Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Roadtrip Carins to Sydney!!

Roadtrip Carins to Sydney!!

Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road
Default Roadtrip Carins to Sydney!!

After Christmas, my sister and I are going spend a few weeks travelling down the coast from Cairns to Sydney... think Thelma & Louise. (We might invest in headscarves just for the craic!!)
My sister has been here since Sep, and is going back home in April and wants to see as much of Australia as she can. We would like to stop off at all the best places en route and so far Airlie Beach, Whitsundays, Hervey Bay, Fraser Island, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay, and Coffs Harbour have been recommended to us. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? We will be staying at hostels en route although I'm a bit in denial that I'm 'backpacking'!! We are really looking forward to it and know it will be a great experience so all suggestions are welcome!!

Thelma (aka JO!!) x
Old Dec 13th 2004, 7:03 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Roadtrip Carins to Sydney!!

Try Bullamakanka pub on a Saturday night.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leejo
After Christmas, my sister and I are going spend a few weeks travelling down the coast from Cairns to Sydney... think Thelma & Louise. (We might invest in headscarves just for the craic!!)
My sister has been here since Sep, and is going back home in April and wants to see as much of Australia as she can. We would like to stop off at all the best places en route and so far Airlie Beach, Whitsundays, Hervey Bay, Fraser Island, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay, and Coffs Harbour have been recommended to us. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? We will be staying at hostels en route although I'm a bit in denial that I'm 'backpacking'!! We are really looking forward to it and know it will be a great experience so all suggestions are welcome!!

Thelma (aka JO!!) x
I'm not big on destination suggestions but I will say this:

polish your 'pop up' lights before you go, take your own bed sheets ( ive heard the hostel ones are minging ) and i've got a spare walnut whip for your provision sack, if you need it.

Love, mum. xxx
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

p.s Have a great time!!!!
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:47 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thelma (aka JO!!) x
Hey Thelma

I did Sydney to Brisbane last year, took about a week to do the whole thing. Also travelled up with a friend, we found cabins a great way to get around the dorm thing. Say $20 for a dorm, or $25 each for a cabin with kitchenette, TV & bathroom..... guess which one we took!
Kingscliff is a really nice place, we stayed at Emu Park Hostel (twin share room, $18 each!) for a couple nights. Hunter Valley is worth going through even if you don't actually stop in it. Nimbin, again, worth seeing, only stay if you like 'smoking'
The photos from my trip are here if its any use to you - http://michelle.smellephant.com/modu...permine&cat=13
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hey Thelma

I did Sydney to Brisbane last year, took about a week to do the whole thing. Also travelled up with a friend, we found cabins a great way to get around the dorm thing. Say $20 for a dorm, or $25 each for a cabin with kitchenette, TV & bathroom..... guess which one we took!
Kingscliff is a really nice place, we stayed at Emu Park Hostel (twin share room, $18 each!) for a couple nights. Hunter Valley is worth going through even if you don't actually stop in it. Nimbin, again, worth seeing, only stay if you like 'smoking'
The photos from my trip are here if its any use to you - http://michelle.smellephant.com/modu...permine&cat=13

Cheers for that... accomodation sounds cheap and cheerful, which kind of scares me actually!!!
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Roadtrip Carins to Sydney!!

Originally Posted by steandleigh
I'm not big on destination suggestions but I will say this:

polish your 'pop up' lights before you go, take your own bed sheets ( ive heard the hostel ones are minging ) and i've got a spare walnut whip for your provision sack, if you need it.

Love, mum. xxx

Thanks Leigh,
the spare sheets and walnut whip should fit nicely into my 'Louis Vuitton' rucksack!!!
Louis does make rucksacks doesn't he?????

JO xxx
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Thelma (aka JO!!) x
Magnetic Island is fun if you have the time to take ferry over from Townsville also Noosa is fab place to go .....I did Greyhound (very uncomfortable all round Oz) but Graham did car thing, he loved it, hostels can be ok, suggest you ask to see rooms first before committing though as some are very scary......

I backpacked "in style" which can sort of be done on a budget, that was 6 years ago so not sure I can recommend any actual hostels now as they've prob changed a bit since then. Central YHA in Sydney was a great place for budget, Merchant Court if ending in style !!

Teresa
Old Dec 13th 2004, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Thelma (aka JO!!) x
If you like the alternative scene then set aside some time for Byron. So much to see and do there. You can pop inland to Nimbin from there as an earlier post said. Even if you don't smoke then it's an interesting place.
There is a place around Byron that has the tea tree lakes Tweed Heads I think. A place where the tea trees meet the water and infuse it with healing goodness. Nice.
Near Nimbin there is a place called The Channon where they have a market once or twice a month. Well worth going.
If you go to Magnetic Island the sea kayaking (spelling) is great.
Have a fantastic time.

Scotty.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 3:32 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

done this myself, but the otherway round.

Avoid rockhampton , forster is nice and the lakes around it. glass house mountains , australia zoo, see a bit of rain forset in North NSW.

Eat in RSL's on the cheap, and often apartments are cheaper than motels out of season and 4 times bigger.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 3:43 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

oooooooohh..........cant recommend anywhere as its 9+ years since i did the thelma and louise thing, but whatever you do - I hope you have the most fantastic time!!!!

sue
Old Dec 13th 2004, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Louis does make rucksacks doesn't he?????

JO xxx
Yeaahhh!!! And it'll go beautifully with your Manolo Blahnik walking boots.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

[
Thanks for your replies, I will take note of all your suggestions and report back on my adventures at the end of January!