Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Residency or Citzenship

Residency or Citzenship

Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Residency or Citzenship

I did my citizenship test today. i am now on the way to becoming an aussie. But I am only doing this as I don't have to give up my Irish passport or citizenship. I will still have my irish passport for travelling around Europe. This is the best gift that i could give my Children.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abertawe
Does anyone know what the ratio is between those who continue with having residency to those who take out citzenship.

For those on this forum, who have the option, have continued with residency and who has taken out citzenship, for example.
For a UK citizen you can have dual nationality so doesn't seem to be a problem.Other countries make you give up their nationality,then it would take some serious thinking.

In the old days travelling on an OZ passport was a problem as you needed a visa before travel.The UK passport could be stamped on arrival so I travelled on a UK p/port.Now the OZ p/port is stamped on arrival so I haven't had a UK p/port since around 96 I think.

Children should also take out nationality too.There have been some cases where they have been brought here young and then deported in their 30s or 40s after a number of crimes.Some of them did not even realise they were not Australian as they had never left the country so never needed a p/port.

Could be a faulty memory but I think there was a jock murdered somebody in Sydney in the 60s.After his 25 years in nick they released him and then deported him to the UK,I think he had dual nationality but that didn't stop them from deporting him.Could be a faulty memory so DIMIA or whatever they are called now would be the people to question...When I came here they stressed that if I was a naughty boy I would be deported,no questions asked.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:40 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
For a UK citizen you can have dual nationality so doesn't seem to be a problem.Other countries make you give up their nationality,then it would take some serious thinking.

In the old days travelling on an OZ passport was a problem as you needed a visa before travel.The UK passport could be stamped on arrival so I travelled on a UK p/port.Now the OZ p/port is stamped on arrival so I haven't had a UK p/port since around 96 I think.

Children should also take out nationality too.There have been some cases where they have been brought here young and then deported in their 30s or 40s after a number of crimes.Some of them did not even realise they were not Australian as they had never left the country so never needed a p/port.

Could be a faulty memory but I think there was a jock murdered somebody in Sydney in the 60s.After his 25 years in nick they released him and then deported him to the UK,I think he had dual nationality but that didn't stop them from deporting him.Could be a faulty memory so DIMIA or whatever they are called now would be the people to question...When I came here they stressed that if I was a naughty boy I would be deported,no questions asked.
You can't deport a citizen of your own country dual nationality or no. You can only revoke someone's PR visa/other visa and deport them.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot empathise how important it is to get citizenship. I was born in the UK but came to Australia when I was 6 I was never made a citizen and returned to the UK when I was 25. 18 years later myself and husband decided we wanted to live back in Australia. It took us 2 years and a lot of money to get my permanent residency back (very hard visa to qualify for). If I had been a citizen we would have only had to get my hubby a spouse visa. We have been back in Australia for just over a year now and will be getting citizenship as soon as we qualify next year.

Sunshine23
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
For a UK citizen you can have dual nationality so doesn't seem to be a problem.Other countries make you give up their nationality, then it would take some serious thinking.
Not always - depends on the country and your personal circumstances. I can't really understand why, if someone has settled in Australia and sees Australia as home, they would want to hang onto the citizenship of their old country which forbids them from becoming Australian.

Could be a faulty memory but I think there was a jock murdered somebody in Sydney in the 60s.After his 25 years in nick they released him and then deported him to the UK,I think he had dual nationality but that didn't stop them from deporting him.
Australian citizens cannot be deported, except for offences committed before becoming an Australian citizen.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not always - depends on the country and your personal circumstances. I can't really understand why, if someone has settled in Australia and sees Australia as home, they would want to hang onto the citizenship of their old country which forbids them from becoming Australian.
Yes it does depend on your personal circumstances. Therefore surely it is easy to understand that some people would want to keep the citizenship of their old country?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leftfield
Yes it does depend on your personal circumstances. Therefore surely it is easy to understand that some people would want to keep the citizenship of their old country?
Maybe some would, although sooner or later it doesn't make sense to continue being a foreigner if your home and identity are in Australia.

This is particularly the case where it is the former country causing the problem, not Australia. Many people from countries like this do not appreciate being told to obtain proof (from DIAC) that they are not Australian citizens before they are allowed to renew their passports.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Ruskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant future

Out of interest, how many of you that opted for citzenship would have done so if it meant that you were compelled to relinquish your British Passport?

I love Australia and I'm proud to live, work and call it home but I'd struggle to give up my purple PP.

The reason I ask is that I have heard rumors that the days of dual nationality may be numbered with individuals expected to choose one or other. This may be a rumor with no basis.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:10 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruskee
Out of interest, how many of you that opted for citzenship would have done so if it meant that you were compelled to relinquish your British Passport?

I love Australia and I'm proud to live, work and call it home but I'd struggle to give up my purple PP.

The reason I ask is that I have heard rumors that the days of dual nationality may be numbered with individuals expected to choose one or other. This may be a rumor with no basis.
I would suggest that rumor is actually an entire work of fiction with no basis whatsoever.

Australia modified its laws only recently to allow dual citizenship and the UK isn't about to retrospectively insist that the millions of people (and I would think tens of millions) with dual citizenship choose or face deportation. The cost alone to the government would be astronomical and the consequences devastating politically not to mention it is perhaps one of the most pointless things to do and achieves nothing.

That said, in this fairy tale scenario I would chuck my UK passport away. If I still had it and it hadn't expired already, which it has. Australia is my home and despite never forgetting where I came from this is where I have ended up and its only right I stand up and be counted for the country I chose to live in.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Maybe some would, although sooner or later it doesn't make sense to continue being a foreigner if your home and identity are in Australia.
Maybe people like to keep their options open?
Old May 1st 2008, 12:40 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Centurion
Australia modified its laws only recently to allow dual citizenship and the UK isn't about to retrospectively insist that the millions of people (and I would think tens of millions) with dual citizenship choose or face deportation.
Bear in mind that many countries do not allow people to renounce or otherwise give up their citizenship, even if they want to (which can cause a range of other problems).
Old May 1st 2008, 3:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yogita_dabasia
Ok, on this subject then, when do you qualify for citizenship from a PR visa? As I knew it, it was 2 years. Is this correct? If it has changed, what is the new period for qualifying? Also, things like claiming social benefits (not that we wish to), but previously it was 2 years (that’s what a lot of the books, IMMI etc point out). Does that mean you can only have these benefits once you have obtained citizenship? So, if there is a new period now, when are these benefits/Medicare type benefits available from? Hope this makes sense
If the PR was granted before 1st July 2007 you require 2 years of permanent residence prior to the citizenship application. Otherwise, you require 4 years of lawful residence (temp, provisional, permanent) of which 1 year must be permanent residence.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:49 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by leftfield
Maybe people like to keep their options open?
Perhaps although options are not as open as they appear to be ... if you leave Australia for too long (as a PR) and don't meet the requirements for a Resident Return Visa, the option to return closes down.

I can understand people deciding to hang on to their original citizenship as a short/medium term option - eg until elderly parents have passed away, or younger siblings have grown up, etc.

But I cannot see why someone settled in Australia for a long period of time, with no real ties overseas, would choose not to be Australian citizens just because their old country forbids them from doing so.