Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rugby League - why so little ?

Rugby League - why so little ?

Old May 15th 2003, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road
Default Rugby League - why so little ?

What with all the Northerners coming to Aus- why so little interest ?

Anyone see the Challenge Cup final ? Was it as good as internet reports suggest ?
Old May 15th 2003, 5:10 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rugby League - why so little ?

Originally posted by Gareth W

Anyone see the Challenge Cup final ? Was it as good as internet reports suggest ?
Because rugby league is so boring nobody can be bothered to explain the rules, eg what is that back-heeling lark anyway?

Cheers - Don
Old May 15th 2003, 9:47 pm
Badge

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Because rugby league is so boring nobody can be bothered to explain the rules, eg what is that back-heeling lark anyway?

Cheers - Don
it's great in Aus - better than soccer anyday. ..where the ball bouces back and forth often without a single score(!)

League can't get enough of it. The standard is v high - as GB found out last year when they lost by a huge score - I find catching a game on TV a great way to unwind. I played Union in Australia - the minority code - called 'Rah Rah' over there as it is more "elite" but when i go back i will play League as well.

badgers

Old May 16th 2003, 12:06 am
Bilbo

Aussie Rules - OK?

Old May 16th 2003, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

The back-heeling malarkey is called "the play-the-ball" - it speeds the game up somewhat. Its a viable alternative to the Rugby Union kick and clap version where the crowd handles the ball more than the players do !

You really need a crash course in this kind of thing, especially if you're going to move to NSW or Queensland. Don't worry though, I'll be happy to PM you the finer points of the game !

Aussie Rules OK ? Not really, no. ;-)
Old May 16th 2003, 4:03 pm
Don
Banned

The back-heeling malarkey is called "the play-the-ball" - it speeds the game up somewhat. Its a viable alternative to the Rugby Union kick and clap version where the crowd handles the ball more than the players do !

You really need a crash course in this kind of thing, especially if you're going to move to NSW or Queensland. Don't worry though, I'll be happy to PM you the finer points of the game !

Aussie Rules OK ? Not really, no. ;-)
Is there any of this strange version in NZ though? Might take you up on your kind offer.

Cheers - Don
Old May 16th 2003, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my goodness yes. NZ Warriors play in the NRL and were last years beaten finalists (i.e they are good). It is widely played in NZ although, on balance, I'd guess that RU is more popular overall.

I will forward you an RL "primer".

Always happy to help.
Old May 16th 2003, 4:31 pm
Don
Banned

Oh my goodness yes. NZ Warriors play in the NRL and were last years beaten finalists (i.e they are good). It is widely played in NZ although, on balance, I'd guess that RU is more popular overall.

I will forward you an RL "primer".

Always happy to help.
OK thanks. I'm a Bucks boy myself and I don't remember any of this funny rules rugby there otherwise I'd have found out the rules.

Here's one for you. In continental Europe, friends were aghast to hear I had never even heard of the game 'handball' in my sad old fart life. It's a game where you run around on court/field, pass the ball hand to hand and throw it in the opponents' goal. Did you know about that one? Meant to be as well-known as (say) basketball.

Cheers - Don
Old May 16th 2003, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by badgersmount
it's great in Aus - better than soccer anyday. ..where the ball bouces back and forth often without a single score(!)

League can't get enough of it. The standard is v high - as GB found out last year when they lost by a huge score - I find catching a game on TV a great way to unwind. I played Union in Australia - the minority code - called 'Rah Rah' over there as it is more "elite" but when i go back i will play League as well.

badgers
Firstly League is a minority sport in GB whereas it is a religion in Oz,(as well as being well financed), so no surprise we can't beat them...however, we gave the Kiwis a going over and should perhaps have won the series not drawn it. Secondly Union is WAY bigger in NZ than League but Kiwis will always support thier team against the Aussies. And the Warriors are the most exciting team to watch anyway! And yes Aussie Rules exists in NZ but noone gives a flying fart about it.