RPL Example

Old Apr 13th 2003, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Antony Clarkson is an unknown quantity at this point
Question RPL Example

Hi All

I am just in the process of filling in my ACS RPL and would be grateful if any one would be kind enough to send me any samples of a successful application.

I have 10 yrs IT experience in mainly SQL DB and VB with the last three years in an ASP role.

I have no IT qualifications and am finding the RPL form daunting. I think the problem is where to start and what format do they want.

So if anyone could post me a sample or give me some pointers I would be extremely thankful.

We visited Melbourne in October 2002 to see my farther and step mother. It was to be Jan 2003 but my farther was diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas and turned for the worse. So after a hectic rush for a flight we managed to get there before he passed away. I had not seen my farther for 8 years previous thanks to a messy divorce with my mother and this was a one and only chance to say good bye and for him to see his grandchild. Since this time we have become very close to my step family in Melbourne and long to be with them. Even thou it wasn’t the best reason to visit Aus. I still can’t forget how everyone treated us.

With thanks in advance for your help

Antony & Family
Old Apr 13th 2003, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Default Forgot email address

by the way my email address is [email protected]
Old Apr 13th 2003, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Lana is an unknown quantity at this point

A sample is not really helpful since each CBOK area must be answered differently. But be specific - say for instance "I have learned management skills when supervising 5 employees on project X for company Y", not just "learned management while in company Y". That is the general idea.

If you wanna email me so I can take a look at what you got and maybe give you some pointers, I'll be glad to help. I am not expert but I've filled my husband's forms and helped 3 other people so far.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 3:24 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

When I applied to TRA I sent certified copies of ALL my qualifications, along with a 14 page, in-depth CV which was certified as true by the training officer at work. Don't worry about giving too much information, I've been told that if it isn't there they won't ask for it, they'll just judge you on what's there. ie I wrote some programs isn't good. I wrote the main accounting program for a large bank, which involved over 5000 lines of code written in c+.
See the difference? Put lots of detail in, remember that the guys reviewing it are computer literate and if you can get letters of recommendation they can only help. You're trying to prove to them that you have the skills and experience that will make you employable over there. Good luck
Old Apr 13th 2003, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Are the ASC assessing you on experience rather than the CBOK ? I have experience in most but not all of CBOK. How much of CBOK must you know? And to what level of detail.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Lana is an unknown quantity at this point

They say what areas of the CBOK are mandatory, and then how many others from the optional you have to pick.

They assess on both the letters and CBOK areas you wrote in the RPL form. The references are what back up the info you put on the form.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 8:49 am
Just Joined

madhura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About RPL contents

Hi Antony,

I found a post on this forum that gives a fairly good idea of what to include and how to write it too...may be helpful. Certainly seems good to me.

I have attached a file with the contents of the post.
Hope this helps

All the best.

Madhura
Old Apr 14th 2003, 8:52 am
Just Joined

madhura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RPL Contents

hi
i tried to attach a file...it seems there is some problem with that.
anyways, will paste the contents here, it is definitely helpful -

[quote]

RPL example.........quote......

I filled out these sections :

1 Computer Organisation and Architecture X
2 Conceptual Modeling X
3 Database Management X
4 Data Communications and Networks
5 Data Structures and Algorithms
6 Discrete Mathematics
7 Ethical/Social Implications/Professional Practice X
8 Interpersonal Communications X
9 Program Design and Implementation X
10 Project Management X
11 Security X
12 Software Engineering and Methodologies X
13 Systems Analysis and Design
14 Systems Software X

Here is an example of what I wrote for the project management part, all sections were similar in length :

XXX (a company I worked for in the past), sole business was developing and selling their project management system, called XXX. Working on a project management system helped me to learn about the different aspects of managing a project and gave me a better understanding of the whole project cycle. The Software Engineering Institute (SEI) methodology and standards I learnt at XXX gave me a better understanding of the importance of quality assurance. I personally think that a lot of companies shun the quality aspects of software. XXX ,(in my opinion) seem to want to get code out too fast these days and I come across problems almost daily that should have been picked up in simple quality assurance tests. Still, it seems to work for them. Software QA involves the entire software development process - monitoring and improving the process, making sure that any agreed-upon standards and procedures are followed, and ensuring that problems are found and dealt with. I have been involved in many types of QA testing for example, black box testing with XXX, integration testing with customized XX code and XXX, system testing at all sites I work at, this usually covers all combined parts of a system and is similar to black box testing. I do quite a bit of load, stress and performance testing for XXX clients. We normally use a product called XXX these days to do our stress and performance testing. XXX itself has recently included a ‘Network Test’ form (Please see screen dump attached). The Network Test consists of a latency test and a bandwidth test. Latency is the time it takes for a single packet to make a round trip from your client side application to the server. The bandwidth test examines the data rate to see how many bytes per second your network can transfer from the server to the client. I have never had a position as a project manager and I tend to shy away from this, as I prefer a more technical role. I do see myself as a mini-project manager on some of my tasks, for example upgrading an XXX for a client takes some managerial skills, ie. planning, scheduling, tasking and testing.

Yes, I got a positive assessment

[end quote]