Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Xmas TV

Australia Xmas TV

Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice
Default Australia Xmas TV

As you know, it's tradition in the UK to show slightly better progs than the usual c**p at Christmas time. Whats strange here at the moment is nothing is being plugged at all, suggesting it's just the usual fare of NCIS, CSI Miami, Law & Order etc etc etc over the Xmas period. Is it that the TV bosses think everyone is going to be at the beach on Xmas day, so why bother?
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:29 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Australia Xmas TV

usually they put their worst programs on over xmas, because most people are out, and they only measure ratings for 42-ish weeks of the year, and the weeks they don't measure fall over the summer, so they can get away with playing crap. the ratings are used to set advertising costs.

anyway, this year they are supposed to be making an effort to put better programing on. i am yet to be convinced!!

Originally Posted by Neil S
As you know, it's tradition in the UK to show slightly better progs than the usual c**p at Christmas time. Whats strange here at the moment is nothing is being plugged at all, suggesting it's just the usual fare of NCIS, CSI Miami, Law & Order etc etc etc over the Xmas period. Is it that the TV bosses think everyone is going to be at the beach on Xmas day, so why bother?
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They also seem to stop lots of regular stuff - series like Casualty; TV here is dire at the best of times but it does go downhill between now and Feb. They aren't so big on the "Christmas Specials" and that kind of thing, which is odd, but maybe they do believe we are all on the beach.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Dec/Jan/Christmas time is the big holiday period in Australia, like August in the UK....these periods always have shows on which leaves a lot to be desired
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Dec/Jan/Christmas time is the big holiday period in Australia, like August in the UK....these periods always have shows on which leaves a lot to be desired
Ah well, time to heed the theory of the WANNABEE poms to practise then. Forget the TV and head down the beach, with the UV index of 12(Extreme) and the flies. After all who needs TV with all that lovely weather and future skin cancer clinic attendance.

Seriously though, if you want decent TV in OZ at any given time, you will have rather a long wait.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:30 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

What takes your fancy?

BBC What's on
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Quinkana
What takes your fancy?

BBC What's on
OK so UK TV has a mundane selection on some evenings. I happen to believe that a lot of TV is tripe (reality TV, endless property shows etc).

However only the most one eyed narrow minded Aussie would claim that UK TV such as the Beeb and channel 4 are inferior to Channel 7,9,10 etc. The only half decent channel is ABC and we all know where all their output is purchased from.

One example I can think of straight away are some classic channel 4 films from the last 20 years, care to tell me about any world renowned output from channels 7 or 10??
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Ah well, time to heed the theory of the WANNABEE poms to practise then. Forget the TV and head down the beach, with the UV index of 12(Extreme) and the flies. After all who needs TV with all that lovely weather and future skin cancer clinic attendance.

Seriously though, if you want decent TV in OZ at any given time, you will have rather a long wait.
Why so aggressive?

I don't WANNABEE anything, I AM very proudly S.African.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:47 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil S
TV companies have promised us better TV than the usual crap the serve here. Anyway who needs the telly? I've hardly watched it in 12 weeks since arriving here except for the football on Foxtel
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:48 pm
wombat42

Britains have a higher death rate from skin cancer then Australians,
because of a higher detection rate,also if you read the article below being out in the Sun for a reasonable amount of time is good for you and that Britains unlike Australians lack Vitamin D because of the lack of sun in Britain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/news/...306885,00.html

However regarding Christmas TV in OZ , at the risk of sounding like a whinging Aussie and having to agree with Eatstatic-Kong for the first time,
l have to say its total garbage.

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 13th 2004 at 10:52 pm.

Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:52 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

OK so UK TV has a mundane selection on some evenings. I happen to believe that a lot of TV is tripe (reality TV, endless property shows etc).

However only the most one eyed narrow minded Aussie would claim that UK TV such as the Beeb and channel 4 are inferior to Channel 7,9,10 etc. The only half decent channel is ABC and we all know where all their output is purchased from.

One example I can think of straight away are some classic channel 4 films from the last 20 years, care to tell me about any world renowned output from channels 7 or 10??
So nothing of interest on Aunty Beeb ?

Anything on SBS or ABC ?

Channel 7, 9 and 10 are known the world over for obnoxious adverts aimed at the VCR illiterate.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:28 pm
ABCDiamond

I agree with you today.

I came up with this great idea for TV program selection ..... Only watch what I like the look of, and spend the extra time doing better things.

The lack of "watchable" TV in Australia is a positive thing to me. Even my daughter gets the benefit of going outside and playing with friends instead of being glued to the TV

I just wish that OZ TV was as bad during the rest of the year as it is at Christmas time (the non-rating season)

Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I can honestly say that in nearly all of my 20 odd Xmas's in Oz, we rarely have the TV on during the day (even more so if the weather is good).

We're nearly always outside on the back verandah enoying lunch, the company we're with and watching all the kids enjoying themselves with their new toys and games. Then in the evening we're normally sitting on the verandah, enjoying leftovers, watching the kids enjoying themselves.

This year (the first time for me ever!!) we are going to the beach on Xmas Day. Him outdoors has not had an Xmas in Oz before, so I thought it'd be a laugh to go there for the day (as long as the weather is fine).

Saying that, I used to really enjoy watching the Christmas specials that were on. Cilla always made me cry, Eastenders was always a good one, and Only Fools & Horses was great to watch too.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:41 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by wombat42
Britains have a higher death rate from skin cancer then Australians,
because of a higher detection rate,also if you read the article below being out in the Sun for a reasonable amount of time is good for you and that Britains unlike Australians lack Vitamin D because of the lack of sun in Britain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/news/...306885,00.html

It doesn't actually say that there is a lack of sun in the UK (though no doubt many will argue there is ) Just that Britons have been educated 'too well' and now avoid what sun there is.

"Sometimes successful health campaigns can have quite unexpected repercussions. The years of warnings about skin cancer mean that Britons are happy to cover themselves in sunscreen or stay out of the sun altogether, but it also means that most of us are not getting enough vitamin D."
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree with you today.

I came up with this great idea for TV program selection ..... Only watch what I like the look of, and spend the extra time doing better things.

The lack of "watchable" TV in Australia is a positive thing to me. Even my daughter gets the benefit of going outside and playing with friends instead of being glued to the TV

I just wish that OZ TV was as bad during the rest of the year as it is at Christmas time (the non-rating season)

See! Now this is why I don't understand the ex-pat thing of moaning about how crap Oz TV is! My hubby (English) can prattle for hours about the programmes he watched as a kid. I (an Aussie) can't. I never sat inside watching telly. I was always out and about with my friends. And to be honest, since coming to the UK (6 years ago) I do watch far too much TV. Because it is too bl**dy cold to go outside. Bring on the sunshine!

At last I understand ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.