Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

returning to Oz with a new passport

returning to Oz with a new passport

Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default returning to Oz with a new passport

Hi,

A couple of the family had to get new uk passports but obviously the visa's are still in the old ones. What do we have do about it if we decided to return to Oz?

Do we have send our passports off to Australia hse. Also, our daughter had hers stolen a few months back, had the visa inside so what happens about that? It was reported to the police and the passport office.

Any advice appreciated
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

SharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really niceSharonN is just really nice
Default Re: returning to Oz with a new passport

Hi, in similar situation and when I came through immigration a few weeks ago back to UK I asked them, Thye said no worries (mate?!) just show them the old passport with the visa together with the new one.

Not tested and tried but that is what I am doing when I return.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Hi,

A couple of the family had to get new uk passports but obviously the visa's are still in the old ones. What do we have do about it if we decided to return to Oz?
Visa in old passport is ok as far as DIAC are concerned. However, there is a risk of delay at check-in as not all airline staff understand this.

Do we have send our passports off to Australia hse. Also, our daughter had hers stolen a few months back, had the visa inside so what happens about that? It was reported to the police and the passport office.
She needs a new visa label otherwise the airline will not allow her to board the flight. Contact Australia House urgently.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Hi,

Any advice appreciated
It's free to get it re-evidenced and takes 3 to 5 days.

You need to send in your old passport and new one. Send them in a special delivery silver pouch with a self addressed silver pouch. Obviously include a covering letter.

The address is:

Visa Evidencing
Australian High Commission
Strand
London
WC2B 4LA
United Kingdom

If you want to confirm this you can always contact Australia house at the contact centre. That is also free. If you call it will cost you £1 per minute.

The email address for the contact centre is [email protected]

Hope this helps. I just thought it would be easier to travel with up to date passports and the fact it didn't cost anything chose to update.

Best of luck

J
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:39 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I got a new passport here in Oz. I then went to DIMIA and changed my old visa into my new passport. No worries. Took 2 minutes to do but had to wait about 30-40 minutes. Also it was free.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful. I will email them regarding my daughters passport etc tomorrow.

Mandy
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ha! Transpires that the passport that my daughter had stolen was a new one too! The old one with her visa in is sitting in the draw

Mandy