Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is it a risk worth taking?

is it a risk worth taking?

Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:06 am
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice
Default is it a risk worth taking?

hi all, hope you are all well. i post on here quite regular especially for advice on whether to go to perth. we are worried that by the time we get there, if we start the process sharpish(nurse and prison officer) we are going to miss the boat, if not already done so, and will not be any better or god forbid , worse off financially. i will be seeking employment , but hubby wants to do something else(he is desperate to throw those cell keys away!)is it a risk worth taking as we would have to sell our boudoir(hopefully make 100,000 smackeronies),advice good, bad or god damn ugly very mucho appreciated.lisa
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it a risk worth taking?

Originally Posted by lisabarber
hi all, hope you are all well. i post on here quite regular especially for advice on whether to go to perth. we are worried that by the time we get there, if we start the process sharpish(nurse and prison officer) we are going to miss the boat, if not already done so, and will not be any better or god forbid , worse off financially. i will be seeking employment , but hubby wants to do something else(he is desperate to throw those cell keys away!)is it a risk worth taking as we would have to sell our boudoir(hopefully make 100,000 smackeronies),advice good, bad or god damn ugly very mucho appreciated.lisa

I'm sure there's a question in there somewhere
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:11 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
do you want to be the good, the bad or the god damn ugly?
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:11 am
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
ive always been longwinded, negative posts have put me off, worried if only one of us working temporaraly, we would end up in financial poo street :scared:
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:12 am
lisa

ive always been longwinded, negative posts have put me off, worried if only one of us working temporaraly, we would end up in financial poo street :scared:
all i can take it , im a nurse, advice that is!!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:19 am

gedge has disabled reputation

It's a risk only you can judge.
Nurses are as poorly paid here as in the Uk. What is your OH thinking of doing?
People have come here with significantly less than what you may have after house sale. My wife and I had about a tenth of that.
Would you realy consider not coming because you don't know what your financial future might be? We made sure that we'd always have enough to back out if need be, and then just upped and went. It's normal to have these worries, but don't put them between you and the destination.
Ask yourself if there's something else that would really prevent you from giving it a go.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:28 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this reply will instill some confidence in you.....

We have three kids and were ticking along nicely on hubbies wage (qualified accountant but doing a managerial role in financial services) back in the UK. I hadn't worked for 8 years while raising the little 'uns. Moved over here and hubby wanted a change........he is now selling cars and I went back to work part time (admin). We are not earning anything like what we were on in the UK but we feel refreshed for the change. It can be done but don't expect it to be easy.

Good luck!

Binbird
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:41 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Well I would ask yourself two fundamental questions.

Why do you want to move to australia? and Why perth? and be honest with yourself, cos cheating on your answers will only affect you and your family.

There is a housing shortage in perth at the moment and rents and homes to buy are way over what they are worth.

If your hubby wants out of the prison service, has he given any thought to what he might want to do? Woudl perth be the best place for that line of work?

Personally I live in perth and I don't like the place. I'd be looking at melbourne or tasmania or adelaide, but thats just me.

Financially there's no telling how you will go because that depends on several factors and a bit of luck.

Why not check out this link, it will give you a lot of info on jobs and trends and even specific areas of the country where some skills are more ind emand than others.

http://jobsearch.gov.au
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:48 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't fancy NZ then? I know they are short of Prison Officers and Nurses, so both of you would be employed.....best of luck though!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:52 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Hi Lisa
as you know we're in pretty much the same situation as you, but - got visas yesterday ( 457 as only way we could get there at the moment ) and are planning to go as soon as the house sale is completed.
We've accepted a cash offer, which although less than we wanted, will mean that we can go sooner and not worry about chains falling through etc.

I've been sponsored by the health authority, who will sponsor for perm res when I start work with them, so we will be living on just my wage initially.
Yes - I think it could be tough and my husband would also like a change of career, but if we don't go now while we have the opportunity, we never will and life will be full of What Ifs.

As a nurse I've lived on student and staff nurse crappy wages and although we're now earning more and are pretty comfortable, I'm not any happier now than I was then. Life is about fun and experiences, so just GO FOR IT!!
You'll be fine.
Good Luck
Loubags
Old Mar 18th 2006, 9:05 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Missed what boat exactly?

Do you mean the boat that lets you sell your UK property and buy an Aussie dream house in paradise with no mortgage for the rest of your lives?

Sorry if I sound blunt, I dont mean to be but think long and hard about emigrating......you WILL be worse off financially, if only for a short time. Whether you make a success of it will depend entirely on your attitude.

Australia is a beautiful place...come try it and try not to worry too much about the "smackeronies"
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:08 am
Just Joined

stjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=lisabarber]hi all, hope you are all well. i post on here quite regular especially for advice on whether to go to perth. we are worried that by the time we get there, if we start the process sharpish(nurse and prison officer) we are going to miss the boat, if not already done so, and will not be any better or god forbid , worse off financially. i will be seeking employment , but hubby wants to do something else(he is desperate to throw those cell keys away!)is it a risk worth taking as we would have to sell our boudoir(hopefully make 100,000 smackeronies),advice good, bad or god damn ugly very mucho

Hi.
I would say if you want to go to be financially better off forget it, I have not seen any jobs that pay more than UK and the cost of living is not much different when earning AUD.
If you want to go to leave the crowd,more house for your money,more relaxed and better life style( my opinion) then go for it.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice
Smile Re: is it a risk worth taking?

We have been in Perth since Dec 05 and love it. We came from Cheshire. We have not found it any cheaper here but the lifestyle is fantastic and the schools a thousand times better than what we thought were good schools in the UK. It gets lonely in the mornings not being able to phone my family because of the time difference. If you are close to your family and have close friends you see alot of, then you might struggle a bit at first. The Aussies dont have alot of time for people who complain alot and go on and on about what was better in the UK. We find having a good sense of humour and a positive attitude goes a long way. It's an adventure. The houses are not as big as we expected but we have bought one with a pool which we could not do in England. In my opinion, yes it is definitely worth it. Trade in the dull grey for bright sunshine.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:50 am
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of

Hi Lisa,

We are constantly thinking the same as you and deciding if we should go or not. Seem to change our minds every 2nd day but allways go back to deciding that yes we think it wil be worth it.

Will probably be worse off ourselfs but have decided that we will hopefully gain in other areas that are more important to us

Do I sound cheesy or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy
xxx

P.S. How did the interview go
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:57 pm
lisa

thanks to all of you for your replys.we thought of new zealand, but have mates who came back and would plump for oz again if they had the chance. money isnt everything and noticed a few postings in the past that we might have left it two years too late. we would be doing it for our boys, who need a better life style, im not whingeing, britain this that and the other, but there is more to life for them than the wacky warehouse and a mcdonalds on a saturday afternoon(oohh im a bad mum). we have friends in port kennedy who went with 8 grand and sold up when they were settled, hubby would do anything, he likes gardening a cooking so i think he is after a job in a bar(he thinks hes 18 again).
ps wendy interview on monday, should know on wednesday so will let you know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.