Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High-powered (performance) vehicle restrictions Queensland

High-powered (performance) vehicle restrictions Queensland

Old May 28th 2010, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default High-powered (performance) vehicle restrictions Queensland

If my daughter is going to learn to drive when we get to Oz, does it mean I have to buy a stupid little car for her or can she learn to drive one of ours with an exemption? see below.

The reason being is that we need to buy car when we arrive and I'm most probably shipping one over as well, but if she's not allowed to learn in anything over 1150cc then it will restrict what car we can buy when we arrive.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...e_restriction/

Exemptions
You are eligible to apply for an exemption to drive a high powered (performance) vehicle if:
  • you need to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle:
    • to, or from, your place of employment
    • in the course of your employment
    • to, or from, the education institution you attend
    • to get medical treatment for yourself or a family member
or
  • the only car available to you is a high-powered (performance) vehicle:
    • that you owned before 30 June 2007 and you have owned since, including the date you apply for the exemption
    • that is owned or leased by a member of your immediate family†, or
    • that an immediate family member† uses as part of an employment or salary package agreement
and
  • there is no other transport available to you
and
  • not issuing an exemption will cause severe hardship.
Your traffic history will also be taken into consideration when your application is assessed.
† An immediate family member includes your:
  • approved carer or guardian
  • grandparent, or spouse of a grandparent
  • spouse
  • parent or step-parent.
Note: A spouse includes a de facto partner.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:17 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High-powered (performance) vehicle restrictions Queensland

The 1150 is for rotary engines !! 200KW is a fairly large car

High powered (performance) vehicles include those with:

* eight or more cylinders
* a turbo-charged or super-charged engine that is not diesel powered
* an engine that has a power output of more than 200 kW as per the manufacturer's specifications
* a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications
* a modified engine that must be approved under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999, section 30.
Old May 29th 2010, 2:10 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
If my daughter is going to learn to drive when we get to Oz, does it mean I have to buy a stupid little car for her or can she learn to drive one of ours with an exemption? ... if she's not allowed to learn in anything over 1150cc then it will restrict what car we can buy when we arrive.
If you are only worried about what car she can learn in, you don't have to worry. You can learn in any car. The restrictions are for holders of Probationary Licences (people who have passed their test less than 1/2 years ago) not for holders of Learner Licences.

But if your question is whether she can drive the car once she has passed - then yes, she would not be allowed to drive a turbo/high performance car on her Ps. Also, "severe hardship" is not the same as "inconvenience"...
Old May 29th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
If my daughter is going to learn to drive when we get to Oz, does it mean I have to buy a stupid little car for her or can she learn to drive one of ours with an exemption? see below.

The reason being is that we need to buy car when we arrive and I'm most probably shipping one over as well, but if she's not allowed to learn in anything over 1150cc then it will restrict what car we can buy when we arrive.
You see almost no cars under 1150cc here, the average seems to be about 3.0L, saw a learner in a Land Rover Disco today.

Are you sure about shipping a car over, we looked at it for one of ours (Land Rover and BMW) and despite them being hugely more expensive over here it turned out not to be worth it once we did all the figures, the final nail in the coffin was that an "imported" BMW is almost impossible to sell on, and for a much lower price than an "Australian" BMW. It does rankle that I've sold my Land Rover and will be getting a Nissan or Toyota to replace it, and as for the beemer
Old May 29th 2010, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
If you are only worried about what car she can learn in, you don't have to worry. You can learn in any car. The restrictions are for holders of Probationary Licences (people who have passed their test less than 1/2 years ago) not for holders of Learner Licences.

But if your question is whether she can drive the car once she has passed - then yes, she would not be allowed to drive a turbo/high performance car on her Ps. Also, "severe hardship" is not the same as "inconvenience"...
Ok that makes a lot of sense. So I need not worry really.

Originally Posted by freebo
You see almost no cars under 1150cc here, the average seems to be about 3.0L, saw a learner in a Land Rover Disco today.

Are you sure about shipping a car over, we looked at it for one of ours (Land Rover and BMW) and despite them being hugely more expensive over here it turned out not to be worth it once we did all the figures, the final nail in the coffin was that an "imported" BMW is almost impossible to sell on, and for a much lower price than an "Australian" BMW. It does rankle that I've sold my Land Rover and will be getting a Nissan or Toyota to replace it, and as for the beemer
Yeah I'm still thinking about it. It will save us about $6k which is quite a bit. I plan to drive for a long time.