Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Residency or Citzenship

Residency or Citzenship

Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

abertawe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency or Citzenship

Does anyone know what the ratio is between those who continue with having residency to those who take out citzenship.

For those on this forum, who have the option, have continued with residency and who has taken out citzenship, for example.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency or Citzenship

We have permanent residence but will be applying for citizenship just as soon as we become eligible. Australia is our home, so we intend to become Australian.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:38 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Not to take citizenship is foolish imo once you qualify. The law could change in relation to immigration, you can't vote and are restricted in your employment opportunities (government positions etc) and if you were to be convicted of a serious crime (even if it were not your fault such as a car accident) you could be deported.

There is also the fact that were you to run into trouble when on holiday you could ask for Australian embassy assistance. If there were a situation abroad such as ecological disaster or civil unrest I would certainly prefer to be Australian than British as I believe that Australia does more to help as a government with people overseas and in trouble.

Then there is the small matter of having to go to the bother of getting a RRV when you do want to leave the country when your PR visa runs out.

Alternatively apply for citizenship.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:11 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We applied for citizenship as soon as we qualified. We now live back in the UK but we are looking to move back once hubby gets a job offer.

We would have been mad not to get citizenship and I think it is more important once you have kids that are Australian by birth to have the whole family with the same rights.

Jo
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got my test booked and look forward to being a citizen along with the rest of my family. I don't understand people who can but don't. As Centurion said, it doesn't make sense. I can understand if you don't like the place, the people etc but if you're planning on staying, then there's no question.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:35 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

We applied for citizenship as soon as we qualified.

We have friends who have been here for 11 years and have renewed PR visa twice. We can't understand why they did that. It cost us $120 per adult to get citizenship, children under 16 are free. It cost them $120 per adult to renew PR visa each time. They've now spent $240 each and have to renew again in 3 years or apply for citizenship.

I think citizenship application has now risen to $240 per adult, but not sure if PR visa renewal costs more now.

The thing is, if you were on holiday somewhere out of Australia, and something awful happened, would you want to be repatriated to the UK or to Australia. Right now, I'd want to be sent back to Australia.

On saying that, we intend to renew UK passports when they expire. Best of both worlds.

We use Australian passports when leaving and entering Australia and UK passports when entering and leaving UK.

Hope this helps.

M
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

yogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the rough

Ok, on this subject then, when do you qualify for citizenship from a PR visa? As I knew it, it was 2 years. Is this correct? If it has changed, what is the new period for qualifying? Also, things like claiming social benefits (not that we wish to), but previously it was 2 years (that’s what a lot of the books, IMMI etc point out). Does that mean you can only have these benefits once you have obtained citizenship? So, if there is a new period now, when are these benefits/Medicare type benefits available from? Hope this makes sense
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by abertawe
Does anyone know what the ratio is between those who continue with having residency to those who take out citzenship.

For those on this forum, who have the option, have continued with residency and who has taken out citzenship, for example.
We will be applying for citizenship as soon as we can. Australia is our home and a dual citizenship is a gift for our children.

I will be proud to be a citizen of the country we live in and put our energies in to making it a better place for all those that live within it.

Just our decision but if our kids (although british born) are raised here they will in my eyes owe Australia and by taken citizenship it shows how grateful we are that we've had the chance to come here and give back something that has been given to us.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

centerlink payments and medicare are available to PR as soon as you have a tax file number and a permenant address (rental or purchase)
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:02 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisaroo
centerlink payments and medicare are available to PR as soon as you have a tax file number and a permenant address (rental or purchase)
Not true. From the centerlink website :- "In general, social security payments from Centrelink are only available to people who reside in Australia and are either Australian citizens or holders of permanent visas. In addition, most social security payments and concession cards, except Family Tax Benefit and Child Care Benefit, have a two year newly arrived resident's waiting period. There are some exemptions, e.g. refugee and humanitarian visa holders. Some pension payments have their own 'qualifying residence' requirements with some exceptions. Also, some services are only available when receiving a payment from Centrelink."

Medicare, yes you get straightaway but anything other than Family Tax and Child Care you wait 2 years.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:55 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked with a couple of people from Holland and Singapore who who have to give up citizenship of their country of birth to take Aussie citizenship so for them it doesn't make sense to get it. Better have one residency / one citizenship than just the one citizenship, particularly the Dutch guy who can use an EU passport to move easily around Europe on return visits.

On the other hand, I know a few people who went through the same convoluted emigration routine as most of us despite the fact their parents could have got them citizenship many years earlier and given them an easy passage.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I have worked with a couple of people from Holland and Singapore who who have to give up citizenship of their country of birth to take Aussie citizenship so for them it doesn't make sense to get it.
It makes sense for many of them to become Australian anyway, regardless of their original government's attitude. If you are living in Australia and see Australia as home, then why would you want to hold on to the citizenship/passport of a country that doesn't allow you to secure your status in Australia?

Some couples get around this by one partner (usually the husband) becoming Australian, which allows the children to become citizens too, and the other spouse remains a PR + citizen of the home country.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We planned our arrival date last year so we would just sqeeze in on the 2 year rule for citizenship. We are fully committed to making a go of it here so will apply for citizenship as soon as we can. The kids and I will then have both Irish and Aussie passports which is a pretty good combination for future travel - OH will have to make do with UK/Aussie
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I've applied for citizenship not because I feel Australia's home (I do) but because I know that life may take me to other countries however Australia looks like the country with the best retirement spot for me. Therefore while I can I'm making sure I can come back when I want to.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 12:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This may be helpful, although it covers a whole spectrum of migrants, including those who arrived decades ago:
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]?opendocument

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.