Resume help

Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Flames123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Resume help

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Probably because you're overseas.

To add to the great advice already given, personal info such as age, gender, marital status or whether you have children shouldn't be included either. And for the love of God do not include a photo of yourself on your CV/resume.
yes, I agree - I have done of that - but I suppose my name would give away my gender
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Should it have DOB on it or not necessary?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Should it have DOB on it or not necessary?
I have not included my DOB - although the year i graduated and the number of years of experience I have should give a rough indicator of my age bracket!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flames123
I have not included my DOB - although the year i graduated and the number of years of experience I have should give a rough indicator of my age bracket!
Can interviewers ask you your age do you know. If I remove DOB I might be able to knock a couple of years off
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Can interviewers ask you your age do you know. If I remove DOB I might be able to knock a couple of years off
i have no idea!!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

No, interviewers aren't allowed to ask your age unless it's relevant to the job (legally relevant, not just because the boss likes to employ young dolly birds)
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No they don't... Unless it's necessary for the job I guess
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No, interviewers aren't allowed to ask your age unless it's relevant to the job (legally relevant, not just because the boss likes to employ young dolly birds)
Originally Posted by Wendy
No, they don't
Thanks for the replies. Might do that just cos I was a little late starting my apprenticeship
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:00 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
No they don't... Unless it's necessary for the job I guess
Snap

I wanted a female for a position that involved running workshops for young women - the PASH program (Promoting Adolescent Sexual Health). I contacted the Equal Opportunity Commission to see if I could obtain, and cite, an exemption to the Act in the job advertisement. They said that although they understood the reasons for wanting a female for the job, they couldn't give an exemption - instead I'd have to be prepared to provide written evidence to the Commission of my reasons if any complaints were received. Once they received the complaint, and my response, then they'd make a decision regarding whether I (the organisation) had breached the legislation. I fully understand and support equal employment opportunity, but this seemed faintly ridiculous. Why not just say upfront if I could or couldn't advertise for a female?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:41 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Snap

I wanted a female for a position that involved running workshops for young women - the PASH program (Promoting Adolescent Sexual Health). I contacted the Equal Opportunity Commission to see if I could obtain, and cite, an exemption to the Act in the job advertisement. They said that although they understood the reasons for wanting a female for the job, they couldn't give an exemption - instead I'd have to be prepared to provide written evidence to the Commission of my reasons if any complaints were received. Once they received the complaint, and my response, then they'd make a decision regarding whether I (the organisation) had breached the legislation. I fully understand and support equal employment opportunity, but this seemed faintly ridiculous. Why not just say upfront if I could or couldn't advertise for a female?
I think that each application is determined on a case by case basis and as such, they cannot give anyone a generic yes/no answer.

"3 What criteria does the Commission apply in deciding whether to grant an exemption?

In deciding whether to grant an exemption, the Commission will consider all of the relevant circumstances and apply the following criteria:

(a) Is an exemption necessary?

For an exemption to be necessary there must be at least an arguable case that the activities that are the subject of the application constitute discrimination contrary to the Sex Discrimination Act.

The Commission will consider matters including:
•Whether the circumstances are covered by the Sex Discrimination Act (see section 9);
•Whether any of the permanent exemptions to the Sex Discrimination Act apply (see sections 30-43); and
•Whether the circumstances can be brought within the ‘special measures’ provision of the Sex Discrimination Act (see sections 7D).

(b) Is granting an exemption consistent with the objects of the Sex Discrimination Act?

The Commission must consider the objects of Sex Age Discrimination Act, set out in section 3. In broad terms, these objects are to:
•Give effect to the object and spirit of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women;
•Eliminate, as far as possible, discrimination against persons on the ground of sex, marital status, pregnancy, potential pregnancy or family responsibilities, including discrimination involving sexual harassment; and
•Promote recognition and acceptance within the community of the principle of the equality of men and women.

If an exemption is sought that would allow conduct that is inconsistent with, or would undermine, the objects of the Sex Discrimination Act, this will be a significant reason not to grant an exemption.

In considering this issue, the Commission will have regard to:
•The reasonableness of the exemption sought – the Commission will weigh up the nature and extent of the discriminatory effect against the reasons advanced in favour of an exemption;
•Whether the circumstances, while not falling precisely within any of the permanent exemptions to the Sex Discrimination Act, bear a close resemblance to any of those exemptions so as to be within the spirit or broad scheme of those exemptions; and
•Whether an exemption could be granted subject to terms and conditions which further the objects of the Sex Discrimination Act (see below).

Where an exemption is sought for reasons wholly unrelated to the objects of the Sex Discrimination Act (such as to gain commercial advantage), this may be a factor weighing against the grant of an exemption.

(c) Is it appropriate to grant an exemption subject to terms and conditions?

The Commission will consider whether it is appropriate to make an exemption subject to terms and conditions or to limit the application of an exemption to particular circumstances or activities.

In particular, the Commission will consider whether an exemption could be granted subject to terms and conditions which require action to be taken by the applicant during the term of the application that will:
•Reduce or remove the discriminatory practice or circumstance; and/or
•Further the objects of the Sex Discrimination Act.

The Commission can only grant an exemption for a limited period (up to a maximum of five years).

(d) What are the views of persons or organisations who are interested in or who may be affected by the outcome of an application?

The Commission will consider submissions from interested parties.

4 How does the Commission process exemptions?

The Commission can only grant an exemption when it has received an application seeking an exemption.

The Commission will seek to give interested parties an opportunity to participate in decisions regarding applications for exemption.

The process for deciding applications for exemptions will depend on the circumstances.

The Commission may take any of the following actions in deciding whether to grant an exemption:
1.Publish the application on the Commission’s website with a call for public comments;
2.Seek further information from the Applicant;
3.Invite persons who may be affected by the Commission’s decision to make written submissions commenting on the application;
4.Hold discussions with the Applicant and any other interested parties to negotiate the terms and conditions on which an exemption is granted; and
5.Make proposed decisions on applications available to interested parties for comment before the Commission makes a final decision.

State and Territory Anti-Discrimination Boards and Equal Opportunity Commissions will also be notified that a temporary exemption application has been made and invited to comment on the application.

In reaching its decision, the Commission will seek the recommendation of the Sex Discrimination Commissioner."

The Sex Discrimination Act requires publication in the Commonwealth Government Gazette, within one month after a decision on an exemption application, of a notice:
•Setting out the Commission's findings on the relevant facts;
•Referring to the evidence on which those findings were based; and
•Giving the reasons for the making of the decision.

http://www.humanrights.gov.au/tempor...ination-act#s3