Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth? Arrive before or after christmas?

Perth? Arrive before or after christmas?

Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Katarina222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth? Arrive before or after christmas?

Ive been given an initial entry date of Dec 7th for my De Facto visa. Our plan was to fly out around the 1st Dec.
However been thinking that maybe December is not ideal as we would be looking for jobs and rental just as Xmas kicks in, would it be better for us to wait until end of January??
Only problem with that it that I would have to fly out in the meantime to activate my visa, but I would prefer to do that than be sitting around for a month while Perth shuts down.
Any advice??
Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth? Arrive before or after christmas?

Personally I'd be waiting until after everyone has recovered from their summer holidays so end Jan would probably be about right.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katarina222
Ive been given an initial entry date of Dec 7th for my De Facto visa. Our plan was to fly out around the 1st Dec.
However been thinking that maybe December is not ideal as we would be looking for jobs and rental just as Xmas kicks in, would it be better for us to wait until end of January??
Only problem with that it that I would have to fly out in the meantime to activate my visa, but I would prefer to do that than be sitting around for a month while Perth shuts down.
Any advice??
Real estate offices will be 'business as usual' for renting up to the week before Christmas. Job adverts plummet at that time of the year, so if you don't have funds to tide you over comfortably then the end of January's probably a better bet. Good luck with your move over and welcome to Perth
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Also if anyone can recommend any short term rental companies that would be great too
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:53 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Real estate offices will be 'business as usual' for renting up to the week before Christmas. Job adverts plummet at that time of the year, so if you don't have funds to tide you over comfortably then the end of January's probably a better bet. Good luck with your move over and welcome to Perth
To the op, to be honest, you're going to need enough money to tide you over for a few months at least. If you are thinking of a an activation visit, I'd be inclined to put the cash towards that pot and get out there as soon as. Not only does that give you time to sort the many things that need sorting, it allows you to get your feet under the table and understand how things work. Nothing says you can't put in some applications from the UK just before you go (and before they shut down for Christmas).

It also gives you a bit of acclimatisation time - it'll be a shock to the system.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice??
Move there sooner?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice??
Why are you waiting until December? This is June, and your visa has been granted, so why not move now?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Any advice??
Whether you move in December or January make sure you get a place with air con as this this the hottest time of the year. Temperatures can be in the high 30s and low 40s for several days at a time.

It can be unbearable. But the one good thing about the climate in Perth is there is no humidity. The heat is very dry.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Well, we didnt expect to hear so soon, so kinda budgeted handing in notice, renting out house and moving out there in Jan 14, but the arrival date has fallen short a month so were just weighing up our options.