Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Once was back packer

Once was back packer

Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:04 pm
jules

Julie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Once was back packer

I was just wondering what peoples various reasons for emmigrating were. I back packed round Oz for a year in 99-2000 and loved it. I can rembember getting the flight home thinking I really dont want to leave. I must admit most of my time in Oz was spent boozing, sunbathing and generally having a good time but I did work, at one point i packed bloody bananas which was an experience. Anyway we, that is me, my partner and our two year old are hoping to emmigrate. When i tell people how much i loved it there and really want to go back they just say well you were on holiday werent you it will be different if you live there. I know there are no guarantees but i think at least ive tasted the aussie way of life and seen a bit of the country, not just the inside of the pubs i may add. MY partner has also been there twice and has relatives in sydney. I really would like to hear peoples reasons for going.

cheers

julie
Old Oct 27th 2003, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Climate is a big reason for us it will allow us to pursuit more outdoor activites like boating, diving, swimming etc etc

Financially we will be able to afford a great house with no mortgage.

Slower pace of life. We aim to work less and play more.

Children. Growing up as a child out there seems to give you more of a chance to get outside and have fun!

Get out of the rat race. Pressure of both of us working etc are too much. We may earn more money here, but we have to spend it on expensive holidays to get away from the doom and gloom.

Adventure. Because we can. I don't want to stay in the same area and job for the next x years of my life. Get out and live a little.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 10:19 pm
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
Climate is a big reason for us it will allow us to pursuit more outdoor activites like boating, diving, swimming etc etc

Financially we will be able to afford a great house with no mortgage.

Slower pace of life. We aim to work less and play more.

Children. Growing up as a child out there seems to give you more of a chance to get outside and have fun!

Get out of the rat race. Pressure of both of us working etc are too much. We may earn more money here, but we have to spend it on expensive holidays to get away from the doom and gloom.

Adventure. Because we can. I don't want to stay in the same area and job for the next x years of my life. Get out and live a little.
Have you been looking at my reasons for going to oz book??
With the exception of the children bit (ours are older but still need fun) we feel just the same
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:30 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Once was back packer

Originally posted by Julie Martin
I was just wondering what peoples various reasons for emmigrating were. I back packed round Oz for a year in 99-2000 and loved it. I can rembember getting the flight home thinking I really dont want to leave. I must admit most of my time in Oz was spent boozing, sunbathing and generally having a good time but I did work, at one point i packed bloody bananas which was an experience. Anyway we, that is me, my partner and our two year old are hoping to emmigrate. When i tell people how much i loved it there and really want to go back they just say well you were on holiday werent you it will be different if you live there. I know there are no guarantees but i think at least ive tasted the aussie way of life and seen a bit of the country, not just the inside of the pubs i may add. MY partner has also been there twice and has relatives in sydney. I really would like to hear peoples reasons for going.

cheers

julie
Same here. I backpacked for a year, worked on a mine, 3 banana farms, a shipbuilders and a burger bar. Loved it.

Living here with a family and working 9 to 5 (well, 8 to 4.30) is very different. I love it though, but very different.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:58 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I must admit most of my time in Oz was spent boozing, sunbathing and generally having a good time cheers

julie
Hey, I thought this was why everyone came over here!!???
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:29 am
Badge

Tina's got it in one.

As for the working holiday people can acuse you of being a dreamer etc but they're not all holdays. I spent more time being with australians and living like an australian than I did being a working holiday maker.

badge

Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:39 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

my main reasons for going?

1. it's not doncaster, and the UK
2. because i can, while i can!
3. and why not?

i know what you're going to say, but it's a lot easier for me. I'm only 30, i'm still young with plenty of time (does that sound convincing?), I'm single and with no dependants. if it all goes tits up, it's just another year i've spent trying something different. If i don't try now, i could be settled down with with mrs right, (or wrong again ) children and a lot more to loose in a year or two's time.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by CROSSY
Have you been looking at my reasons for going to oz book??
With the exception of the children bit (ours are older but still need fun) we feel just the same

Great minds think alike as they say!!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:50 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

same reasons as scutterUK

also was there before on WHV .Did more work than holiday (08:30-16:30)jobs.Experienced the reality of living there(paramatta for 8 months /Eastern subs 2 months)getting up and going to work mon-fri ,paying rent on unit ,basically doing everything that i do here.Found it a lot more pleasant there and went back on hols twice.Couldnt get it out of my system so have decided rather than spending a fortune on holidays every couple of years to try and move there and see how it goes!!!!

am single so thats a huge help and guess makes it a whole easier in many ways (but can also be more lonely )
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:18 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

cheers

julie
Hey Julie,

I spent the same year in Oz! Oct 1999 to Oct 2000. It's one of the reasons I'm emigrating. I met my aussie boyfriend out there on my 4th day. I've been to Oz a few times - going again on THursday in fact. We've been back in the UK for 3 years and hope to emigrate on de facto next July.

There are so many reasons I want to live there. I first went to Oz in 1996 when I was 18, fell in love with the place before I'd even left the airport. Hence the year over there. And now the plans to emigrate.

My reasons are basic: I'm happier and healthier over there in pretty much every single way. My partner's an aussie - one of us will have to live away from our home countries and we would much rather live in Oz than miserable old Blighty!

Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:20 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Tina's got it in one.

As for the working holiday people can acuse you of being a dreamer etc but they're not all holdays. I spent more time being with australians and living like an australian than I did being a working holiday maker.

badge
Ditto. I was even granted the title of 'local' in Nundle. And I worked my backside off developing muscles that just won't go away even now, 3 years on.