Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retraining for a new career

Retraining for a new career

Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:12 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retraining for a new career

If I was to train for a new career when I arrive in Cairns/Brisbane (still undecided, bit of a family conflict about that) what would you reccommend.

For all of you already there when you look in the job section of your paper whats the job they are always advertising.I'm not really bothered what I do I have done most things, but I do want someone that is relatively quick to train in, and pays a decent wage (dont expect the moon, but that will contribute to hubbies wage)

Please bear in mind I am 39 (so no lap dancing) I have 2 high school age boys.

Any ideas would be great looked at Qld TAFE and some great courses just would like to know what area of work has most opportunties to secure a job.

Hope that makes sense

Any help would be great

Thanks

Kaye
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retraining for a new career

Originally Posted by wardy2
If I was to train for a new career when I arrive in Cairns/Brisbane (still undecided, bit of a family conflict about that) what would you reccommend.

Any ideas would be great looked at Qld TAFE and some great courses just would like to know what area of work has most opportunties to secure a job.

Hope that makes sense

Any help would be great

Thanks

Kaye
I would recommend you give real estate a go if you get the opportunity.

The hours are flexible so you can work around your family.

Down-side is you will need to take a lot of Panadol .........and you will have to work unsociable hours. You will meet some not so nice people but generally they are few and for between. Don't worry about the few bad 'uns you meet, because you will come across loads of really nice people in the process of you becoming a realtor.

Wages are intermittent; some months you will earn absolutely zilch........ other months you will earn a fortune. But, if you can take the rough with the smooth ............ it's a very enjoyable profession.

You should earn a lot of money; but more importantly you will get a buzz out of helping others realise their dreams......... and accordingly you will make a lot of long time friends........... who want you to help out their family too in the same way you helped them.

I'm glad now I couldn't get what my wife calls a 'proper job'; otherwise we wouldn't be in real estate!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:02 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bobcat.

Great minds think alike I had thought about doing this aswell does it take long to train., and do you know approximately the costs for taking the training.

Looks like we will be going to Cairns fingers crossed and with the way things are expanding there this could be a good option.

Thanks for the reply

kaye
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

What kind of things are you interested in, do you have any hobbies you could turn into a career?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:15 pm
aka DORIS

Hi Laura

Haven't got any hobbies really, kids take up too much time they are really sporty and have to travel a lot for competitions (swimming) and football matches.

I did used to run a swimming shop on a voluntary basis but I dont want to pursue that.

I fancy a change I was a residential project worker over 20 years ago I have a degree in social policy but dont want to go down that line anymore.

I am picky I know.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
Hi Bobcat.

Great minds think alike I had thought about doing this aswell does it take long to train., and do you know approximately the costs for taking the training.

Looks like we will be going to Cairns fingers crossed and with the way things are expanding there this could be a good option.

Thanks for the reply

kaye
Hi Kaye

In Perth you have to be sponsored by a Real Estate Agent prior to commencement of training.

The course consists of 4 weeks of class work, followed by 1 week on the job practical training or hands on work experience in the office who sponsored you. Alternatively it can be done by correspondence but that is a long drawn out process.

Cost involved is roughly AUS$1,200-00 inclusive of all course material, police clearance certificate, your real estate salesperson's licence, and REBA registration. The course has to be paid for with a cheque drawn from your sponsoring Agency's account; you simply give that Agency the money up front.

You will need back-up re money in the bank because it will be several months before you earn anything as we only get paid on Settlement of properties sold.

Each State has different rules and regulations so I'm not too sure how things operate over in Cairns? Shan't imagine they are too dissimilar.

I had no sales experience whatsoever before so it was a brand new learning curve. I've been doing it for 10 years straight now and have no regrets whatsoever. We now run our own Agency from home which makes it better.

Good luck
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:42 am
aka DORIS

Thanks for that, had a look on Harcourts estate agents website apparently they have some kind of academy. I remember when I was in brisbane last year I saw an advert which said train to be a real estate agent, so must be fairly straightforward (hopefully)

Thanks

kaye
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

i have been thinking the exact same thing... i am moving (subject to visa app!!) to Melbourne November this year and was wondering what i could do! I didnt just want to sit in an office, and this thread has deffinately given me something to think about!!!

I am really interested and any info of good companies in Melbourne would be very appreciated...??

Thanks for the idea!

LH
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:41 pm
aka DORIS

Judging what I saw when we were in Brisbane last year if you can think of it you can train to do it so much more opportunities than here. I seem to have been written off here because I took the last 4years out to go to Uni and look after the kids.

Good luck

kaye