Reload this Page >

return or one way ?

return or one way ?

Old Oct 5th 2003, 11:59 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough
Default return or one way ?

ok heres my dilemma,

My husband has just been offered the job in Wanaka via a phone call tonight from them, its gonna be easier and quicker for him to go first on a visitors visa then his employers can help him sort work visa out over there, as i have been told it can be done while hes there and could take 48hours to get, where as if he applies from the UK for his work visa it will take months to get, so im trying to find out if he will incur any problems coming in to New zealand on a visitors visa on a one way ticket as they are like 400.00pounds cheaper

any info greatly appreciated

Old Oct 6th 2003, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to NZ on a one way ticket - working holiday visa - they where fine I just got a note on my visa saying outward journey waived no problems at all.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

You won't get very far with a 1-way ticket unfortunately - if you go to NZ as a tourist (ie using the visa waiver programme) you need a return or onward ticket out of NZ. The airline won't let you check in unless you have one. WHV's are different, and it is possible to go over on a 1-way if you have a WHV as Ben says.

There are ways around this though - buy a return ticket (obviously!), book a fully refundable ticket on your credit card and cancel the return leg once he's arrived. You'll pay more for this and you should check with the airline that you can cancel & get a refund for the return leg. All of the cheap fares are usually not refundable or changeable, so beware of this! Another option is to book a cheap 1-way flight with Freedom Air to Australia.

As for work permits, yes it will be quicker to obtain one in NZ, strongly recommend your husband visits a NZIS office and applies in person (if he has all of the paperwork together, they should be able to process it there and then) rather than applying by post. Someone I know recently applied to the Auckland office for a work permit and has been waiting more than 2 months for a reply. The nearest NZIS office to Wanaka is at Dunedin (or Christchurch).

Russ
Old Oct 6th 2003, 12:24 am
UK to NZ to Canada

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
You won't get very far with a 1-way ticket unfortunately - if you go to NZ as a tourist (ie using the visa waiver programme) you need a return or onward ticket out of NZ. The airline won't let you check in unless you have one. WHV's are different, and it is possible to go over on a 1-way if you have a WHV as Ben says.

There are ways around this though - buy a return ticket (obviously!), book a fully refundable ticket on your credit card and cancel the return leg once he's arrived. You'll pay more for this and you should check with the airline that you can cancel & get a refund for the return leg. All of the cheap fares are usually not refundable or changeable, so beware of this! Another option is to book a cheap 1-way flight with Freedom Air to Australia.

As for work permits, yes it will be quicker to obtain one in NZ, strongly recommend your husband visits a NZIS office and applies in person (if he has all of the paperwork together, they should be able to process it there and then) rather than applying by post. Someone I know recently applied to the Auckland office for a work permit and has been waiting more than 2 months for a reply. The nearest NZIS office to Wanaka is at Dunedin (or Christchurch).

Russ
Thats great,

Ty Russ i will do that, his employer has offered to help him with everything before and when he gets there so applying in person at christchurch shouldnt be a problem,

Thanks
Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:26 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Hi everyone,

You can get a Visitors Visa with a oneway ticket as I have just got one a month ago from NZIS London. They gave us nine months, it cost £45 for all six of us, we just had to show, we have money in the bank to purchase return tickets and support ourselves.

Cheers Kev.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by St George Six
Hi everyone,

You can get a Visitors Visa with a oneway ticket as I have just got one a month ago from NZIS London. They gave us nine months, it cost £45 for all six of us, we just had to show, we have money in the bank to purchase return tickets and support ourselves.

Cheers Kev.
...that's right, if you actually apply for the visitors visa you just need to show funds, whereas if you just turn up under the waiver agreement you need a ticket like Russ said..

Congrats on the job,

Gra..
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:56 am
UK to NZ to Canada

Originally posted by Gra.B
...that's right, if you actually apply for the visitors visa you just need to show funds, whereas if you just turn up under the waiver agreement you need a ticket like Russ said..

Congrats on the job,

Gra..

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the help and advice ill check into it and let ya know how everything goes, just put house on the markeyt today, been told should get a buyer rather quick so fingers crossed,

bye 4 now

Tigger
Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:12 am
UK to NZ to Canada

ok im getting myself all in a tizz here...i have a thought if my hubby goes a month before me on a visitors visa then get his work permit/visa sorted will it still be ok for me and kids to follow a month later also on visitors visas?

cheers and sorry
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by TiggerLottie
ok im getting myself all in a tizz here...i have a thought if my hubby goes a month before me on a visitors visa then get his work permit/visa sorted will it still be ok for me and kids to follow a month later also on visitors visas?

cheers and sorry
You can follow on as visitors, same will apply regarding tickets so look into actually applying. No problem you doing that though, once there & as long as hubby has work permit you can also gain an open work permit & children study permits for school if need be.

There are new conditions for partners, these are now the same if married or not, need to show at least 12mths living together etc...but I guess this won't be a problem for you..

Gra..
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:50 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, but is there really a place called Wanaka
and sorry, but i can't help with the question either
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:59 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by h garrett
sorry, but is there really a place called Wanaka
and sorry, but i can't help with the question either
And I thought as a kid that all places in NZ were called Waikickamoocow!

Sorry about the sidetrack - you got excellent advice to your questions!

TennisOz

Old Oct 6th 2003, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by tennisoz
And I thought as a kid that all places in NZ were called Waikickamoocow!
TennisOz
Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:18 am
Just Joined

RJMcD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: return or one way ?

Originally posted by TiggerLottie
ok heres my dilemma,

My husband has just been offered the job in Wanaka via a phone call tonight from them, its gonna be easier and quicker for him to go first on a visitors visa then his employers can help him sort work visa out over there, as i have been told it can be done while hes there and could take 48hours to get, where as if he applies from the UK for his work visa it will take months to get, so im trying to find out if he will incur any problems coming in to New zealand on a visitors visa on a one way ticket as they are like 400.00pounds cheaper

any info greatly appreciated

hi I'm off to NZ at the end of November, but am still waiting to hear about my PR visa (husband is a Kiwi so am applying under spouse category) If I don't gt my visa in time I was thinking of applying for a visitors visa, so I would not have to buy a return ticket. My husband is desparate to get to NZ in time for Christmas! Does anyone know how long it takes, and how easy it is to get a visitor's visa?