Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting - references...

Renting - references...

Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

mattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura about
Default Renting - references...

Hi

We are looking to rent in Sydney, trouble is we are home owners in the UK and have not rented for 10 years so can't supply any landlord references to give any potential landlord for vetting.

Does anyone have any good idea of what we could provide.....I was thinking of a character ref from my UK employer or something ?

Any ideas ?

Matt
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting - references...

Hi Matt

We're in the exact same circumstances. I emailed some agents in the mountains where we're going to live.

They suggested bank statements up to a year from the UK, passport obviously, mortgage statements before you closed your account and possibly a letter of recommendation from the agent you sold through, detailing the condition of your house when you sold it. A character reference would also be great.
Generally, provide anything you can for them, to make it easier for them.
The more the merrier!

Other than that, they didn't have any more suggestions for me.

Good luck!
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:50 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Hi Matt

We're in the exact same circumstances. I emailed some agents in the mountains where we're going to live.

They suggested bank statements up to a year from the UK, passport obviously, mortgage statements before you closed your account and possibly a letter of recommendation from the agent you sold through, detailing the condition of your house when you sold it. A character reference would also be great.
Generally, provide anything you can for them, to make it easier for them.
The more the merrier!

Other than that, they didn't have any more suggestions for me.

Good luck!
Hi

We're moving to Richmond in NSW in two weeks time. We've never rented so I was worried about the same thing. We've got a friend in Oz whos been viewing properties for us and yesterday found one that she thought would be ideal. We submitted an application (she scanned it to us etc) and included our mortgage statement, utility bills, savings account statement, copy of passport and copy of drivers licence. Within 3 hours we got an email back saying that our application had been successful - no problem at all. On the application form they asked about our address and previous address. I stated on each of the addresses that we owned the property rather than rented and quoted the mortgage company names. The also asked for references but the names we quoted were just friends from the uk - they only asked for their name, occupation and phone number.

HTH

Rach xxxx
Old May 17th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Hi

We're moving to Richmond in NSW in two weeks time. We've never rented so I was worried about the same thing. We've got a friend in Oz whos been viewing properties for us and yesterday found one that she thought would be ideal. We submitted an application (she scanned it to us etc) and included our mortgage statement, utility bills, savings account statement, copy of passport and copy of drivers licence. Within 3 hours we got an email back saying that our application had been successful - no problem at all. On the application form they asked about our address and previous address. I stated on each of the addresses that we owned the property rather than rented and quoted the mortgage company names. The also asked for references but the names we quoted were just friends from the uk - they only asked for their name, occupation and phone number.

HTH

Rach xxxx
Hi Rach,

Could you please tell us which estate agent you rented through? We are looking to move to the same area soon and would really like to have something lined up in advance.

How are you finding it living in Richmond? We haven't lived around there before but we have family just outside Windsor so it seems like a good location for us. We'd love to hear how you have found it, and whether your stuff has arrived in one piece!

Cheers,
Tanya, Dave, Oscar & Megan
Old May 17th 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattvicki
Hi

We are looking to rent in Sydney, trouble is we are home owners in the UK and have not rented for 10 years so can't supply any landlord references to give any potential landlord for vetting.

Does anyone have any good idea of what we could provide.....I was thinking of a character ref from my UK employer or something ?

Any ideas ?

Matt
We brought bank statements with us and also character references. As it happens they did not want them as the real estate agent used her judgement and recommended us to the owner.
Old May 18th 2006, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

we were in the same situation, so we just paid the six months rental up front and gor the rental place we wanted, and the landlord was chuffed and so were we! There was 3 other people after the property as well so we were over the moon. I would say if you can do it that way, it saves alot of hassle.
Old May 18th 2006, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by funkybuddah
we were in the same situation, so we just paid the six months rental up front and gor the rental place we wanted, and the landlord was chuffed and so were we! There was 3 other people after the property as well so we were over the moon. I would say if you can do it that way, it saves alot of hassle.
Hi...when you pay 6 months in advance, does it mean that u don't pay anything until month 7?

OR

is it like a 6 month deposit?

Thanks
TC
Old May 18th 2006, 3:13 pm
Living the dream!

crystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi...when you pay 6 months in advance, does it mean that u don't pay anything until month 7?

OR

Thanks
TC
It's not my question to answer but I would assume that you then didn't pay anything until month 7 as you also have to pay a 'bond' which is the 'deposit' side of things and this is normally equal to several weeks rental.
Old May 18th 2006, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth

OR

Thanks
TC
We paid 6 months up front and that meant then that there were no payments till month 7, but we took the house on a 6 month lease anyway so we would have had to renegotiate then anyway (we actually broke the lease after 2 months and thought we would lose the rent we had paid but as they re let it straight away we got it back)
Old May 18th 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mattvicki
Hi

Any ideas ?

Matt
I was in the same situation when I moved to Sydney in Decemner last year, I didn't have to pay anything more than a month in advance just had to show that I had money in the bank and could afford the rent.
Old May 19th 2006, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by crystal113
It's not my question to answer but I would assume that you then didn't pay anything until month 7 as you also have to pay a 'bond' which is the 'deposit' side of things and this is normally equal to several weeks rental.
I think the bond is legally set at 4/5 weeks rent and is held by a third party - gaining interest which you get - and is refunded once both parties agree on the condition report at the end of the rental.

We had references and paid 3 months up front, but the references were never contacted anyway, we showed we had money in the bank and the landlord also check the passports to see that we had actually just arrived in Oz.