Reload this Page >

My experience on Job search

My experience on Job search

Old Jul 28th 2004, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

rajarajaraja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My experience on Job search

Hi,

Thought I will put down what I faced while looking for a Job in Australia from outside the country. I am Australian PR living in USA and planning to move to Sydney in early September.

I am in IT with 9 years of commercial experience (6 years in the USA). I been applying for Jobs in Australia for the last couple of weeks via the following job search sites

www.seek.com.au
www.jobnet.com.au
www.mycareer.com.au
www.careerone.com.au

Responses are good both from Recruiters and Employers but they want to see me in person for a Interview before they commit anything. Most of them asked me to phone them as soon as I arrive in Australia.

Tip: Having a local Aussie number is of a huge help. I got one by signing for a voicemail service from the following site www.mbox.com.au. By paying AU$8 a month u get a local Australian phone number with a built in answering machine where you can record your own greeting message. Whoever calls that number can leave a message and the message is emailed to you as a .wav attachment. Really cool!!!

Summary: Seems like lots of IT jobs are out there and I am moving to Sydney assuming I will get one in 2 months time. In jobnet.com.au alone there are about 300+ IT jobs advertised daily. I assume the recruiters get lots of application and so do not expect recruiters to respond unless you qualify.

Good luck to all who are leaving soon and do not forget ot post your experience

Cheers

Last edited by rajarajaraja; Jul 28th 2004 at 8:32 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:31 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience on Job search

Originally posted by rajarajaraja
Hint: Having a local Aussie number is of a huge help. I got one by signing for a voicemail service from the following site www.mbox.xom.au. By paying AU$8 a month u get a local Australian phone number with a built in answering machine where you can record your own greeting message. Whoever calls that number can leave a message and the message is emailed to you as a .wav attachment. Really cool!!!
Top tip. I was sitting wondering how I could get an Oz number and you've answered my Q. Ta muchly.
For anybody who may be interested (probably in the wrong forum), you can get a similar thing in the UK from www.yac.com.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:36 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Question: Since you have put an Aussie number on your CV / Resume, did you also put down your US address or leave the address blank?
I've just signed up for an MBOX voice-mail-box. Thanks again for the pointer.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:34 pm
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point

Sent you a PM
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Responses are good both from Recruiters and Employers but they want to see me in person for a Interview before they commit anything. Most of them asked me to phone them as soon as I arrive in Australia.

Tip: Having a local Aussie number is of a huge help. I got one by signing for a voicemail service from the following site www.mbox.com.au. By paying AU$8 a month u get a local Australian phone number with a built in answering machine where you can record your own greeting message. Whoever calls that number can leave a message and the message is emailed to you as a .wav attachment. Really cool!!!

Cheers
Your experiences match mine, which is good to know. Though I did get one recruiter interested enough to want to meet me 2 days after I arrive.

Many thanks for the MBOX tip! That one is great!

Mike
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

rajarajaraja is an unknown quantity at this point

I removed the US address completely from my CV as it seemed weird having a US address with a local telephone number.

Don't be surprised with the puzzled response from recruiters

Good luck

Originally posted by wmoore
Question: Since you have put an Aussie number on your CV / Resume, did you also put down your US address or leave the address blank?
I've just signed up for an MBOX voice-mail-box. Thanks again for the pointer.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

I removed the US address completely from my CV as it seemed weird having a US address with a local telephone number.

Don't be surprised with the puzzled response from recruiters

Good luck
Personally, I left the US address and phone on my resume, but added a cover letter explaining my situation, timeline for the move and Australian contact info.

Cheers
Mike