too.One point.. my gawd I was on the edge of my seat.

Wales.. well what more can I say.. not the slaughtering NZ though it would be... Wales led 34 to 28 at half time. I couldn't believe it!. Now why the hell can't we play like that all the time. ... only gripe of the match.. the ref should get some glasses... forward pass!!!. Even the Aussie commentators where shouting forward pass. lost only by 16 points (if the ref wasn't blind... that converted try with the forward pass and it would have been only 9 points) .. not bad for a team which everybody wrote off who were playing against the worlds number one (sorry England but I consider NZ to be no one) .

Never say die.... hope the England V Wales quarter will be a good one. .. win or lose.

cheers
It saddens me to say this but I'm sure the Wallabies won't win the RWC. England should win it but I just can't help but think from what has happened in the past (and not just in this sport) that they won't. NZ probably will win it but France look like a bit of a 'dark horse' to me.

I read in my Sunday paper (British, well, Murdoch paper, not NOTW) what (allegedly) happened in the 'Lugergate' incident as well. Woodward sitting in the stand instructs his person on the touchline to send Luger on. Official says the referee wants you to wait until there is a break in play; Woodward barks to his person send Luger on when told. This is supposedly the sport of fairplay, do what the ref says etc!! Result - measly fine and the official gets in trouble for remonstrating with those trying the illegal sub bit.

TennisOz

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:55 am
Badge

At the end of the day the Kiwi ref (a 4th ref) responsible for the Somoan bench was blasted for "verbal retaliation".

There's talk now of SH refs not being impartial to England.

My personal view is that:

1) England didn't have 16 players "PLAYING" so there was no unfair advantage. The Aussie coaching staff/press - bunch of whiners.

2) By the referee not stopping play soon enough - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't it seems - the Somoans had 1 man extra playing - the rules state that you must have no more than 15 playing and both sides should be the SAME. It not unknown for junior sides in a junior comp to play with an agreed less amount of men. say 13 each rather than 15.

badge