Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rockingham: Perth.

Rockingham: Perth.

Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rockingham: Perth.

Originally Posted by Lois1
Thank you, you have been most helpful and i have studied the link!

With two your girls (currently aged 3 and 6). what areas do you think would be suitable for families, recreational parks, schools and not too far from the shops etc.
I cannot advise you on schools because I never had children in Australia. there are a number of private and public schools. Whereever you are in Australia you will find plenty of public open spaces. In Rockingham most people tend to go to the beach, eg Warnbro Sound which has a 3km walk on top of the dunes alongside the bay which then continues on road level all around. or the main beach in Rockingham where the restaurants are. There and at most other open spaces you find entertainment for the younger ones. Open spaces and playgrounds are the first areas that are completed in new estates. A good example is the large artificial lake in Harrington Waters (in the link provided) with fountains and walks around .

The main shopping centre is in Rockingham which has two supermarkets. I would not like to do my daily shopping there because of parking problems and the supermarkets itself. At the Warnbro Shopping centre, opposite Port Kennedy you have the best choice for grocery shopping (Woolies and Coles next to each other), two chemists, post office news agent and so forth. I Port Kennedy is a smaller shopping centre with IGA. Nearby Warnbo shops is a newish aquatic centre. Otherwise down that end you also have doctors, vet, dentist, Bunnings abd plenty more. These kind of services you find scattered all over Rockingham.

Secret Harbour is another nice estate, yet a bit at the end and a bit of a drive to the train and other services. It all depends what you want from your new life.

Last edited by Evelin; Aug 27th 2009 at 12:23 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:26 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Hi

Re: schools

If you're thinking of Baldivis, Port Kennedy, Secret Harbour or Golden Bay then Tranby College is a lovely school.

I've just moved my girls there and am very happy with it - as is my cousin and a few other friends.

Good luck
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Originally Posted by eddie007
We live in Rockingham, ... 5 minutes walk to beach, 5 minutes walk to city centre. Train to Perth CBD takes 25 minutes and fantastic schools (not over subscribed like in some areas) beautiful beaches (safe pommie swimming beaches) and REAL people... drive to freo in 30 minutes..

Love the bloody place... wouldn't live anywhere else

2nd that.
Great place for young kids.
Gaz
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

SJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Rockingham: Perth.

We're building at Baldivis North- in fact our pad went down today so we're very excited Area is developing by the day 10 mins from beach, and Rockingham, easy access to freeway. A great area that you should consider
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by daunted
Hi - i thought about Rockingham when i was moving out but discounted it after visiting. Today i have driven from Bunbury to Mandurah and then along the coast through Port Kenedy, Safety bay etc and the best place i saw along the way was a smaller place called Golden Bay. its much older and i felt had more character. (not knocking all the new 'estates' cos i live in one here but Golden Bay was beautiful
We lived in Golden Bay for 3 months at the top of Blue Fin Drive when we first arrived in Perth. House sat for friends who had a 2 storey house. Stunning sunsets every evening, nice cool sea breezes in the afternoon and most places are on 900sqm+ blocks so room for a pool as well as gardens. Prices are very reasonable and Secret Harbour shopping centre is 5 min drive away. Depending on wind direction, if you're sat outside, you either hear the sound of the sea or the sound of the cars on the highway.
We would have looked to buy there but I was working in Redcliffe up near the domestic airport and spending over an hour each way driving to work.
If you can find a job locally like in Mandurah then I would be giving this suburb serious consideration!