Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

returning for kids sake?

returning for kids sake?

Old Aug 9th 2003, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gOD
They are being taught, the problem is practice. Can you still do long division? Well,you probably can, but I bet that most of my generation would struggle without a calc!! It was taught, but then we spent the next five years using a calculator.

What does it matter how you do it so long as you get the right answer.
I am an oldie, and didn't use calculators in my time, but use calculators all the time now.

Whisky
Old Aug 9th 2003, 10:13 am
Badge

Originally posted by stavros
Wife and I are an Ozzie/Pom couple in our late 20s living in the H Counties. We came here 4 years ago and made friends with probably 20+ other Ozzies of a similar age group in the first 2 years. Of that group there are only 2 girls left both who got fixed up with Poms. We are returning to Oz ourselves next year.

OK some were working holiday folks but the majority are in construction, teaching, Nursing or IT and loved it here for 2-3 years and could quite easily have picked up a sponsor but I keep hearing that phrase "I am so over the UK"

I would say a much higher proportion of people return to Oz than stay in the UK.

true. Most love their 2 years - make some money - then return.
Its a minority that stay.

badgers

Old Aug 9th 2003, 10:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i agree, my Aussie friends had a great time here and loved it, and their travel around europe. But they couldn't wait to get home, mainly because they felt to claustrapohbic here from the lack of open spaces and too many people crammed into such a small area.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

gottogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this subject. The funny thing is, because my job situation means we have to move home whatever happens, we decided to ask the children whether they would prefer to move to another part of the UK or to Australia and they all answered Oz (apart from the 3 year old who didn't understand the question)! I guess once you take out the "leaving my friends" factor there is not a strong feeling for the UK as far as children are concerned.
Seems encouraging, or is it that we are slowly managing to brainwash them....
As most of you have said time and time again, we are only going to know once we have been living there for a year or more. I have to say the recent spate of good weather here makes us even more determined to go for it and enjoy it more consistently - can you imagine how we are going to feel in the UK come October when we know we will have to wait another 7 or 8 months for this sort of weather to return!?

Geoff
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:35 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

sandypandy...

I'm not 100% sure but I would imagine the UK universities would accept NZ students at either undergraduate or graduate levels based on grades (I imagine graduate level might be easier)...

The big problem though is financial.... your child will undoubtably be classified as an international student (doesn't matter about passport - it's done on how long you've been out of the UK I think) which means they will have to pay non-subsidised fees. They also may not be eligible for EU funded scholarships, and then of course have to pay living expenses using NZ/Aus dollars (or get a job).

So I'm sure it can be done - but like anything, money talks.

It's worth bearing in mind that (I think) NZ students can study at domestic fee rates in Aust and vice versa, so if you find NZ universities aren't suitable (though I can't see why they wouldn't be) then they can go to aussie ones as well.

I really don't think educational opportunies would really differ that much until you get to PHD levels... (depending on your subject) - but at that level people move around the world wherever you are....
Old Aug 12th 2003, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[. For instance, it will be much harder to study German in NZ, but easier to study Japanese..

:Just a little point but my son has just registered for high school and had the choce of learning Japanese, French or German - this seems to be the norm !
Old Sep 15th 2003, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Carisma_chic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
completely disagree with Wilf....

sure it is true many people leave Aus and NZ to do their 'OE' - and take up professional jobs in London to not return for many years..... but just as many bright educated intelligent people return within a couple of years, or never go in the first place.... you paint a picture of nothing but 'tradespeople', which of course in completely inaccurate - they do have universities and doctors and lawyers in australia you know wilf....

And you really think your kids are going to hang around wherever you are? How do you know that if you stay in the UK they won't decide to move off to Aus when they marry and have kids?? Or the USA or wherever?? Kids grow into adults, and adults do whatever the hell they like...

all kids will go through a period of homesickness (as adults do - sounds like Wilf has never got over his), but they will probably adapt faster than the adults. I would consider giving the oldest (17 year old) the option to stay in the UK if they wish - they are practically an adult and IMO should be allowed to choose where to live if they want it...
Hey itz Carisma here, thisis the first time I have been on this site having only discovered it existed. I have just emmigrated to Perth with my parents (I am 15) from Aberdeen,Scotland and I am finding it hard to adjust especially to the schooling system. I Have Very good standard grade passes and decided to take a year out to enjoy Australia and then when I feel I am ready I can decided if I want to go home or if I want to go to college or uni etc... At the end of the day I am still young and I have the rest of my life to learn and if I end up going home then my time here will definately not be wasted. If I hadn't moved with my parents (I did have the option to stay @ home) then I would have constantly been wondering "what if...???". Life is full of experiences good and bad and remember if you don't like something about your life you can always change it. Where there is a will, there IS a way.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hi Charisma

Are you missing Butteries, White puddings & Stovies???

What is it about the high schools here? I am here but my kids are only wee?

Have fun
Diane
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Carisma_chic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Hi Charisma

Are you missing Butteries, White puddings & Stovies???

What is it about the high schools here? I am here but my kids are only wee?

Have fun
Diane
Yes!!! I could kill a buttery just now. I think the fact that I went to a Scottish High school for 4 years and only had 1 yeay left before I was planning to leave. The system at home seems more structured and the cirriculum slightly more varied. Also I have passed year 11 with my 4th year standard grade results and have already covered some of the yr 12 work. In my opinion schools at home are further ahead and the minimum standards to leave school are higher at home. I suppose each school is different and I cannot tar all schools over here with the same brush. I have a younger brother who is about to turn 4 and he had just started playgroup so the Australian schooling system will all he will know. It will be the norm for him and he won't know what he is or isn't missing by having an australian education. I hope that explains a little more than my previous post.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

going back to the education point. Wilf and others perseive oz education as a load of cr**, so why is that i have just completed a 3 year degree here in the uk and i am now working as a qualified social worker, but when i migrate to oz my uk degree is deemed as not equivilant to an oz degree in social work, coz their degree is 4 yrs! so when i get there i will have to do a MA before i can work as a social worker!

Ellen1
Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

maybe they have bigger problems here!!

Sorry Ellen that was supposed to be funny

Dunno really, you get mixed reports on education. Was speaking to a lady the other day whose brother & family were on a 2 yr secondment to Uk. They are back now but are seriously condsidering going there full time cos they were so impressed with the ed. system.

I think it's different here, they focus on different things. They already do show & tell at my 4 yr olds kindy to encourage confidence but nothing in the way of reading & writing. He would be at school now full time in Uk & would be bringing home reading books and doing handwriting. That is at least another year away here.

I'll know more in a couple of years I suppose. Good luck with the MA!

Diane
Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnj
I have moaned before about the awful state of secondry education in the uk and the lack of teaching staff so i wont go there again, but as far as prospects go, my kids are 5 and 6 years old how do i know what prospects they will have in either country, no one knows what things are going to be like this time next year let alone in 12 years time, so all i can do is try to give them the best upbringing i can and that doesnt revolve solely around education, from my point of view being a child mans having fun. i may have been wondering around perth with rose tinted specks on but life there to me has alsways seemed much more family orientated than in the uk, whaich still has a children should be seen and not heard attitude in many respects. I also heard recently from a primary school teacher that many primary schools here are bringing in australian teaching practices, so surely aussie education must have something going for it.

Lynn
I agree - my recent training as a primary school teacher involved a lot of reviewing Australian training resources etc. (First Steps) and the professor that took us for literacy thought that Australia was way ahead of our system. We had pages of the stuff given to us.
It's also true that we don't know what the system in either country will be like in a few years time - look how much things have changed in the past decade (particularly in education). I'm not so sure how great the primary sector is here - we have an other prescriptive curriculum and children are under a lot of pressure to perform in their SATs tests - I hope the government gets rid of them. I for one, would not like to teach in the primary sector in the UK again.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Different systems same country

From what I understand the different states have different education systems. Are there any teachers here who know how compatible they all are? Does this mean standards vary from state to state?
Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:23 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's different here, they focus on different things. They already do show & tell at my 4 yr olds kindy to encourage confidence but nothing in the way of reading & writing. He would be at school now full time in Uk & would be bringing home reading books and doing handwriting. That is at least another year away here.

Diane
I am looking forward to my infant kids slowing down a bit, i feel they are forced to do too much way too soon. My just 6 year old has started year 2 and has come home saying he has to do joined up writting He also had 3 homework challenges, one of which was to choose and learn a piece of poetry off by heart! Its mad!
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hevs

Right again, both my boys have been moaning about being back at school as all they do is work, work, work and have no time for fun and my yr 2 7 year old has told me that he will have to do an exam this year and is quite worried about it, kids here grow up too fast and have too much pressure put on them. The system down here is very different from the system they would have been in had we still been in Aberdeen, but at the end of the day we will never know what is right and surely them being happy is what counts most of all, if they are happy they will acheive if they arent then they wont no matter what their potential. Mind you they are both really looking forward to haveing weeks on end off school when we go

Carisma chic

just to make you really sick i have just finished eating a buttery, i'm having to get my mum to send them down to me (we live in England) every week as i cant live without them, Diane thinks i should start up a buttery business when we get over there i hope you are settling in well and not missing the granite city too much (like you would?) at least you can see the scottish football over there, more than you get in england!!

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.