Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Residency question

Residency question

Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:13 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about
Default Residency question

Just a quick question. Does anyone know what the status would be of a baby born outside of Australia to parents that are Australian permanent residents (visas already activated)? Does the baby automatically gain permanant residency or citizenship?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:18 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency question

Originally posted by mjj
Just a quick question. Does anyone know what the status would be of a baby born outside of Australia to parents that are Australian permanent residents (visas already activated)? Does the baby automatically gain permanant residency or citizenship?
Do a search on the immigration forum for posts by JAJ. He has answered this one a few times recently.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mjj
I'm in same boat we have PR (already validated and lived there 18 months) but baby born in UK in March - JAJ answered with this for me recently;
"The baby doesn't have a PR visa as of now. If you wanted to go back to Australia you would need to apply for a Dependent Child visa for the child. This would need to be done at the AHC London.

You do not need to be 'usually resident' in Australia to sponsor for Dependent Child - being the holder of a valid PR visa is enough"
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:00 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I'm in same boat we have PR (already validated and lived there 18 months) but baby born in UK in March - JAJ answered with this for me recently;
"The baby doesn't have a PR visa as of now. If you wanted to go back to Australia you would need to apply for a Dependent Child visa for the child. This would need to be done at the AHC London.

You do not need to be 'usually resident' in Australia to sponsor for Dependent Child - being the holder of a valid PR visa is enough"
Dam I didn't want to hear that! What kind of hassle and wait is involved in sponsoring a dependent child? Surely not another 15 month wait!!!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mjj
Dam I didn't want to hear that! What kind of hassle and wait is involved in sponsoring a dependent child? Surely not another 15 month wait!!!

I'm constantly amazed by people who have children born outside Australia (assuming this is the case here) and only afterwards start asking about what their visa/citizenship status is.

Child visas have a high processing priority, and you're probably looking at a wait of a few months - nothing is ever guaranteed however.

If a child is born to a PR *inside* Australia it has Australian citizenship automatically, no need for visas or anything other than an Aus passport.

Jeremy
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JAJ
I'm constantly amazed by people who have children born outside Australia (assuming this is the case here) and only afterwards start asking about what their visa/citizenship status is.
hmm, can't speak for anyone but myslef but the visa status of the baby wasn't of any importance to us when we came back to UK. I always knew it wouldn't be a citizen...but at the same time wasn't sure what its residency status - if any - would be as a dependant child to PR parents. It's merely useful info to know for future planning