Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retraining as a Paramedic in OZ ??

Retraining as a Paramedic in OZ ??

Old May 24th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

brindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant future
Default Retraining as a Paramedic in OZ ??

My hubby is considering retraining as a Paramedic.
Is it more advisable to do this in the UK or could it be done at a Univeristy in OZ? and would there be fees to be paid?
Old May 25th 2010, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retraining as a Paramedic in OZ ??

Here is a link to the info for QLD. Have no idea about other states though.
http://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/recr...ry_student.asp
Old May 29th 2010, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Oz Dreaming is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Retraining as a Paramedic in OZ ??

Hi Brindy,

My girlfriend is a British Paramedic in Queensland Ambulance Service.

Firstly not to put your husband off being a paramedic as i am sure he will enjoy the challenge but every paramedic i know either in the UK or here in queensland has a bad back. The chiroprator my girlfriend gos to sees about 7 other paramedics that we know of and they are all under 35. I couldnt believe it even ones that have only been in the service 2 yrs.

Anyway to answer your question.

If you already have an australian visa i think your best bet is to come over and get the training.

In QAS you can become a paramedic in 2 ways,

1 do the degree where you go to university (i think QUT) and then go out on the road a few weeks of the yr. You dont get paid for this and have to pay your univeristy fees (although you can delay payment until you are working ).

The second is you get employed by QAS and do the diploma course. This way you are working for QAS , working shifts etc and get paid from day 1. You also do not have to pay the fees for this. From the people we have met from QAS you find the older "students" do the diploma as they cannot afford to have 3 yrs without working where as the 18-19yrolds go to uni.

If you do the degree in the UK then that is 3 yrs before you qualify then you will need another few years experience before a service in australia will take you. Potentially you are talking 5 yrs before you come out to australia.