Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retirement/aged parent visa

Retirement/aged parent visa

Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Sizeyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement/aged parent visa

Has anyone any info on the following. we want to retire to Oz on a retirement visa which I believe is for 6 years, renewable for 2 years at a time while still in the country, when we are old enough in 3 years time to qualify as aged parents, our daughter who has recently moved to Queensland on a spouse visa would sponsor us. Is it possible to do this or could our initial retirement visa prejudice us staying permanenly as aged parents. Also any idea of the cost of the variouse medical bonds we have to put in place for either visas and time scales etc.

Last edited by Sizeyuk; Jan 21st 2005 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement/aged parent visa

Originally Posted by Sizeyuk
Has anyone any info on the following. we want to retire to Oz on a retirement visa which I believe is for 6 years, renewable for 2 years at a time while still in the country, when we are old enough in 3 years time to qualify as aged parents, our daughter who has recently moved to Queensland on a spouse visa would sponsor us. Is it possible to do this or could our initial retirement visa prejudice us staying permanenly as aged parents. Also any idea of the cost of the variouse medical bonds we have to put in place for either visas and time scales etc.
There isn't a problem in principle with coming on a retirement visa and switching to a parent visa onshore, but your post suggests you are unclear on a lot of the finer details of how to go about it and the options available. Some good professional advice would probably add a lot of value.

Also a retirement visa does not automatically entitle you to a parent visa, they are different visas with different rules. Your daughter cannot sponsor unless/until she has her permanent residence, and for a contributory parent visa has a significant assurance of support involved.

Jeremy
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Sizeyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
There isn't a problem in principle with coming on a retirement visa and switching to a parent visa onshore, but your post suggests you are unclear on a lot of the finer details of how to go about it and the options available. Some good professional advice would probably add a lot of value.

Also a retirement visa does not automatically entitle you to a parent visa, they are different visas with different rules. Your daughter cannot sponsor unless/until she has her permanent residence, and for a contributory parent visa has a significant assurance of support involved.

Jeremy
Thanks for the info, I have logged on to another part of this site that I hope gives the professional info I need.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 5:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sizeyuk
Thanks for the info, I have logged on to another part of this site that I hope gives the professional info I need.

No part of this site gives 'professional' information.

Jeremy