Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rockingham to Perth CBD

Rockingham to Perth CBD

Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

crabbejo will become famous soon enough
Default Rockingham to Perth CBD

Hi can anyone help?? Is it feasible to travel from Rockingham to Perth CBD by train? How long would this take roughly and would it be fairly safe travelling from CBD back at night roughly aroun 10pm? I really like the look of Rockingham but dont want to set my heart on this area unless i Know it's feasable. Will be working as a nurse therefore traveling outwith peak times i would think.

Thanks for any advice
Nicola
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:17 pm
I'm a Perthie!

coffeedrinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rockingham to Perth CBD

I wouldn't ... You'd be better off moving to Mandurah.

I would go to the Rockingham train station carpark at around the time you would expect to get in off the train and look to see at what the parking is like; what the lighting is like; what the people are like who inhabit the area at that time of night..

As it is, it's about 30 minutes or so from Perth to Rockingham.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker

I would go to the Rockingham train station carpark at around the time you would expect to get in off the train and look to see at what the parking is like; what the lighting is like; what the people are like who inhabit the area at that time of night..

Thanks for the information. We are not actually in Perth yet so it's not possible for us to visit the area just yet, we are just trying to work out from the areas we like if it would work travel wise. I was under the impression that Mandurrah is further south than rockingham therefore would travelling not be longer and more difficult?
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:51 pm
I'm a Perthie!

Originally Posted by crabbejo
Thanks for the information. We are not actually in Perth yet so it's not possible for us to visit the area just yet, we are just trying to work out from the areas we like if it would work travel wise. I was under the impression that Mandurrah is further south than rockingham therefore would travelling not be longer and more difficult?
Mandurah is the end of the train line.

You can look at the time tables at www.transperth.wa.gov.au

It's a better area than Rockingham to be honest. I go down there on weekends for fish and chips and to wander around. I live about 5kms from the CBD in Subiaco, takes about 50 minutes to get down to Mandurah, but it's a nice trip, you can chill out and have time to unwind from work. I don't have that luxury, I live too close to mine!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

I used to get the train to Perth from Rocko before i was sent on loan to Melbourne for 18 months ,the car park is big enough ,if you get there after 8 you will likely have to go in the pay & display which was $2 but there is a guard there ,id say it was safe late at night as there are always guards hangin around ,i stopped in Waikiki which borders on Rocko bout a 5 min drive from the station ,Coolongup is a bit dodgy ,Waikiki is pretty much ok as is Warnbro & Rocko aint as bad as people make out ,altho down the front late at night may not be wise ,nice Scottish cafe overlookin the sea ,does good breakfasts inc square sausage etc ,plenty of other good food places there as well...good luck with the move
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi can anyone help?? Is it feasible to travel from Rockingham to Perth CBD by train? How long would this take roughly and would it be fairly safe travelling from CBD back at night roughly aroun 10pm? I really like the look of Rockingham but dont want to set my heart on this area unless i Know it's feasable. Will be working as a nurse therefore traveling outwith peak times i would think.

Thanks for any advice
Nicola
The train from Rockingham or Warnbro station to Perth takes about 35 minutes and it is save to return at 10pm. The chances to find a carpark at Rockingham station is better than at Warnbro, because there is no other station in between to Mandurah.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Mandurah is the end of the train line.

You can look at the time tables at www.transperth.wa.gov.au

It's a better area than Rockingham to be honest. I go down there on weekends for fish and chips and to wander around. I live about 5kms from the CBD in Subiaco, takes about 50 minutes to get down to Mandurah, but it's a nice trip, you can chill out and have time to unwind from work. I don't have that luxury, I live too close to mine!
It would be nice if people who are not living in the area they make negative comments about could stop it. Do you want me to list all the bad areas in Mandurah??
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

I have a house in mandurah,

But i think rockingham is much better place better beaches, shops and less mossie's mandurah can be bad at most times with them as the shire only seam to spray on public holidays when the tourist come down.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:52 pm
I'm a Perthie!

Originally Posted by Evelin
It would be nice if people who are not living in the area they make negative comments about could stop it. Do you want me to list all the bad areas in Mandurah??
And! you assume I've never lived there? My goodness! I'll make as many statements as I like about places I have experienced ktnx :-)

I lived in numerous places around Perth over the years, each place has it's special areas.

Currently i live in Subi, and you can't pay me to walk from the train station to my house - too many druggies and bikies! Already been mugged once since I moved here 6 months ago.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

. (comment deleted)
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for any advice
Nicola
I'm certainly not worried about hubby getting the train back from Perth like I was on the London - Croydon line!!!!

Having said this I personally wouldn't want to do much travelling alone at 10pm in most places around the world. That's just me!

Rockingham and Mandurah both have good and bad points. We live in between the two and were often told to stay clear of Rockingham more than Mandurah. Now we are finding out for ourselves that there are nice things in both to appreciate. Just this weekend we went for Breakfast on the Rockingham Foreshore. We had a lovely time. We normally head to Mandurah so the change was nice and to be honest I'll be doing it more (if money allows).

The new shopping area is a bit more refreshing in Rockingham now. When we first arrives it looked rather tired. Mandurah doesn't have loads but has just what you need I suppose. Stops me overspending on things that I don't really nice.

Sorry a bit off topic but just another view point.

Edit: Mind you I did walk into Centrelink in Rockingham and walked straight back out and thought I'll do that down in Mandurah. It reminded me of the job centres back home (the smell, the lines etc). I've not had that feeling in the Mandurah one since being here.

Last edited by PoppetUK; Feb 9th 2009 at 11:22 am.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
I'm certainly not worried about hubby getting the train back from Perth like I was on the London - Croydon line!!!!

Having said this I personally wouldn't want to do much travelling alone at 10pm in most places around the world. That's just me!

Rockingham and Mandurah both have good and bad points. We live in between the two and were often told to stay clear of Rockingham more than Mandurah. Now we are finding out for ourselves that there are nice things in both to appreciate. Just this weekend we went for Breakfast on the Rockingham Foreshore. We had a lovely time. We normally head to Mandurah so the change was nice and to be honest I'll be doing it more (if money allows).

The new shopping area is a bit more refreshing in Rockingham now. When we first arrives it looked rather tired. Mandurah doesn't have loads but has just what you need I suppose. Stops me overspending on things that I don't really nice.

Sorry a bit off topic but just another view point.

Thanks very much for all your replies it has given us loads to think about.
I suppose it's the same wherever you live, here in Scotland there are good and bad areas and I have gotten the train home from glasgow to east kilbride at night on my own many times and never felt threatned or unsafe. I think i will just need to experience this for myself and make my own decision. At the end of the day I want to live somewhere that is close to work on public transport has a good family feel and some basic amenities. Being close to the beach is what we would like most of all.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:33 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=PoppetUK;7266231]I'm certainly not worried about hubby getting the train back from Perth like I was on the London - Croydon line!!!!

Ah yes! the london to croydon trainlines- how I miss those. It makes me laugh when australians complain about the trains here- they havent got a clue...
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Dawesville which is south of Mandurah and i travel daily from Mandurah by train to Perth CBD. I much prefer Mandurah to Perth, though cant comment on Rockingham. Perth is Milton Keynes with sunshine.
Where i live, we have great beaches - Avalon and Pyramid, houses are fairly cheap to rent and there are plenty of shops and a very peaceful lifestyle. The advantage of getting the train from Mandurah is you get a seat - not always possible by Rockingham
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by verystormy
We live in Dawesville which is south of Mandurah and i travel daily from Mandurah by train to Perth CBD. I much prefer Mandurah to Perth, though cant comment on Rockingham. Perth is Milton Keynes with sunshine.
Where i live, we have great beaches - Avalon and Pyramid, houses are fairly cheap to rent and there are plenty of shops and a very peaceful lifestyle. The advantage of getting the train from Mandurah is you get a seat - not always possible by Rockingham
bullshit even when you get on the train with three carriage's there is lots of seats spare.