Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In Melbourne - after 3 months

In Melbourne - after 3 months

Old May 18th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default In Melbourne - after 3 months

Hi all

I did intend to do this much sooner, but have only recently got online at 'home'.

We left the UK on 18 Jan, spent a wonderful month touring Malaysia & Singapore and arrived in Melbourne on 17 Feb. We initially stayed at Chelsea Gardens Caravan Park in a 2 bed cabin (recommended by Fraser - thanks) until we could find a rental. Took longer than expected, but now in Aspendale Gardens. I will do this under headlines - so you can pick what's of interest to you! This is more info based - I will try and do personal impressions later.

Rentals
We liked the area around Chelsea, so viewed loads of properties in and around, inc. Edithvale, Aspendale, Seaford, Carrum, Patterson Lakes. We were hoping to find somewhere for slightly under $300 per week. However, those under that figure were either small or tatty. Found a lovely property in Patterson Lakes, but landlord didn't really want kids there. The estate agents who show you around are generally useless (no nothing about the property and many couldn't even remember how much the rent was). The application procedure is pretty straightforward and I think they only took out passport and driving licences as ID. We have ended up in a newish and large property in Aspendale Gardens at $330 per week. Not really what we wanted but after 5 weeks in the cabin - we needed somewhere
Had trouble as soon as we moved in with the neighbours - absent parents and teenagers and band practice in their garage! It was hell for the first two weeks and we had to contact the Council and police - who have both been really helpful. Parents back now and is a lot quieter - so fingers crossed. Other neighbours are lovely.
Work
Adam was lucky to secure a job before we left - not a great salary and in the CBD, but a good start. Anyway, the boss was a real pain in the ass, so Adam started looking for other jobs in the suburbs - boss found out and he was sacked on the spot :scared: By chance he secured another job that very afternoon - much closer to here and on more money - so he's happy now. It's also shift work (not nights) so he gets more time with the girls. For interest his basic here is the same as his basic + a lot of overtime in the UK (pre-press/graphics industry).
Admin - banks, Medicare etc
Opened a Westpac account easily - HSBC wanted a $2K initial deposit. Will do for now.
Medicare easy once have your home address - haven't used it yet.
Driving Licences - easy, don't need to re-test in Vic. Just ID and I think it was about $42 for 3 years licence.
Tax File No - can do on Internet (apply for one even if you don't intend to work as you will need one if you want to apply for Family Assistance).
Family Assistance/Centrelink - have started applying - but need to wait for my Tax File No (see above). Seems straightforward
Children
My 4 year old has just started Kinder/Pre-School - it is at a Council run centre as is for 10 hours a week. However, at this one you can't choose your hours - they have 3 sessions per week that your child can attend. Per term cost is $150. Daycare centres seem to charge around $59 per day. There are also Community Centres and such like that offer occasional care at good prices - around $15 per child for 3 hours - but you have to ring up and book each time.
A few indoor play centres around here - $13 for my two. Anbther is $16.
Haven't visited any indoor pools yet - we were luckily to arrive in the lovely Feb/Mar weather and Chelsea beach is gorgeous!
Shopping
I had followed a lot of food price threads before arriving and have spent some time finding out where the bargains are! I'm lucky in that I'm not working so I can call at various places to get certain things. I use Safeway for the majority of the shop - but can get fruit and veg much cheaper at Chelsea Fruit market. Again meat can be bought cheaper at other places - there's a good chicken shop and Aldi are good for some things. Also with time on my hands I can pick up the mark-down bargains! On the whole find it about 15% cheaper than the UK for food stuffs. But that of course depends on how fussy you are with brands!
Discount Shops - great for cheap bits and pieces for the kids (toys, sticker books etc) also kitchen bits and lots of tatt too!

We are settling in and enjoying ourselves and are in the process of buying a property in The Basin (past Boronia). After I said I was going to live near the beach!

I think that'll do for now! If I think of anything else I'll post some more. If you need any more info or my impressions on the suburbs etc, just let me know. I know how much I relied on Oz posters when I was in the process of moving!

Rachel
Old May 18th 2006, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Melbourne - after 3 months

Nice post Rachel.
Old May 18th 2006, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Lovely post. Glad you have settled in OK.
Old May 18th 2006, 10:00 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Great post glad you are enjoying your new life.

Loz x
Old May 18th 2006, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Great information thank you for taking time to write it
Mandy
Old May 18th 2006, 10:07 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post! glad to hear you have settled in wel!

Tracey
Old May 18th 2006, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Mandi-C will become famous soon enoughMandi-C will become famous soon enough

Lovely post. Think I could cope with that.
Hope you all have a great life in your home
Mandi

Originally Posted by The Crow
Hi all

I did intend to do this much sooner, but have only recently got online at 'home'.

We left the UK on 18 Jan, spent a wonderful month touring Malaysia & Singapore and arrived in Melbourne on 17 Feb. We initially stayed at Chelsea Gardens Caravan Park in a 2 bed cabin (recommended by Fraser - thanks) until we could find a rental. Took longer than expected, but now in Aspendale Gardens. I will do this under headlines - so you can pick what's of interest to you! This is more info based - I will try and do personal impressions later.

Rentals
We liked the area around Chelsea, so viewed loads of properties in and around, inc. Edithvale, Aspendale, Seaford, Carrum, Patterson Lakes. We were hoping to find somewhere for slightly under $300 per week. However, those under that figure were either small or tatty. Found a lovely property in Patterson Lakes, but landlord didn't really want kids there. The estate agents who show you around are generally useless (no nothing about the property and many couldn't even remember how much the rent was). The application procedure is pretty straightforward and I think they only took out passport and driving licences as ID. We have ended up in a newish and large property in Aspendale Gardens at $330 per week. Not really what we wanted but after 5 weeks in the cabin - we needed somewhere
Had trouble as soon as we moved in with the neighbours - absent parents and teenagers and band practice in their garage! It was hell for the first two weeks and we had to contact the Council and police - who have both been really helpful. Parents back now and is a lot quieter - so fingers crossed. Other neighbours are lovely.
Work
Adam was lucky to secure a job before we left - not a great salary and in the CBD, but a good start. Anyway, the boss was a real pain in the ass, so Adam started looking for other jobs in the suburbs - boss found out and he was sacked on the spot :scared: By chance he secured another job that very afternoon - much closer to here and on more money - so he's happy now. It's also shift work (not nights) so he gets more time with the girls. For interest his basic here is the same as his basic + a lot of overtime in the UK (pre-press/graphics industry).
Opened a Westpac account easily - HSBC wanted a $2K initial deposit. Will do for now.
Driving Licences - easy, don't need to re-test in Vic. Just ID and I think it was about $42 for 3 years licence.
Tax File No - can do on Internet (apply for one even if you don't intend to work as you will need one if you want to apply for Family Assistance).
Family Assistance/Centrelink - have started applying - but need to wait for my Tax File No (see above). Seems straightforward
Children
My 4 year old has just started Kinder/Pre-School - it is at a Council run centre as is for 10 hours a week. However, at this one you can't choose your hours - they have 3 sessions per week that your child can attend. Per term cost is $150. Daycare centres seem to charge around $59 per day. There are also Community Centres and such like that offer occasional care at good prices - around $15 per child for 3 hours - but you have to ring up and book each time.
Haven't visited any indoor pools yet - we were luckily to arrive in the lovely Feb/Mar weather and Chelsea beach is gorgeous!
Shopping
I had followed a lot of food price threads before arriving and have spent some time finding out where the bargains are! I'm lucky in that I'm not working so I can call at various places to get certain things. I use Safeway for the majority of the shop - but can get fruit and veg much cheaper at Chelsea Fruit market. Again meat can be bought cheaper at other places - there's a good chicken shop and Aldi are good for some things. Also with time on my hands I can pick up the mark-down bargains! On the whole find it about 15% cheaper than the UK for food stuffs. But that of course depends on how fussy you are with brands!
Discount Shops - great for cheap bits and pieces for the kids (toys, sticker books etc) also kitchen bits and lots of tatt too!

We are settling in and enjoying ourselves and are in the process of buying a property in The Basin (past Boronia). After I said I was going to live near the beach!

I think that'll do for now! If I think of anything else I'll post some more. If you need any more info or my impressions on the suburbs etc, just let me know. I know how much I relied on Oz posters when I was in the process of moving!

Rachel
Old May 18th 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

minimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura about

Cheers for the info, very helpful & encouraging.
Old May 18th 2006, 6:41 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Rentals
Work
Children
Shopping

Rachel
Thanks for a good informative post.......
Old May 18th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light

Great post. I'm interested to see you are looking The Basin. OH has job in Ringwood, so looking at that area. Why did you choose there? Is it very quiet (got a 17 year old to think about). Hoping to be there end of June. Any info about that area much appreciated.
Sue
Old May 18th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bookie
Great post. I'm interested to see you are looking The Basin. OH has job in Ringwood, so looking at that area. Why did you choose there? Is it very quiet (got a 17 year old to think about). Hoping to be there end of June. Any info about that area much appreciated.
Sue
Hi Sue

I had searched many areas for houses before leaving the UK and liked the look of some of the properties in that area - and also Upwey, Tecoma, Belgrave, Upper Ferntree Gully. I didn't think we would move there, as we initially wanted to be nearer the coast. However, when we took a drive up there we fell in love with the area. It's very pretty, lovely views of the Dandenongs, lots of parrots & cockatoos, nice little 'town' communities - quirky shops/cafes - Belgrave reminds me of a mini Glastonbury! Also more space and unusual properties to be found. You don't feel so crammed in.
I'm not sure what the scene would be like for a teenager - but Boronia is quite close to The Basin.

Hope this helps

Rachel
Old May 19th 2006, 1:06 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sue

I had searched many areas for houses before leaving the UK and liked the look of some of the properties in that area - and also Upwey, Tecoma, Belgrave, Upper Ferntree Gully. I didn't think we would move there, as we initially wanted to be nearer the coast. However, when we took a drive up there we fell in love with the area. It's very pretty, lovely views of the Dandenongs, lots of parrots & cockatoos, nice little 'town' communities - quirky shops/cafes - Belgrave reminds me of a mini Glastonbury! Also more space and unusual properties to be found. You don't feel so crammed in.
I'm not sure what the scene would be like for a teenager - but Boronia is quite close to The Basin.

Hope this helps

Rachel

Shhhhhhhh Don't tell everyone.