Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Resident Return Visa

Resident Return Visa

Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident Return Visa

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I totally agree. Once we have been here long enough to get citizenship we will, and if that meant we had to give up our British citizenship fair enough. Although I am glad that we can have both so we don't need to get visas for visiting the UK, and any children we have could have the choice to work and live in the UK/Europe.
So in other words it gives you choices which you wouldn't otherwise have. One reason I'd be very reluctant to give up UK citizenship.

Must say I thought that was a strange thing for Jeremy in particular to have said given that a goodly proportion of his posts about eg people moving to Oz from a country in which they are temporarily urges them to get residency or citizenship in that country before they move.....
Old Dec 14th 2008, 5:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
So in other words it gives you choices which you wouldn't otherwise have. One reason I'd be very reluctant to give up UK citizenship.

Must say I thought that was a strange thing for Jeremy in particular to have said given that a goodly proportion of his posts about eg people moving to Oz from a country in which they are temporarily urges them to get residency or citizenship in that country before they move.....
If you can have dual - assuming both countries are those which you would want to be a citizen of - then it opens up options.

But even those with dual citizenship typically have to set up "home" somewhere, and if you can't have dual citizenship, then if you are planning to live the rest of your life somewhere it usually makes sense to be a citizen in that place. Of course there are exceptions, such as if your home is in a less developed or less democratic nation.

It's a different situation if you plan to retire back to your original home country, or otherwise spend significant periods of time there.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by louie
I do agree with JAJ on that; if I had got citizenship before I had left Australia, I wouldn't have had the problems that I did have, when I came back.