Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Resident Return Visa

Resident Return Visa

Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Resident Return Visa

For anyone who does not wish to take up citizenship and wishes to remain PR, getting a RRV is a necessity when your initial PR time period runs out (5 years?)

BUT the good news is that it is a very straightforward process. A very quick, painless online form to fill in and $240 (ouch).
We applied online last Friday and we received e-mail notification today that it was granted.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:46 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident Return Visa

I've never understood why someone would choose not to take out citizenship if it was available and didn't cause them to lose their citizenship from their home country. There are quite a few additional benefits and few additional obligations (assuming a major war isn't likely)
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:24 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

And it's only $240 per ten years (passport) rather then every 5 years.

And you can commit murder and not be deported... not that this should be a consideration!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
and didn't cause them to lose their citizenship from their home country.
..this was the reason.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:40 am
ABCDiamond

I've never understood why someone would choose not to take out citizenship if it was available and didn't cause them to lose their citizenship from their home country. There are quite a few additional benefits and few additional obligations (assuming a major war isn't likely)
You'd have to Vote !!!

Don't have to as a PR

Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:06 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
..this was the reason.
Fair enough, I would do the same if getting Aus Citizenship meant I lost UK citizenship
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, I would do the same if getting Aus Citizenship meant I lost UK citizenship
I have some trouble understanding why someone would want to make their permanent home in Australia and at the same time be overly concerned about keeping the citizenship of a foreign country. Especially for the long term.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:30 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by JAJ
I have some trouble understanding why someone would want to make their permanent home in Australia and at the same time be overly concerned about keeping the citizenship of a foreign country. Especially for the long term.
Family and choice. If it was the case that gaining Australian citizenship meant I lost UK citizenship then instead I could be PR on RRV and have the best of both worlds; ability to legally live in UK (and much of Europe) and a very low risk of not being able to stay in Australia for the long term (assuming I didn't murder anyone).
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Family and choice. If it was the case that gaining Australian citizenship meant I lost UK citizenship then instead I could be PR on RRV and have the best of both worlds; ability to legally live in UK (and much of Europe) and a very low risk of not being able to stay in Australia for the long term (assuming I didn't murder anyone).
As long as you then accepted that if you took up the option of returning to live long term outside Australia, your ability to come back to Australia could easily be removed.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
This to me, smacks of the very parochial nature which gives Australia a bad name.

I cannot see any problem at all in someone spending most their working life in Australia, contributing fully to Australian society, paying taxes, their children becoming fully immersed in Australia but then retiring to Asia.
And in some countries foreign ownership of property remains difficult and so why give up the opportunity to own property and retire to Asia?

I suspect that the people who would argue that you shouldn't become a citizen unless you fully intend to take on the full package would be the very same ones who would ask why a person could stay in Australia as a PR when they clearly have cultural links elsewhere.

There's more to life - and the world - than Australia.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
As long as you then accepted that if you took up the option of returning to live long term outside Australia, your ability to come back to Australia could easily be removed.
And beyond the theory, the likelihood of that happening based on empirical data...?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

This to me, smacks of the very parochial nature which gives Australia a bad name.

I cannot see any problem at all in someone spending most their working life in Australia, contributing fully to Australian society, paying taxes, their children becoming fully immersed in Australia but then retiring to Asia.
And in some countries foreign ownership of property remains difficult and so why give up the opportunity to own property and retire to Asia?
I did refer to people intending to remain permanently in Australia. Not those who ultimately intend to move elsewhere.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:51 am
JAJ
Retired

And beyond the theory, the likelihood of that happening based on empirical data...?
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/968i.pdf

And the rules can change.

Likelihood? There are literally thousands of British people in this position (former residents), stuck permanently outside Australia. We see a few on this forum, occasionally, wondering if they can get a resident return or former resident visa.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:54 am
ABCDiamond

I suspect that the people who would argue that you shouldn't become a citizen unless you fully intend to take on the full package would be the very same ones who would ask why a person could stay in Australia as a PR when they clearly have cultural links elsewhere.

There's more to life - and the world - than Australia.
It is good then that Australia does not force anyone to give up Citizenship, like some other countries do.

Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:18 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is good then that Australia does not force anyone to give up Citizenship, like some other countries do.
I don't believe they can. They have no jurisdiction over entitlement to, say, UK subjectship, or anybody elses.
The UK could however say if you choose to become an Australian citizen then you forfeit your UK one, much as USA did and, I believe Australia do/did.

So in fact its the converse. If an Australian chooses to take say, US citizenship, I think they forfeit Australian citizenship which is determined by Australia, not USA.

But either way its good we can be multinational as I know others can't.

Update
Australia has recinded it loss of citizenship
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/loss/index.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.