Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

returning for kids sake?

returning for kids sake?

Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

gottogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default returning for kids sake?

We are looking at migrating probably to Perth next year. There have been so many posts on reasons why people return to the UK but most of them appear to relate to the adults. We were wondering if anyone returned because their kids couldn't settle over there. We are so sure this is the right move for us, but would have to consider coming back if the children were not happy (we have ages from 3 to 17). The lifestyle seems great for kids, but of course not all children love surfing or tennis. Any views?

Geoff
Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't have to be surfing or tennis. Its just the whole idea of being able to play outside, instead of being cooped up for days on end, and then having dampness when you do go out. Even for little ones, just playing in the garden, or being able to go for picnics and that kind of thing, without organised sport, has to be a more healthy lifestyle.
i'm speaking as an aunt, not a parent, but I know its an outdoor, fresh-air lifestyle that my sister would love for her children.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: returning for kids sake?

Originally posted by gottogo
We are looking at migrating probably to Perth next year. There have been so many posts on reasons why people return to the UK but most of them appear to relate to the adults. We were wondering if anyone returned because their kids couldn't settle over there. We are so sure this is the right move for us, but would have to consider coming back if the children were not happy (we have ages from 3 to 17). The lifestyle seems great for kids, but of course not all children love surfing or tennis. Any views?

Geoff

There are people here going back because of the poor schooling for their kids here in Oz and you should also think about this: job prospects for your kids will not be as good in Oz (by a long way) as in the UK, especially if your kids are clever and go to university rather than just want to do a trade for a living. They may well want to leave Oz when they are in their 20s and go back to the UK - all the clever Ozzie kids leave for better prospects (including both my own kids) to the UK/USA - and then you will not have them around to enjoy their company (and any grandchildren they give you) when you are old. It is worth thinking what you are doing now - don't emigrate to OZ just because you are unhappy with the UK because you are doing something big when emigrating - much bigger than you might realise. Also, don't fall for the "You can always come back" rubbish - you will spend a lot of money on emigrating and you may get stuck and not be able to get the money or the energy to go back throuhg it all again to go back to the UK.

Don't get carried away by thinking "Oz is going to be so much better than here" because it is a very ordinary place to live once you have been here 2 years or so, and all you may get from your emigration is a new love for the UK when you remember how good it was compared to your new home.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pollyana
Doesn't have to be surfing or tennis. Its just the whole idea of being able to play outside, instead of being cooped up for days on end,
-------------------------------------------------
Would someone mind telling my kids that!!!! They are still happy to sit in front of videos and PS2. We have to forceably eject them from the house.

They do have fun and school and daycare playing outside though and the schools seem to have loads of equipment for them to use at recess and lunchtime.

Old Aug 8th 2003, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

S/pick is an unknown quantity at this point

Wilf, the man of wisdom. Do you think the education system or the job prospect are any better here. We know people who have been to the top universities here and have top grades and are only employed as admin staff for £12.000.
Trust me the UK is not a bed of rose either. Yes, it is possible to come back. I moved to the US for 3 years and came back. What nonsense you speak sometimes.

Are you a immigration officer or scared someone will do better in OZ than you have? I've been reading your post for the last 6 months and not once have you said anything positve about OZ and you live there. Are you stupid? If it so bad why are you still there, pack up and comeback to the UK and prove it's such a great place to us all.

Your kids were obviously Oz educated and if they are doing well else where, does'nt that prove their education was'nt that bad.

Maybe you should let someone who has child who are at school answer this one.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

I have moaned before about the awful state of secondry education in the uk and the lack of teaching staff so i wont go there again, but as far as prospects go, my kids are 5 and 6 years old how do i know what prospects they will have in either country, no one knows what things are going to be like this time next year let alone in 12 years time, so all i can do is try to give them the best upbringing i can and that doesnt revolve solely around education, from my point of view being a child mans having fun. i may have been wondering around perth with rose tinted specks on but life there to me has alsways seemed much more family orientated than in the uk, whaich still has a children should be seen and not heard attitude in many respects. I also heard recently from a primary school teacher that many primary schools here are bringing in australian teaching practices, so surely aussie education must have something going for it.

Lynn
Old Aug 8th 2003, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

S/pick is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree totally. My daughters scholl is in the top 3rd of the country and was 3rd in the county. We had to move here to get her into decent school. Now they are joining two schools together, but unfortunately the funds will be decreased by a 3rd. So they are talking abouy shorter days, less tachers and bigger classes. In the last 2 years my husband and I have noticed the difference. The classes started with 25 now they are 32. It's pot luck whatever you do, but like you said you have go to give it a go.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 8:32 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

completely disagree with Wilf....

sure it is true many people leave Aus and NZ to do their 'OE' - and take up professional jobs in London to not return for many years..... but just as many bright educated intelligent people return within a couple of years, or never go in the first place.... you paint a picture of nothing but 'tradespeople', which of course in completely inaccurate - they do have universities and doctors and lawyers in australia you know wilf....

And you really think your kids are going to hang around wherever you are? How do you know that if you stay in the UK they won't decide to move off to Aus when they marry and have kids?? Or the USA or wherever?? Kids grow into adults, and adults do whatever the hell they like...

all kids will go through a period of homesickness (as adults do - sounds like Wilf has never got over his), but they will probably adapt faster than the adults. I would consider giving the oldest (17 year old) the option to stay in the UK if they wish - they are practically an adult and IMO should be allowed to choose where to live if they want it...
Old Aug 8th 2003, 9:48 am
Badge

there are professional jobs in Australia - I can't understand this attitude of "no prospects" which seems to pervade this forum. As Australia is also a tradesman's country there is opportunity there as well and less of a class based system on what you do to boot.

Whats the point in earning hundreds of pounds a year in a place like London when all you can spend it on is consumer goods and restaurants etc. I would much rather my kids had prospects to develop as happy, all-round confident individuals as so many Aussie kids do..

Old Aug 8th 2003, 10:18 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

well said badgersmount!

and a big YES to the class system point....
Old Aug 8th 2003, 10:48 am
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Where we live in Horsham, West Sussex (very well off area) Royal and Sun Alliance made alot of people redundant just after xmas - they have brought in programmers from India who will work for 1/2 the salary the UK programmers would expect. They are put up in cheap accommodation and then send home money to their families in India. Not saying these Indian contractors caused the job losses, but Royal & Sun can't afford to keep these people on.

Hubby is a programmer and is having problems getting contracts for more than 3 months at a time whereas 2 years ago they would beg him to stay on for months on end. Rates have dropped and many big companies just can't afford to employ the people that they need.
I work at a junior school and we have lost alot of gov funding to the inner city schools. Many Heads are in the same boat, and our Head has had to employ teachers straight from teacher training because he can't afford to take on teachers with years of experience - which is what makes a good teacher!
Nowhere is perfect, you just have to weight up the pros and cons and decide for yourself - everyone wants different things in life and it is not always about money (although it does help!)

Sandra
Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:01 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by badgersmount
there are professional jobs in Australia - I can't understand this attitude of "no prospects" which seems to pervade this forum. As Australia is also a tradesman's country there is opportunity there as well and less of a class based system on what you do to boot.

Whats the point in earning hundreds of pounds a year in a place like London when all you can spend it on is consumer goods and restaurants etc. I would much rather my kids had prospects to develop as happy, all-round confident individuals as so many Aussie kids do..
Although.....if it IS money you want, its still possible in aus. One of my wifes closest friends is a lawyer in aus. Shes currently on just over 150k a year, and shes 27. Now....i fully understand this situation is rare, but it does show that its possible to make a VERY good living in the land downunder.

Your kids will have good prospects if you are a good parent, send them to a good school and look after them. Does'nt matter where you are.

I know plenty of succesful people in both countries.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:58 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by S/pick
Your kids were obviously Oz educated and if they are doing well else where, does'nt that prove their education was'nt that bad.
This is a very good point, if the OZ educaton is so bad how are so many young Oz graduates able to compete for jobs against British and American graduates in UK and USA. Like you say the Oz education can't be that bad.
I for one am happy for my children to be educated in Oz, I think they will benifit from an improved lifestyle. My eldest goes to private school here in England, I may also feel I have to pay for their education over there, hopefully I won't have to, but if I do at least it is a lot more affordable.
ACE
Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:59 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ACE
This is a very good point, if the OZ educaton is so bad how are so many young Oz graduates able to compete for jobs against British and American graduates in UK and USA. Like you say the Oz education can't be that bad.
I for one am happy for my children to be educated in Oz, I think they will benifit from an improved lifestyle. My eldest goes to private school here in England, I may also feel I have to pay for their education over there, hopefully I won't have to, but if I do at least it is a lot more affordable.
ACE
Australian universities are amongst the highest ranked in the world....
Old Aug 8th 2003, 12:13 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Doesn't have to be surfing or tennis. Its just the whole idea of being able to play outside, instead of being cooped up for days on end, and then having dampness when you do go out. Even for little ones, just playing in the garden, or being able to go for picnics and that kind of thing, without organised sport, has to be a more healthy lifestyle.
i'm speaking as an aunt, not a parent, but I know its an outdoor, fresh-air lifestyle that my sister would love for her children.
Of course you can do that in the UK as well. If weather was such a big factor, the Scandanavian countries would be in big trouble!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.