Reload this Page >

resume for sustralian jobs market

resume for sustralian jobs market

Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Cenedra42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default resume for sustralian jobs market

hi

I approached a couple of agencies with my husbands CV (he's hoping to qualify as an ICT business consultant) and they said his cv needs to be looked at professionally as it didn't give them enough of an idea what he can do. I've noticed on another thread that someone recommended 9de-pomming' your cv.

Can anyone give me any tips on how cv's should read in australian terms, or recommend a firm there that can look it over?

thanks

Tina :-)
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: resume for sustralian jobs market

Originally Posted by Cenedra42
hi

I approached a couple of agencies with my husbands CV (he's hoping to qualify as an ICT business consultant) and they said his cv needs to be looked at professionally as it didn't give them enough of an idea what he can do. I've noticed on another thread that someone recommended 9de-pomming' your cv.

Can anyone give me any tips on how cv's should read in australian terms, or recommend a firm there that can look it over?

thanks

Tina :-)
Same as UK CV.
A CV is a CV.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I just added a bit more detail, Australia doesn't seem to have the "much more than 2 pages and we won't read it" approach. So far I've had interviews for about 90% of jobs applied for so I guess it's OK.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:19 am
Just Joined

thanks spotty, the agency basically told me that they didn't know what my husband could actually do which i found surprising as I thought it was pretty clear!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

The only thing I changed on mine, was the file name on the computer from CV to Resume. Oh, and obviously address.

Seriously, I showed my CV to a few agencies in Adelaide, and they said it was fine.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:38 am
Just Joined

I know I'm being a bit cheeky and please feel free to say no! But if either of you would be prepared to show me a copy of your cv's (minus any personal info of course) I would be really really grateful, however I fully understand if you say no!

cheers
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm being a bit cheeky and please feel free to say no! But if either of you would be prepared to show me a copy of your cv's (minus any personal info of course) I would be really really grateful, however I fully understand if you say no!

cheers
There are dozens of threads on this topic. Why not do a search?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah search should be first port of call

Then check for spelling mistakes as you have obviously done in your posts ;-)

Is his job title clear at top of the page. That and a little paragraph with bullet points saying what he does

If thats all clear then they're probably just fobbing you off
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Possibly not - they're quite big on "achievements" - "competencies" "personal statements" and the like on page one - whereas a UK CV would have qualifications up there.

There's a few sectors out here that don't have the same qualification bars as the UK - so you might feel that you're sometimes asked to state the bleedin' obvious.

Look at the job sites like seek.com or mycareer for sample resumes. I've used their templates with good results.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phlanger
whereas a UK CV would have qualifications up there.
Not necessarily. Many UK CV's have qualifications last.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

My hint, make sure Australia is spelled correctly.

Seriously, as all of the experience will be overseas, make sure you state clearly which visa you hold, both on the cover letter and on the resume, other than that no changes are needed.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Phlanger
Possibly not - they're quite big on "achievements" - "competencies" "personal statements" and the like on page one - whereas a UK CV would have qualifications up there.

There's a few sectors out here that don't have the same qualification bars as the UK - so you might feel that you're sometimes asked to state the bleedin' obvious.

Look at the job sites like seek.com or mycareer for sample resumes. I've used their templates with good results.
I don't have these sorts of things on my CV

I start with the usual personal details, then my professional qualifications, then work history and lastly academic qualifications. In my covering letter I clearly state how I match the job requirements and why I feel i would be good for the job.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:27 am
Just Joined

thanks all - I found some useful info on seek and on my career - oopss about the spelling of australia though lol, I wouldn't mind but I have a degree in English :-)
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks all - I found some useful info on seek and on my career - oopss about the spelling of australia though lol, I wouldn't mind but I have a degree in English :-)
Don't forget correct capitalisation...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:23 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Don't forget correct capitalisation...
Uncle Jack would be proud.